Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

High flow cats need some info. how to make exhaust quieter

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High flow cats need some info. how to make exhaust quieter

the car is a 427 with a F1C running long tube headers with 3 inch dual exhaust with spintec muffles. love the sound when on the gas hard or going down the track

Im looking to add kooks catted mid pipes to make the car quieter at idle / kill highway drone and get rid of some of the gas smell.

how much power will i lose going to catted mids?
how long will they last on a 850rwhp car ?
will they just burn up on a long hard pull?

Is there a bullet muffler that would kill the drone but not to much power or change the sound when reving out /floored ?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cats are not going to make it that much quieter and they definitely won't kill the drone spintechs are known for. They will take away some of the rasp but that's about it.

Yes bullet mufflers will work much better, and in conjunction with cats you can have a quiet idle, no drone and no smell car. Get some cheapo dynomax ones as you don't need fancy stuff for what this will do.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the cats are going back on and i ordered this Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator

I just have to pick where to install the resonator right after the cats of right before the exhaust tips ?

any thoughts on where to install to kill the drone but keep the over all exhaust sound ?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider an X pipe while your in there.
It will mellow out the tone, remove most if not all the rasp & has scavenging properties for performance. More over, it will enhance the sound of those spintechs. Can't speak to the drone but my guess is that it will alter the pulses enough that it will certainly make a difference.

( the creator of Spintech, Boyd Butler aka Dr. Gas, is a literal rocket scientist. He developed those mufflers to work in conjunction with an xpipe for optimal performance & sound). The drone is left to be dealt with.

Quick Reply: High flow cats need some info. how to make exhaust quieter