Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pushing water out radiator under boost help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
11.5:1?

Are you reading A/F values for E85 on a gasoline scale?
That's on the gas scale, sorry for the confusion.

I'm installing the larger overflow box this weekend and am also going to re-torque the heads to 85ftlbs for good measure. I never did the second pass after the heat cycles.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured but wanted to make sure.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

What about doing a compression test and see if a cylinder leaks down?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
Around 11.5. I have all ptfe lines and all fuel components have less that 6 months on them. Seems like everyone that has a problem with the black goo or rust let's their car sit a lot. I drive mine or atleast start it and run it to temp once a week minimum.
That is not how the black goo comes about. I did the same thing, PTFE everything, cleaned out the tank, and new pumps but the goo was always there. It has to do with gas additives that come out of solution (I think Chevron is the worst). Idling and short trips seem to make it accumulate faster but it will still do it with highway driving it just takes longer (my car is a daily). Definitely worth checking injectors if you are going to have to take the heads off anyways. You don't need any special inspection tools methods to see it either; it will be obvious if you have a problem. Since your AFR was good it would be more of a just in case check.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeMama's GTO
That is not how the black goo comes about. I did the same thing, PTFE everything, cleaned out the tank, and new pumps but the goo was always there. It has to do with gas additives that come out of solution (I think Chevron is the worst). Idling and short trips seem to make it accumulate faster but it will still do it with highway driving it just takes longer (my car is a daily). Definitely worth checking injectors if you are going to have to take the heads off anyways. You don't need any special inspection tools methods to see it either; it will be obvious if you have a problem. Since your AFR was good it would be more of a just in case check.
Makes sense
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about doing a compression test and see if a cylinder leaks down?
A leak down may not be enough pressure. It is comparatively low compared to actual cylinder pressure, but it's the first thing I would have done along with a coolant system pressure check. Both at the same time.

Did you say you don't have your back ports tied into the cooling system?
Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

A leak down may not be enough pressure. It is comparatively low compared to actual cylinder pressure, but it's the first thing I would have done along with a coolant system pressure check. Both at the same time.

So do a compression check while having the coolant system checker on there to see if that pressure rises at the same time?

I DO have the rear steam ports tied in.

This whole instance baffles me as the car runs completely fine under all circumstances from cruising around to WOT and doesn't get hot, even on the night when I made the WOT pulls multiple times back to back.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

If that's not enough pressure then what about pumping each cylinder with air like you do when you change valve springs and see if any of them cause coolant to bubble up? Obviously both valves will need to be closed.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a leak down. You need two gauges, an air regulator & enough air capacity to maintain pressure. You set your first gauge to 100psi then hook it to the cylinder. What the second gauge reads after the reg. is reading in a 100% scale of the inlet pressure, providing it (inlet pressure) remains stable. If it reads 90psi you have 10% leak down.

Do every cylinder to see trends.

Having the leak on the other hose would cause the issue, now you are just double checking stuff.

Add: Did you set the pressure on the gauge prior to starting it? That's really not the way to do it. You want to just put the coolant gauge on & let it warm up. Let it get warmed up & see what the pressure is. Then go from there.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-09-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

That's a leak down. You need two gauges, an air regulator & enough air capacity to maintain pressure. You set your first gauge to 100psi then hook it to the cylinder. What the second gauge reads after the reg. is reading in a 100% scale of the inlet pressure, providing it (inlet pressure) remains stable. If it reads 90psi you have 10% leak down.

Do every cylinder to see trends.

Having the leak on the other hose would cause the issue, now you are just double checking stuff.
I was just talking about using a air chuck like you use to hold the valves up with when removing a valve spring when the heads are on a car. If there was a head gasket leak, it would bubble into the coolant system/radiator. Correct?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just talking about using a air chuck like you use to hold the valves up with when removing a valve spring when the heads are on a car. If there was a head gasket leak, it would bubble into the coolant system/radiator. Correct?
Question is whether it would blow past the rings before making its way past the gasket. With the amount of coolant your saying you are seeing it sounds like the leak (if there is one) is pretty big. Pressurising the cylinder would probably be a good starting point.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do that. Only thing is you don't see the pressure drop.

Originally Posted by oscs
Question is whether it would blow past the rings before making its way past the gasket. With the amount of coolant your saying you are seeing it sounds like the leak (if there is one) is pretty big. Pressurising the cylinder would probably be a good starting point.
If it's bad enough it will make it past the fire ring. Otherwise it may take engine temp & pressure to make it go.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Im going to put it on the dyno Saturday so I can watch whats going on.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:27 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Put a gopro under the hood and go make a test hit
lol don't put it past me! But whats that going to show?
This

Old 12-10-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blown06
Good lord
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"I love the smell of Hot coolant in the morning."
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

"I love the smell of Hot coolant in the morning."
Its begining to make my skin crawl honestly hahaha
Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
This is literally the exact reason why i said to put a go pro under the hood.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Blown's video should be called "Plight of the 4 bolt head LS Owner"

I wonder how many enthusiasts have had their build budget blown to hell over watching that video. lol
Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by asubennett
Blown's video should be called "Plight of the 4 bolt head LS Owner"

I wonder how many enthusiasts have had their build budget blown to hell over watching that video. lol
Made a hell of an impression on me that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Pushing water out radiator under boost help