Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

holley dominator startup issues on turbo lq4

Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default holley dominator startup issues on turbo lq4

Im using the 850 horse turbo ls tune straight from the startup tunes. Fired up my car for the first time. It stumbled but caught itself and idled great. Shut it down and fired it up and still idled great. Lowered fuel pressure down from 80 to 51. Shut the car off. Went to start it. Won't fire unless you put your foot on the gas. Then fires up and runs good as long as you hold it. If you try to let it idle. It will die. Im going to unplug the IAC tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I also seen on the forums about adjusting the idle with the throttle body screw. At 0% tps. How far open if at all, should the throttle body be open? Its just crazy to me how it idled and ran great. Then nothing. I have not tried turning the fuel pressure back up because thats way to high. The learn feature is active and learning. I am running E85. I know this isn't much to go off of but seeing if I can get some direction from the guys that know what they are doing. lol Thanks!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to adjust my blade to about 10% and then do a tps auto set all over again. it reset the new position to 0%. I did it it in small increments until the car would idle. Then reset it. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it but it worked for me and I haven't had any issues.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Benaslxnova is right. Any time you adjust the throttle, you have to reset the TP or else it'll think you're going down the road and it'll be all jacked up. Not a big deal. Takes about 3 seconds. Also, I have the Hp in a car of mine and it's on pump gas. The cold AFR starts off .5 richer than my final idle AFR and tapers off as the car warms up to 160. Once it's at 160, it's at my desired AFR. I'd get the car running, hold the throttle open or whatever you have to do to get it up to temp, the. Adjust the throttle blade. Turn the car off, reset the TP and retry it. Also, be sure you reset your fuel pressure value in the setup drop down of you changed it. It needs to match what you're actually running. That value plus te injector size affects the calculation for fuel. Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. Your not getting any air into the engine when your foot is off the gas. I bet your IAC% is 100% where it should be 0-10% while idling. Use the adjuster screw to crack the blade open a little and see if it idles.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

It idled fine with 80lbs of fuel and won't at 51? Your too lean. How many lbs/hr in the idle area? You want the IAC to be around 4-6% open at hot idle. I wouldn't touch it until you get it up to operating temp. What was the AFR with 80lbs pressure? What is it now? Start adding fuel in the idle area see what it does.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

PS- isn't that 850 tune a gasoline tune? If so you need to add 30% to the entire fuel table as well as cranking fuel, AE vs TPS and MAP ROC's
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have adjusted for e85. I went through and adjusted all the tables by 1.35. AFR by .65 according to holleys techs. That was the first thing I did in the tune.
Base Fuel Map
AE vs TPS Rate of Change
AE vs MAP Rate of Change
THIS IS WHAT I ADJUSTED^
Per the converting gas to e85 forums on Holleys website.
I did not increase cranking fuel by 30%.Due to shear ignorance, I didn't see that on the list so I didn't even think about it. lol Which makes perfect sense. I have just added that.

The last screenshot I have of my gage panel says IAC 40%. Idk if thats with my foot on it or it shutting off. Just what was on the screen when I turned the car off.

At idle they were 9.2. At around 1200 they were around 8.3.

So its perfectly fine to have my 0%tps be with the throttle body actually open? Thats how it would be all the time. Couldn't that be harmful in a boosted application? Maybe I'm over thinking it. lol
Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Throttle open for idle and tps at 0 is fine.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went and loaded the tune. With the key on. Not trying to start it. The IAC is at 51%
Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Fair enough. Thank you for the answers.
I will try adjusting that screw. It will be me bye myself. Is it just adjust the screw so its open. Fire it. Try to adjust from there.
The computer will be controlling the idle.I have it set to 1000. Its going to see the throttle is open. When I back the screw off. Do I just go until it stays at 1000. Shut it down. Do the TPS. Right?

For cranking perimeters I have timing 15 and run to rpm 500. That sound correct?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chub406
Fair enough. Thank you for the answers.
I will try adjusting that screw. It will be me bye myself. Is it just adjust the screw so its open. Fire it. Try to adjust from there.
The computer will be controlling the idle.I have it set to 1000. Its going to see the throttle is open. When I back the screw off. Do I just go until it stays at 1000. Shut it down. Do the TPS. Right?

For cranking perimeters I have timing 15 and run to rpm 500. That sound correct?
Have your lab top handy. Keep turning the screw until your IAC drops in the 0-10% range. Dont worry about Idle RPM yet. As you turn the screw you will see the percentage drop. Once its in the optimal range do a TPS reset and that's it.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chub406
I went and loaded the tune. With the key on. Not trying to start it. The IAC is at 51%
Don't worry about that yet. Do what others suggested and get the IAC set at operating temp. Your TPS must be at zero or the "IAC hold" setting will control the position of the IAC valve.
When you said your AFR numbers were 9.2(E85) was that with the higher fuel pressure? If so you are still going to be way to lean at the lower fuel pressure. What is the AFR at the lower fuel pressure? Will it idle now? If not add fuel in the idle area until it does. When I first loaded the tune in my car it did the same thing. It wouldn't run until I got more fuel into it.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

I've been having similar issues with mine, I'm trying to run the 160 lb holley injectors on pump gas but switching to e85 when I turn it up. It has become very sensitive to 1% change will kill the car. Trying to get a handle on it as well
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Unplug the IAC and forget it until the car is up to temp. Then start adjusting the IAC% by turning the screw. I have this system on a stack injection manifold and I don't even have an IAC, so it's doable. You'd actually never know the engine doesn't have an IAC. Put a couple degrees of timing in it while it's cold, have it decay over time until the car's warm (140 degrees or so). Runs fine. Sometimes the IACs can be a pain.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

After giving it some thought, did you change the setting to e85 in the parameters section? I you did but you're showing "gas" AFR values, it's going to be super lean. If you're using gas, leave the parameter setting in gasoline.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do you quote someone? lol

chiaj144
When you said your AFR numbers were 9.2(E85) was that with the higher fuel pressure? If so you are still going to be way to lean at the lower fuel pressure. What is the AFR at the lower fuel pressure? Will it idle now?

the fuel pressure was only at that long enough for my buddy to turn it down. It fired up once with the lower pressure. After that. No more without foot on the peddle. Its kept commanded A/F dead on the whole time.

cherp22 I've been having similar issues with mine, I'm trying to run the 160 lb holley injectors on pump gas but switching to e85 when I turn it up. It has become very sensitive to 1% change will kill the car. Trying to get a handle on it as well

Do you have a build thread? I got a mini tubbed regal with a s480 etr ho. Same setup as you pretty much.

Yes I put it to E85. Running e85 A/F 9.2 idle.

So a small update...I had about 20 mins and my brothers help.lol I fired it up. I adjusted the screw while holding open the throttle to keep it running. I adjusted prob a bit shy of 1/4 of an inch. The car only got to 150 degrees. I did not reset tps. I wanted to try to get it as warm as possible. Every time I adjusted the screw. It seemed to try to idle better.
Tomorrow, First thing I will do is reset TPS. See what it does.
I have noticed when its in learn status. It is pulling fuel around 15% in every cell. If that even matters at this point.
So should I keep the IAC plugged in or unplugged when I fire it up first thing?

Thanks Guys!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

I'd see how it starts and runs with the IAC unplugged, at least you'd know you're startup tune is good. Then I'd go ahead and adjust the IAC accordingly.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 AM
Teching In

What MAP sensor do you have?
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

3 window After giving it some thought, did you change the setting to e85 in the parameters section? I you did but you're showing "gas" AFR values, it's going to be super lean. If you're using gas, leave the parameter setting in gasoline.

Idk what you mean. Changing to the e85 setting does not change your a/f to e85 scale. You have to conver it, other wise 1d be at 14.0 With E85. Instead of 9.2. So far I don't see what selecting E85 in system parameters, even does to anything with the tune. Ihad to adjust everything myself.

Im running the 3 bar holley map.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

We played around with the injector pw and have it doing better now. Its ready to go drive and learn hopefully. I'm still on pump and I'm using the holley 3 bar map

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: holley dominator startup issues on turbo lq4