Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Threw Out The LT1 Went LS (TURBO BUILD)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threw Out The LT1 Went LS (TURBO BUILD)

My first post on here was me having the idea of taking my beefy LT1 and throwing 8 PSI at it with my 76mm. well after a hard and I mean very hard decision I traded for a stock 99 Z28 with 10k miles less than the LT1....Now the guy I traded with had a 5.3 motor with a 78mm on 9PSI and made a little over 600HP to the wheels COMPLETELY STOCK. now where he went wrong was when he went over the 1000HP limit and melted a piston. My question is..With this LS1 what are its limits being a stock 5.7 ( No im not going to throw my turbo on and hit the streets ) I am hoping to get this job over in Texas ( I live in TN ) and ill be making a heck of a lot more money, but Im into doing all the builds by myself, would a fully forged LS be the way to go or should I bore it out and throw a stroker kit in it, or maybe even buy an LsX motor??? I do not know Ideas guys Ideas!!!!! By the way can I run a turbo spec cam in this thing without the turbo??????? EDIT*****

I got a little lost in thought..But I am wanting to make a DD turbo build with around 450-550 RWHP...manual boost control throw the ideas at me!

Last edited by I_LikeFast; 03-19-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I_LikeFast
My first post on here was me having the idea of taking my beefy LT1 and throwing 8 PSI at it with my 76mm. well after a hard and I mean very hard decision I traded for a stock 99 Z28 with 10k miles less than the LT1....Now the guy I traded with had a 5.3 motor with a 78mm on 9PSI and made a little over 600HP to the wheels COMPLETELY STOCK. now where he went wrong was when he went over the 1000HP limit and melted a piston. My question is..With this LS1 what are its limits being a stock 5.7 ( No im not going to throw my turbo on and hit the streets ) I am hoping to get this job over in Texas ( I live in TN ) and ill be making a heck of a lot more money, but Im into doing all the builds by myself, would a fully forged LS be the way to go or should I bore it out and throw a stroker kit in it, or maybe even buy an LsX motor??? I do not know Ideas guys Ideas!!!!! By the way can I run a turbo spec cam in this thing without the turbo???????

WHAT IF....I threw a methanol kit and ran 7 PSI?????
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WHAT IF....I threw a methanol kit and ran 7 PSI?????
That'd be optimal
Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IronBlocked
That'd be optimal
how much do you think it would cool down the combustion?? enough to make 500RWHp and NOT blow a hole in the block or melt a piston lol
Old 03-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Before any of the more knowledgeable members here can help you, you need to help them figure out what exactly you're trying to accomplish with your vehicle. Things like intended use, hp goals, and budget need to be considered.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much do you think it would cool down the combustion?? enough to make 500RWHp and NOT blow a hole in the block or melt a piston lol
Yes, with a great margin of error, asuming the tune is good.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If you want 500 or less stay n/a and do heads cam and intake. No reason to deal with all the potential drama of a boosted setup for that power goal. Anything more than that and I would first say drive a car with that power and go from there but boost would be the better option.

7psi doesn't tell you anything other than the level of restriction in the intake. You can make well over 600whp tho with good pump gas and no meth provided you have a good tune. There are lots and lots of threads in this section talking about different builds that would be a good place to start learning.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
If you want 500 or less stay n/a and do heads cam and intake. No reason to deal with all the potential drama of a boosted setup for that power goal. Anything more than that and I would first say drive a car with that power and go from there but boost would be the better option.

7psi doesn't tell you anything other than the level of restriction in the intake. You can make well over 600whp tho with good pump gas and no meth provided you have a good tune. There are lots and lots of threads in this section talking about different builds that would be a good place to start learning.
well my point of the methanol injection Idea is to cool down the combustion as a safety feature to lower chances of detonation ( not trying to cheap out just very impatient and very broke haha ) I will most likely not do anything till I can afford to do it the right way
Old 03-20-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

search man. theirs plenty of info on here about a setup like that
https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...unkyardturbols
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

well my point of the methanol injection Idea is to cool down the combustion as a safety feature to lower chances of detonation ( not trying to cheap out just very impatient and very broke haha ) I will most likely not do anything till I can afford to do it the right way
Yeah I know whatcha mean but really 5-7lbs isn't enough to need meth unless you want to run some really low quality fuel. I wouldn't add the complexity for your goals.

Quick Reply: Threw Out The LT1 Went LS (TURBO BUILD)