Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First turbo project - Am I dumb for wanting to do twin turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
I prefer to support Americans over the chinese. Think about it, they take American made items because they don't have the ingenuity to create it themselves. They copy it and market it out at a fraction of the price because they didn't spend the money and research it took to create the item to begin with.

You feel good supporting chinese, I feel good supporting my fellow Americans. When this douchebag president gets out of office maybe there will be a president that brings jobs home and cuts the free trade agreement. We Americans are in so much debt to china because folks like you buy all their ****.
Oh your one of those guys where everything is tied to politics and everything is Obama's fault. Who cares if I buy cheap ****. If it weren't for the cheap knock offs broke *** ****'s like me could only dream about building a turbo car. There's a place in the market for both the cheap **** and the expensive ****. You obviously can afford the nicer parts as I cannot (unless I tell my kids to stop eating for a couple months). Again there's a place for both of them.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No not everything is Obama's fault. There is also the house, senate, supreme court and lobbyists.

I'm not rich and I do work for a living. Support my wife and 4 kids. No government welfare for me.

In my experience, trying to go the cheap route has always bit me in the *** and cost me more in the long run. I posted my personal experiences with chinese **** and I'm done. If I was obviously rich my car would have been done months ago.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sschoeffler, Much like the politicians you seem to change your mind up pretty quick. Here is a quote from a thread you started.

"3. The headers are 16gauge, Checked them myself. Guess what, Stainless works uses 16 gauge also. Stainless works uses 304ss...guess what, these headers are also 304ss. I don't care if stainless comes from US, Japan, Germany, China, Mars...Guess what...Its still 304ss.
4. Two reasons I didn't go with stainless works headers.
First off, I wanted to retain my A/C. Their LS1 fbody headers that retain A/C are ugly as ****. There is nothing symmetric about them, the passenger side collector curves to the right real hard while the drivers side comes out straight. I called them, they offered no modifications, however if I wanted to pay a **** load more money I could buy the kit they send you to custom build headers. Not looking at spending $2000+ on headers....
Secondly Don't get me wrong, I love my country, pay my taxes, and support it in any way I can. But when you have a choice to buy the same thing and your choice is $280 for overseas item or $1,080 for the American item...Lets face it, there is a gigantic freaking markup and anyone with a brain would choose the overseas item unless you just have thousands of dollars that you gotta get rid of quick. Now granted this is for the same design, thickness, and stainless steel."
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...dn-t-done.html
Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously you learned from that experience and thats awesome but at least cut these guys some slack that are saying Chinese is all they can afford.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't care if stainless comes from US, Japan, Germany, China, Mars...Guess what...Its still 304ss.
Unfortunetly this isn't the case. Ebay china stainless doesn't weld nearly as nicely as a piece from say, aceraceparts or other reputable suppliers.

Not being able to afford parts is a cop out. I work 40 hours a week (minimum wage), go to class for 5hrs a day after that (which i'm paying for myself) and i'm still building my dream project car and have a healthy savings acount. Im not at all trying to brag just putting into perspective what smart spending/budgeting can do. Using quality parts has a number of advantages: good fitment, better warranty, better customer service, better resale value, among other things.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS
Unfortunetly this isn't the case. Ebay china stainless doesn't weld nearly as nicely as a piece from say, aceraceparts or other reputable suppliers.

Not being able to afford parts is a cop out. I work 40 hours a week (minimum wage), go to class for 5hrs a day after that (which i'm paying for myself) and i'm still building my dream project car and have a healthy savings acount. Im not at all trying to brag just putting into perspective what smart spending/budgeting can do. Using quality parts has a number of advantages: good fitment, better warranty, better customer service, better resale value, among other things.
Add 3 kids a wife and a mortgage and you might change your tune. I'm happy with my purchases and I stand by my previous statements.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're correct our situations can't be compared apples to apples. I was just enlightening others that you can indeed by quality parts on a budget if you're willing to wait a little longer to save and bargain hunt. I apologize if you were offended by my comment.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP...

"Twins Bazel, Twins!"
Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS

i dont believe that to be true. from my experience cheap china manifold cracks because of the quality of the weld as well as lack of support for a turbo application. meaning putting a turbo 1 foot away, couple with bad welds and no support. your asking for a crack.

I have repaired 1 personal one by rewelding it and it worked great after/didnt crack after. I have repaired atleast 3 others when i was working at the shop. never seen those guys back so i assume it works.

this is a common thing that dsmtuners guys recommend adding support tabs on ebay manifold before putting them on to prevent possible cracks.
some dont crack though so. it might depends on where you get them

considering tubular cost 500+ vs 100 china made. for me adding tabs and support is well worth it.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:24 PM
vht
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You can buy American or China and the metal in anything produced anymore is junk. We sell all our good stuff to China! Look at the brake rotors, lines, fuel, trans, and brake on any American car that is over a couple of yrs old. Not getting into the USA made and the China debate, it just sucks anymore that quality is down the drain. A friend bought a rifle scope, great big Made in the USA on the box. Opened it and the scope had a made in china sticker on it.

Quick Reply: First turbo project - Am I dumb for wanting to do twin turbos?