Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

JE Forged 5.3 Pistons anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JE Forged 5.3 Pistons anyone?

Hey guys. I am looking to get some feedback on some pistons we are thinking about getting made. I know the market for 5.3 pistons is very limited. How many of you would like another option? We are thinking about having JE make us some 5.3 stock bore 9-9.5:1 pistons. I am throwing the idea out of what to set the compression height at. Would more of you be using stock rods or would want to go to something common like a 6.125" with a normal pin size? So here are your options. Please tell me what route you would go. If I get enough feedback, these will go in to production.

9:1 or 9.5:1? (61cc head .052" gasket)

Setup for the stock rods or common aftermarket rods?

Coated skirts?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Since early rods were pressed pin, and later were bushed, did they use the same pin size?
I would guess you would be making dished pistons?
Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

Both the press fit and floaters had different size pins. We would only do the floating style. I figure a good used set of floating style rods are cheap to come across. It also makes putting the pin in easy to do at home. Most people with press fit rods will have to go to a machine shop to get swapped which cost more $$$. At the same time, I am thinking of going with the common size aftermarket rod due to the fact that I think more people will do a piston/rod combo over just a forged pistons. It would make a much more stout setup.

These would be dished pistons or at least a flat top with decent size valve reliefs. It all depends on what compression we end up going with.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

My opinion, for what it's worth, would be for a 9.5:1 compression, flat top with extra large, radiused valve reliefs, and set up for some common 6.125" rod and standard pin diameter.

I would rather have a ceramic coated top, than moly coated skirt. But that's just me.

It's cool to see some love for the small bore blocks. Always like options.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Thank you David. Might help you get closer to that long stroke stock bore 5.3 you want to do... I am sure I can get the pin height moved around for your combo.

Any other opinions out there?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd love another option. I'd be wanting something a little higher compression, although 9.5:1 is fine with me. Also, I'd be using the 6.125" rods, and a standard pin. A heavy duty pin as an upgrade would be nice as well.

Quick Reply: JE Forged 5.3 Pistons anyone?