Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SC with BOV w/ or w/ out boost controler

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC with BOV w/ or w/ out boost controler

Please only comment if you have used this method or are using this method.

Hey guys, there always a bunch of people that say that using a BOV and a boost controller is bad for the head unit because higher IAT temps and you also cause your parasitic drive losses to go up greatly.

Please let me know what you have experienced and what you have switched to if you changed and why.

thanks guys

Last edited by lbm13186; 11-19-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have not ran a boost controller but did use a wastegate for the street. I had a 10lb spring for pump gas on the street and made 21lbs at track. Worked just fine. I believe you can find an article somewhere on it. Seems like Job Specter did it years ago but maybe before boost controllers.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

yeah I have seen and read a bunch of stuff on here and other sites that proves that it works.

what I was wondering is what kind of blower did you use with this method, how long did you have it, do you still use this method (if not why did you switch and what too), did it cause any issues with the head unit???

know its a lot but ppl that have not done this have said that it will cause problems with the head unit.

I'm trying to think out side the box on this issue and up to any suggestions that people may have. but don't want to hear from ppl that have no experience and just giving their opinion on the matter. One of the guys over at AMS boost controller said that he has had "lots" of big boost cars doing this but I would like to hear first hand from ppl.

Last edited by lbm13186; 11-19-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:50 AM
TECH Regular

TTT just wondering who has used this method
Old 11-20-2015, 06:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I did it for a couple of years with my YSI...never had any problems.

Eventually went turbo though.

And there is no real evidence to suggest it negatively affects air temps any more than running without the air leak.

If your charge temps are too high, just deal with it via better cooling.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The temp will increase some because you are spinning the blower faster at any given boost besides max boost. The faster you spin a blower the more temp it makes. 25 psi with a wastegate set at 12 PSI will generate more heat than at a blower that was only set up to run 12 PSI max. That is the only thing you have to worry about from a heat standpoint. Its not like the blower is pushing against a restriction to make 12PSI. The rest is being vented.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAmotorsports
The temp will increase some because you are spinning the blower faster at any given boost besides max boost. The faster you spin a blower the more temp it makes. 25 psi with a wastegate set at 12 PSI will generate more heat than at a blower that was only set up to run 12 PSI max. That is the only thing you have to worry about from a heat standpoint. Its not like the blower is pushing against a restriction to make 12PSI. The rest is being vented.
The more the air is compressed the more it creates heat.

If it isnt generating pressure, then it isnt really generating any heat. So simply spinning and dumping all of the air, all it's doing really is moving air about and doing very little work.

Quick Reply: SC with BOV w/ or w/ out boost controler