Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Buying used d1, what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used d1, what should I look out for?

Looking at a used d1 tonight for my truck, supposedly 10k miles. Anything I should look for, inspect, to make sure I'm not getting a junk unit?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have ever rebuilt any rear ends or gear boxes and are kind of familiar with what backlash feels like, I would check the backlash of the unit. There should be a little slack between the gears where the teeth mesh. Next Id rotate the head pulley all the way around while holding slight pressure on the compressor wheel retaining bolt to simulate a slight load while feeling for bad or worn spots on the gears. Then maybe check side load play from the input shaft and vice versa with the compressor wheel. Make sure it dosent wobble side to side or in and out very much. This would indicate worn bearings and warrant a rebuild before Id use it. Also check the inlet side where the compressor wheel is closest to the housing and look for contact marks. If its a damaged unit and the seller is smart they will change or drain the oil before selling so thats probably not gonna be a good point to check but you never know. Any leaks might also be cleaned up in order to make a sale but that maybe only a bad seal and not necessarily an internal problem. No big deal usually. Damaged internals will usually show when turning by hand if you know what to look for. Another point to look for is damaged mounting threads or stripped bolt holes. Usually this happens when someone rushes the install or had bolt hole to bracket alignment issues and forced the bolts anyways. What does he want for it?

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 01-25-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've done a few rear ends, but I will check all those then. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

If its not spec. to you veh., make sure the brackets clock the drain at 6 o clock for the oil slinger to work
If you have the serial #, you can call Procharger and see when it was sold, and if any work was done on it
Look at the impeller for any signs of the fins touching
D1's are noisy anyway, so its kind of hard to figure if the gear backlash is to much or not-as said, ck for bearing tightness
In the end, buyer beware

Quick Reply: Buying used d1, what should I look out for?