LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   EGT monitoring (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1812122-egt-monitoring.html)

oscs 12-01-2015 03:33 PM

EGT monitoring
 
How many of you guys run an EGT guage on your cars? In my old world (diesel) you live and die by it. Im sure it is just as important on a Gas motor but how much really?

MMorgan9812 12-01-2015 03:39 PM

I go by the saying "you can never know to much about what your car is doing" especially with all the add-on aftermarket parts and engine builds we do

oscs 12-01-2015 03:44 PM


Originally Posted by MMorgan9812 (Post 19059860)
I go by the saying "you can never know to much about what your car is doing" especially with all the add-on aftermarket parts and engine builds we do

I generally live my life by this rule of thumb as well. I really cant get enough information about what is going on inside my motor. With that said i would like to hear from people that run them. Maybe someone can share a story about how they a saved their ass or helped diagnose a problem.

rotary1307cc 12-01-2015 03:51 PM

http://holleyefi.biz/REDLINE-8-CHANN...ED-EGT-KIT.htm

Integrated into the dominator. I'd like this

oscs 12-01-2015 03:54 PM

Hell i was talking about running one on each bank

rotary1307cc 12-01-2015 04:00 PM

Won't tell much

8 channel you can really do something

Shutdown if something happens to a cylinder where it rises above set limit.

See trends of cylinder distribution and correct with trims

Say like u last week... You loose a cylinder...... Have it set to shutdown if say above 200kpa any cylinder is below a set egt limit

Ect

oscs 12-01-2015 04:19 PM


Originally Posted by rotary1307cc (Post 19059897)
Won't tell much

8 channel you can really do something

Shutdown if something happens to a cylinder where it rises above set limit.

See trends of cylinder distribution and correct with trims

Say like u last week... You loose a cylinder...... Have it set to shutdown if say above 200kpa any cylinder is below a set egt limit

Ect


Yeah i dig the idea that's for sure just not looking to drop 1k on the idea. The actual gauges are cheap. I wonder if i could find away to have the holley monitor them all pretty cleanly.

rotary1307cc 12-01-2015 04:28 PM

Clean as in r software or clean to the eye under the hood?

oscs 12-01-2015 04:31 PM


Originally Posted by rotary1307cc (Post 19059932)
Clean as in r software or clean to the eye under the hood?

Software. Im assuming each sensor would take up a output?

rotary1307cc 12-01-2015 05:19 PM

Yes correct. But the dominator has plenty. That kit comes with the holley connector. It simply plugs in and you assign the pinmap and done.

I will try to find the vid of software layout on a data log. It is very cool

rotary1307cc 12-01-2015 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 641996

oscs 12-01-2015 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by rotary1307cc

This is yours? Damn that's badass.

dckmn52 12-01-2015 07:04 PM

EGT monitoring is a cheaper alternative to doing this:



Wideband monitor and self fuel correction for each cylinder with MS3Pro.

I feel like r1307 has been saved by his Holly a few times now, considering the amount of safety measures in place ;)

gtfoxy 12-01-2015 07:07 PM

Add post turbo EGT's to pre-turbo and you can determine how much enthalpy the Turbo/'s systems are using/losing.

rotary1307cc 12-01-2015 09:30 PM


Originally Posted by oscs (Post 19060093)
This is yours? Damn that's badass.

Ha I wish. I have an HP. If I had a dominator it would be on the Christmas list lol

Blown06 12-02-2015 12:41 AM

For turbo guys that put them in the collector pre turbo, I'd say EGT is really kind of a waist.

It can have benefits in N/A or blown shit if monitoring each hole.

rotary1307cc 12-02-2015 07:53 AM

And how could you say that?

oscs 12-02-2015 08:08 AM

Yeah I'm not following. At the bare minimum having one pre turbo on each bank can tell you differences between the two.

Meth Sled 12-02-2015 12:14 PM

I would run a sensor pre-turbo/wastegate on each bank, yeah it's not as good as a sensor on each cylinder but it's better than not knowing at all. And will help with any diagnostics or trouble shooting that may ever occur.

Shownomercy 12-02-2015 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by Blown06 (Post 19060427)
For turbo guys that put them in the collector pre turbo, I'd say EGT is really kind of a waist.

It can have benefits in N/A or blown shit if monitoring each hole.

Make sure you let the diesel crowd know they are doing it wrong . ;)

My truck has one pax manifold, 100* per 10mph and I get good mpg. :jest:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands