Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

07 Denali rear mount turbo parts list

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Denali rear mount turbo parts list

I'm new too turbos and ls style engines for sure. I've built a 10 second lt1 in the past but that was with spray. I have a 1999 mustang gt that I'm in the process of building also which has a Paxton novi 2000, built 4.6, and a nos Cheater plate kit. My daily driver is a 2007 Yukon Denali. I'm wanting too build a custom rear mount turbo setup with 7-8 lbs of boost max. I'm not sure what exactly will I need?
Will stock injectors work? Do I need a meth kit or intercooler or will the 8 lbs not require it? Will my fuel pump be up too the task? What about the map sensor? I just want a substantial hp gain that'll make my suv more fun too drive. Sorry about the noob questions but this really is my first rodeo with these engines, I'm a quick learner just need some pointers too head in the right direction. Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2015, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont list how much boost you are going for, list the power you want to make then go from there.

8lbs would be about 600 crank hp. You will need injectors and a fuel pump. 80lbs injectors and a single 340 pump should work. A 1:1 boost referenced regulator too.

Get a gm 2 bar sensor.

This just scratches the surface of your project. Do you plan on building this yourself? If so you have a ton of reading to do.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

The reason I didn't state power is because I want too stay within the engines limitations. From what I've read 6-8 lbs of boost is about the max you would wanna run on a stock l92. As far as reading goes I don't think i quite follow you. I do understand how turbos work, and I did fab up my whole intercooler, bov, maf, and intake on my mustang gt. I'm just not familiar with ls style engines at all. The last Chevy engine I worked on was my lt1 which is basically an old school sbc with a crank trigger and reverse cooling aluminum heads. My 99 gt is making 18 lbs of boost , has a 340 lph pump with a jms fuelmax v2, and 80lb Siemen deka ev1 injectors . I want too do this as cheap as possible as I'm on a budget because of my other two builds. the hardest part in my eyes will be routing the cold piping, and the return and feed lines. The rest shouldn't be too bad . I just didn't know what the stock fuel system could handle and if I was going too need an intercooler or meth at the boost level I inquired about
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

With a rear mount at 8#'s you shouldn't need a intercooler or meth as long as your timing table is correct. You will need a scavenge pump though. There are lots of rear mount builds on PT you can follow.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Whatever you read that said you can only run 8# of boost on a stock L92 was wrong.

But, to avoid needing an intercooler or meth, you should stay below 10psi.

Run stock exhaust manifolds, no cats, run a 2.5" pipe from each manifold in true dual fashion, without a merge/X/H pipe, to each side of a divided T4 or T6 flange. Wrap the pipes in exhaust wrap the whole way. Put a big turbo with a divided exhaust housing on it for less backpressure and less heat. You will want a low pressure ratio to help it spool faster, especially that far away from the motor. You will need a pump and lines to route engine oil to and from the turbo. And a coldside pipe to get your charge air to the motor.

You could also run 2.5" pipes from the manifolds to a Y-pipe, with a single 3" pipe leading to a T4 or T6 flange that is not divided. And use a turbo without a divided exhaust housing.

Whatever makes plumbing easier for you. Either way, wrap the exhaust the manifolds to the turbo.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man I really appreciate the help. I'm looking for more power and longevity and 8 lbs should let this beast live awhile. Eventually I wI'll buy a built stroker from Texas speed and if this engine is still alive I'm gonna push it too the limit in my 2002 mustang gt, I honestly think I'll be using spray and doing a cam swap when that time comes. What turbo would you recommend exactly? And what size return/feed lines? Also do you have a good source for the scavenger pump?

Quick Reply: 07 Denali rear mount turbo parts list