Pushing water out radiator under boost help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
You need a vent-air needs to displace the water
that res. looks like a trans catch can
I'm having one made now that will hold probably 3/4 gallon. The hose from the radiator goes in the bottom of the resevor and the vent will be at the top.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
It is a catch can. I don't know how I built the whole car and overlooked that! It was on the stock motor setup too and had basically the same problem with coolant. Go figure!
That's what I was getting at. That kind of set-up would work if the inlet runs to the bottom of the tank & the vent was at the top. It just needs to be of adequate volume for how full you want/need the coolant system to be.

I'm having one made now that will hold probably 3/4 gallon. The hose from the radiator goes in the bottom of the resevor and the vent will be at the top.

That should be adequate. Just fill it 1/3 full to begin with & see how much the level changes when hot. Then add accordingly.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
That's what I was getting at. That kind of set-up would work if the inlet runs to the bottom of the tank & the vent was at the top. It just needs to be of adequate volume for how full you want/need the coolant system to be.

That should be adequate. Just fill it 1/3 full to begin with & see how much the level changes when hot. Then add accordingly.
Yup were on the same page. I'll post a pic of it when I get it.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yup were on the same page. I'll post a pic of it when I get it.
#7 for those that wanted to see that

Name:  3AF30944-EEC1-49DB-8732-F7D4D87C6CBD_zpshaniej6w.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  244.6 KB
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Has 22 degrees at the very top. Going to back it down to 20 and see what happens.
I would go to 16
Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

That timing table is crazy.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Looks to be a scaled tune. Otherwise it would just use the 1.20 g/cyl (bottom) row.

Would be nice if you folks who know would suggest a timing scheme for the OP.

A chance for the rest of us to learn something.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:21 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Looks to be a scaled tune. Otherwise it would just use the 1.20 g/cyl (bottom) row.

Would be nice if you folks who know would suggest a timing scheme for the OP.

A chance for the rest of us to learn something.
Here's a chance to learn something:

Well, for starters, if it is a scaled tune we need to see a histogram to see what cells it is actually hitting.

Also, OP your doing this *** backwards. Starting at big timing numbers and knocking it down a couple at a time till it quits pushing water will never get you anywhere.

I'd probably knock about 8* out that thing everywhere and then work up.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blown06
Here's a chance to learn something:

Well, for starters, if it is a scaled tune we need to see a histogram to see what cells it is actually hitting.

Also, OP your doing this *** backwards. Starting at big timing numbers and knocking it down a couple at a time till it quits pushing water will never get you anywhere.

I'd probably knock about 8* out that thing everywhere and then work up.
I didn't tune the car and honestly don't know half anything about tuning. I know how to pull files and change very few things. Tick Petformance tuned the car. Jonothon has tuned many of my cars including this one. I don't think he would set the tune up like this if it was lifting heads and detonating. I'm not dead set on it lifting heads currently. No signs of it on any of my plugs ect.

That being said, I don't want to come across as defensive and ignorant. I DO know there is a obvious problem with the resivore that's currently on it. I'm already addressing that.

Can someone point me to how the plugs would indicate heads lifting of a harmful situation? Just trying to learn here is all. I tooked the motor apart when I bent the factory crank making 938. It had dang near the same tune and timing ect as current and I found no signs if detonation of the heads/pistons ect. I lowered compression .4 from that setup as well.

Like I said, not trying to start a argument. Just trying to learn.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Problem is you’ve more than likely already done the damage. Re-tuning the car at this point isn’t going to correct that problem. I’m all for getting a good coolant recovery setup, but I wouldn’t bother running the car without at least checking the HG’s. If you catch it early it will be much less work/$. I was in a very similar situation and instead of stopping and correcting the leaky head, I choose to run the car again. Torched the head and deck the 2nd run the next track outing. Ruined a great alum block and a nice head.

Unless Tick Performance went with you to the track and tuned the car by the plug readings… then I don’t see how the tune would be considered complete. Tuning for peak dyno numbers, and trying to run that tune with real world loads at the strip usually ends badly. (though I’m not claiming that’s what happened). Usually a shop will get the customer a nice dyno number and then detune the car for a safe “Street tune” before giving it back. I always go overly conservative when tuning someone else’s car. Then tell them to finish the tune by bumping timing slowly, watching plugs and MPH at their own risk.

What heat range plug again? You can tell by the pic’s that your plugs have too much run time on them to get an accurate fuel reading. You need to install a new set, make a pass, and pull them immediately after to get a solid read on plugs. Going by the threads/strap you are on the edge heat/timing wise, as others have said. Personally on my turbo setups I like to see about 1 thread of heat in the body and the heat mark about 1/2 way down the strap, still well away from the bend. I’d drop 8-10* out of the tune across the board above 5psi or so. Get a good plug read after a pass and go from there.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Problem is you’ve more than likely already done the damage. Re-tuning the car at this point isn’t going to correct that problem. I’m all for getting a good coolant recovery setup, but I wouldn’t bother running the car without at least checking the HG’s. If you catch it early it will be much less work/$. I was in a very similar situation and instead of stopping and correcting the leaky head, I choose to run the car again. Torched the head and deck the 2nd run the next track outing. Ruined a great alum block and a nice head.

Unless Tick Performance went with you to the track and tuned the car by the plug readings… then I don’t see how the tune would be considered complete. Tuning for peak dyno numbers, and trying to run that tune with real world loads at the strip usually ends badly. (though I’m not claiming that’s what happened). Usually a shop will get the customer a nice dyno number and then detune the car for a safe “Street tune” before giving it back. I always go overly conservative when tuning someone else’s car. Then tell them to finish the tune by bumping timing slowly, watching plugs and MPH at their own risk.

What heat range plug again? You can tell by the pic’s that your plugs have too much run time on them to get an accurate fuel reading. You need to install a new set, make a pass, and pull them immediately after to get a solid read on plugs. Going by the threads/strap you are on the edge heat/timing wise, as others have said. Personally on my turbo setups I like to see about 1 thread of heat in the body and the heat mark about 1/2 way down the strap, still well away from the bend. I’d drop 8-10* out of the tune across the board above 5psi or so. Get a good plug read after a pass and go from there.
They are 9 heat range plugs. I really don't take the car to the track much in all honesty. More for just street pulls ect. I'll take it once it decides to warm up a little in a few months.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I concur with what is being said.

I don't know what Tick is doing in regards to other aspects of the tune. Lack of information at this point.

I already mentioned the temp variance & that needs to be checked out in the overal spark adder. While his main timing table may show 21* the spark adder vs IAT could be even more. We need to see the actual log, not a timing table. If running a MAP retard, it may not have quite the effect if IAT is adding a portion or more back in.

Number 7 May be brown not just from heat but corrosion. I have noticed that in the past on leaking HG's. The vapor burned in the chamber impregnates the ground strap. It oxidizes the metal & appears rusts very quickly. I've noticed good speclings of rust on plugs left on the perimeter of the plug but it is never as severe as the ground strap, however. I think the direct current in the ground strap has a lot to do with it.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-08-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

I concur with what is being said.

I don't know what Tick is doing in regards to other aspects of the tune. Lack of information at this point.

I already mentioned the temp variance & that needs to be checked out in the overal spark adder. While his main timing table may show 21* the spark adder vs IAT could be even more. We need to see the actual log, not a timing table. If running a MAP retard may not have quite the effect of IAT is adding a portion of more back in.
Your speaking japaneese to me unfortunately. I can email you the tune file if you like. Sorry to provide little info as I really don't know much about tuning.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What logger are you using?

NM it's HPT. Yeah I can look at it.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

What logger are you using?

NM it's HPT. Yeah I can look at it.
That is correct. Shot me your email and I will send it to you tonight.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

They are 9 heat range plugs. I really don't take the car to the track much in all honesty. More for just street pulls ect. I'll take it once it decides to warm up a little in a few months.
Considering most of the turbo guys run a 7 heat range plug, to have that much heat show on a 9 seems excessive to me as well. If you're 100% sure the tune is spot on with no detonation, I'd run a cooler plug at minimum.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Considering most of the turbo guys run a 7 heat range plug, to have that much heat show on a 9 seems excessive to me as well. If you're 100% sure the tune is spot on with no detonation, I'd run a cooler plug at minimum.
Just out of curiosity but the last two times I took the car out I was street racing with snout 6-8 2nd-4th gear pulls dang near back to back. Would this have caused the excessive heat in the plug you all are seeing?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Just as a quick check. Attach the radiator pressure tester to the radiator. Pressurize to 15-16 PSI. Start the engine and bring it up to 2000 RPM. If the pressure is jumping up and down on the gauge, you have a head gasket leak.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PaPa'sToy
Just as a quick check. Attach the radiator pressure tester to the radiator. Pressurize to 15-16 PSI. Start the engine and bring it up to 2000 RPM. If the pressure is jumping up and down on the gauge, you have a head gasket leak.
I can do that tonight

Quick Reply: Pushing water out radiator under boost help