Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need detailed info on fbody STS rear turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need detailed info on fbody STS rear turbo

So basically.. I drive my car less than 500 miles a year (only summer, and very little at that). My car is a h/c/i 98 trans am with supporting mods. I'm basically bored and want more power and something different that not many people have. I noticed the sts rear mount turbo setups can be had for pretty cheap lately and wondered what everyone's honest opinions and thoughts were on them?

If you have one or have had one please chime in. I have 400whp now, figured with this I should easily achieve 550+rwhp depending on turbo and such. What all is recommended or any tips or things people did to make them more reliable if that is a issue? Have heard good and bad things about them, mainly only bad being oil issues. I plan to keep my trans am the way it is and hidden with ac still in tact. Thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought a camaro with a STS kit. the turbo is messed up. looks like the oil was getting passed the seal or something and seized the turbo. I going to replace the turbo, the scavenging pump and add a check valve. im thinking not having a good scavenging pump and check valve is what killed it....
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

So basically pump and check valve gotta watch for
Old 10-08-2015, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

I have a cutout, would I loose that or be able to keep it?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Short answer, you would loose the cut out.

Long answer:
The exhaust obviously needs to get to the turbo... i mean thats what spools the turbo... so if your turbo is in the back of the car and your cutout is dumping exhaust before the turbo...no boost.
Theoretically, the only reason I can think of for a cutout with a rear mount turbo would be the desire to run mufflers and a cat in "normal" driving conditions. you could put the cut out after the turbo for a greater pressure differential on the hot side of the turbo so it would spool faster than if all the exhaust was flowing through the turbo and then a full muffler set up. That being said, i'm fairly certain an fbody has no where near enough room for a setup like that. i think you'd be hard pressed to fit all that in the back of a pickup truck with a fuel cell mounted in the bed. I've seen one fbody in person with an sts kit and it was running just a turn down after the turbo. it was surprisingly quiet for having no mufflers or resonators. certainly louder than stock but very reasonable driving by. I imagine that it would be near stock volume levels inside the car because the exhaust is exiting so far behind the driver.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

I'm also getting blah reviews about the sts. I want around 550-600rwhp. I feel like the sts would be pushing it and putting a lot of stress to achieve that. Granted, with my current h/c/i setup I would easily get to 500rwhp, but more than that I feel is hard with this kit.

I hear everyone loves prochargers.. I want to keep my car as loud as it is, whether it be from rear exhaust or the cutout. Would procharger be a better option?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

It is easy to make 550-600 and have a lot of fun with car. A rear mount turbo can work well. What mods do you have now?
Old 10-10-2015, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...urbo-saga.html
Old 10-10-2015, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

For an excellent turbo kit for your Trans Am, check out our kits! Amazing kits that perform, last, and we provide unmatched service to assist you with your set-up, any install questions, etc 7 days a week; morning, noon and night! Do a search here on the forum, we are always on here supporting the forum and have been for many years.

Check out our full line up of kits on our website here: http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/Turbo-Kits_c6.htm

We have available:
-Bringing back our older v1 truck manifold kit for a budget kit option
-V2 T4 kit (removes AC)
-V2 T4 kit (retains AC)
-V2 T6 Kit
-V2 Twin T4 Kit

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

I saw the huron setups and they had great reviews. Either a sts or huron though I would want to get a oil less turbo from comp. That being said, I feel like either would be a close bet but not sure. I can find used sts kits cheap, but the hurons are def. much more well liked around here due to reliability.

I also seem to find that the reason the sts kits aren't reliable is the oil line.. which I wouldn't need with a oil less turbo anyways so I'm not sure which to go with now lol
Old 10-10-2015, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You can find used kits cheaper for sure, however you are going to have all used pieces and no support. Purchasing one of our kits up front may be a little more expensive however you are getting all new components, warranties, and our customer service and support to assist with any of your needs and questions. Not to mention a kit that has many cars in the 9s with ease, excellent quality and materials used in the locations needed to provide a product that will last, and features that nothing else can compare to for a front mount kit! Any other questions feel free to ask and I would be happy to assist and put together a package for you. We just set another forum member up last week with our v2 kit who was switching from a rear mount kit!
Old 10-10-2015, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
For an excellent turbo kit for your Trans Am, check out our kits! Amazing kits that perform, last, and we provide unmatched service to assist you with your set-up, any install questions, etc 7 days a week; morning, noon and night! Do a search here on the forum, we are always on here supporting the forum and have been for many years.

Check out our full line up of kits on our website here: http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/Turbo-Kits_c6.htm

We have available:
-Bringing back our older v1 truck manifold kit for a budget kit option
-V2 T4 kit (removes AC)
-V2 T4 kit (retains AC)
-V2 T6 Kit
-V2 Twin T4 Kit
This^^^^^

Jon is an awesome guy to deal with, and when he says "unmatched service", he couldn't speak truer words. I bought the v2 kit and I have asked him questions literally on every day of the week, even late evening, and he has gotten right back with me. He is a top notch guy and sells an amazing kit! It's definitely worth the money man, you can't go wrong.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

You can find used kits cheaper for sure, however you are going to have all used pieces and no support. Purchasing one of our kits up front may be a little more expensive however you are getting all new components, warranties, and our customer service and support to assist with any of your needs and questions. Not to mention a kit that has many cars in the 9s with ease, excellent quality and materials used in the locations needed to provide a product that will last, and features that nothing else can compare to for a front mount kit! Any other questions feel free to ask and I would be happy to assist and put together a package for you. We just set another forum member up last week with our v2 kit who was switching from a rear mount kit!
What is a reasonable safe goal would you say? I'm already at 400rwhp now with mods in sig. I would be aiming for around 600rwhp which it seems is extremely easy lately with this kit. However, I'm not sure what turbo to get from comp. I want a oil less one unless people have heard bad things about them and suggest otherwise paired with racetronix fuel pump & 80lb injectors. Not sure what T4 oil less turbo's I should be looking into though.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

This also sounds very silly but.. I wish there was some way to keep my front bird plate lol. Like.. use my side air vents under the DRL's to channel air to the intercooler instead or something to make it more hidden & still keep the front trans am bird.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by fccs
What is a reasonable safe goal would you say? I'm already at 400rwhp now with mods in sig. I would be aiming for around 600rwhp which it seems is extremely easy lately with this kit. However, I'm not sure what turbo to get from comp. I want a oil less one unless people have heard bad things about them and suggest otherwise paired with racetronix fuel pump & 80lb injectors. Not sure what T4 oil less turbo's I should be looking into though.
We have a few customers running Comp Oil-Less on our kits, nice stuff. I also have the fittings for the engine to easily supply and return coolant to them
Most are running Billet 78's, I would recommend running their new 82/75 turbine wheel and if you are only going to want 600-700, maybe 750 rwhp, couple that with the billet 74mm wheel. If you want a little more peak potential, run the 7875.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by fccs
This also sounds very silly but.. I wish there was some way to keep my front bird plate lol. Like.. use my side air vents under the DRL's to channel air to the intercooler instead or something to make it more hidden & still keep the front trans am bird.
You can keep it with the standard FMIC. Trim out the center of the license plate area leaving the slots for the filler plate as well as the spot for the screws. You can then put the filler plate on when you want, and then remove it when you want to get good air to the FMIC. You could also take it a step further like I did on my last street car and cut out the bird only in the filler plate. This will look like just a logo on the front plate until you look close finding it is cut out allowing air through.

Name:  38655DFA-7554-4D02-A899-0A2BE85A89B2_zps38jotl12.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  78C1FD2F-66B8-4257-80A3-B182D5A05DD6_zpsdotgsbxn.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  DSC03487_zpsqrvyphvn.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  81.4 KB

Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Good to know! I say 6-700 because I'm unsure what a stock bottom end can hold when boosted really. I've seen numbers all over the place, my top end is built it's my bottom end I worry about. What are people with the oil less tubos using?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

All of our oil less customers run the 78 however for something 600-700 hp I would do the 74 with the 75 turbine wheel. If you want 750+ go for the 7875. Same pricing. Getting the bottom end to live is just making sure you have enough fuel and the tube is spot on. I would feel comfortable up to about 12 psi and 600 ish rwhp. Many have gone farther without issues however, all up to how hard you feel comfortable pushing it.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

All of our oil less customers run the 78 however for something 600-700 hp I would do the 74 with the 75 turbine wheel. If you want 750+ go for the 7875. Same pricing. Getting the bottom end to live is just making sure you have enough fuel and the tube is spot on. I would feel comfortable up to about 12 psi and 600 ish rwhp. Many have gone farther without issues however, all up to how hard you feel comfortable pushing it.
I am thinking realistically my target is 700rwhp. Nothing over that, but more than 600rwhp.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Can you recommend what turbo I should look at? Oil less, t4, that would put me at a 650-700rwhp mark. I have 412rwhp to be exact right now with mods in sig. I am doing rod bolts, head studs, and other such strengthening items along with new bearings while motor will be out.

Quick Reply: Need detailed info on fbody STS rear turbo