holley dominator startup issues on turbo lq4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chub406
How do you quote someone? lol

chiaj144
When you said your AFR numbers were 9.2(E85) was that with the higher fuel pressure? If so you are still going to be way to lean at the lower fuel pressure. What is the AFR at the lower fuel pressure? Will it idle now?

the fuel pressure was only at that long enough for my buddy to turn it down. It fired up once with the lower pressure. After that. No more without foot on the peddle. Its kept commanded A/F dead on.
Okay got you now. Sounds like your heading in the right direction now.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned the screw way in. Did tps reset and bam! Car fired up and idled! I even remembered to datalog it. Lol so if that would help anyone on anything, let me know.
I let it idle and did learn function up to about 2000 rpm.
At 160 im around 10% give or take 5% on IAC. I also upped my cranking pressure in the highr degrees because on thing I have noticed is the colder the car is. The easier it seems to fire up and not have to touch the throttle.
It started doing the foot on the throttle again. lmao i have the enrichment set to 100 at like 120 degrees so the learn function will work. That might be it. Just seems like colder is better.

When Im working the gas. The tranny says im in 1st gear. Then second and doing 55mph. I really hope im not burning up my tranny. There is no driveshaft but its got prob 7 quarts in it. Is that normal? There trans is in park for sure. Im running threw the neutral safety switch.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "turning the cranking pressure up." What pressure? Second, having the enrichment set to 100 means there is no additional fuel being added. Over 100 is the amount added (ex. 115 means 15% more fuel added). You having this at 100 means it's not going to add any fuel and you have to manually tune it. If it were me, I'd just tune the idle manually and not have the learning function on at such a low rpm. Once learning correction is less than 5%, turn off the learn at that rpm. I think the IAC value should be lower, but I'm not positive. 10 give or take 5 is a big swing. Seems it should be more steady. But again, I don't use one, so I have no experience to go off of.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for a post on Holley idle tuning by Danny Cabbral. It will get you where you need to be. Make sure your timing isn't jumping all over at idle in the main table. I wouldn't have the learn turned on until the car is at or near operating temp. It's going to want more fuel at 120* than it does at 180. If you have the car starting now leave it, drive it until you have a solid main fuel table. Once your main table is done you can work on the start/idle tables to get it to start and idle better. I found the idle was the hardest part to get sorted out.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I meant cranking Fuel. Its quite a steep curve. From about 54 to 11 by 160. So my thought process is that it fires up great when cold. Its getting alot more cranking fuel. Couldnt hurt to add my fuel.
Ya. I turned it to 100 so the learn would work at idle. Holley site says between 5 and 15%.

It wont be on the street until next spring. Just want to have the car idling correctly when I bolt on the turbo.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Put a driveshaft in it, or a yoke and make it so it wont move b4 you damage the trans-a lot of parts are moving from drag that need fluid
Then top off the trans fluid
Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont forget that you want to do a majority of your idle learning with the car in gear and your foot on the brake. You need to create a load on the engine.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

The fluid isn't coming out the tail shaft. I know its in park. Ive got fluid in it after I fired it. Don't want to hurt the tranny.
What about setting the fuel pressure? Its boost reference, I have it hooked up to vacuum. I seen some threads that said you have to set it with no vacuum?

I don't have brakes hooked up. Im not trying to tune it for the long haul. Just wanting to get it to idle and fire up. Then when I get my turbo on, I know that car will at least start. I'm assuming the work with the IAC will change with a load?

I messed around with it this weekend. I got the IAC down to 5% with it at temp. When it is cold. It fires right up. After it gets warm. I have too put my foot on the gas to get it to fire. I tried adding more fuel to the coolent enrichment to match closer to the colder temps 135%. Thats made the car sound flooded. So I pulled fuel to 110% at 160. Sounded better but still didnt fire. Once I put my foot on it. It fires and idles fine. Which direction would that point me in?
Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

There is a fuel prime, as I remember by pushing the acell. down to a certain point
It may need more cranking fuel, or under system ICF there is a fuel prime, might ck that
Set your base FP without the vac line hooked-I prefer to just run a boost line to the reg,
as the vac/boost lowers the FP below the base pres under vac, just kind of adds to the tuning

Quick Reply: holley dominator startup issues on turbo lq4