Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alocker
Needing more HP to drive a centri free flow does not make sense to me. Can you explain?
A simple real world test to show this concept......

Take a leaf blower or even a hair drier. Turn them on at full speed and listen to the motor. Now hold your hand over the outlet and listen to the motor. The rpm goes way up with the air flow blocked, because there is no drag. There is no drag because it is not moving any air. Same concept with a blower.

It is very confusing to people when you first tell them this, as most want to say "free flowing into air provides less resistance, but the fact is this: Any fan that has the air flow blocked is not moving any air, so there is no resistance, hence the rpm going up (in the case of a leaf blower) or the needed drive power going to zero (in the case of a centri blower).

This was actually tested by Steve Morris. He made a set up that was able to measure the drive power needed to spin certain prochargers at different boost levels by using restrictors at the outlet. An F2 procharger for example takes around 250-300 horsepower to turn at max recommended speed. When he ran the test with the blower totally blocked at the outlet, drive power skyrocketed.

I miss typed here guys and totally contradicted myself. When the test was run with the blower totally blocked at the outlet, drive power went to zero. When free flowed the drive power skyrocketed.

Last edited by Blown06; 07-20-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06

Take a leaf blower or even a hair drier. Turn them on at full speed and listen to the motor. Now hold your hand over the outlet and listen to the motor. The rpm goes way up with the air flow blocked, because there is no drag. There is no drag because it is not moving any air. Same concept with a blower.

It is very confusing to people when you first tell them this, as most want to say "free flowing into air provides less resistance, but the fact is this: Any fan that has the air flow blocked is not moving any air, so there is no resistance, hence the rpm going up (in the case of a leaf blower) or the needed drive power going to zero (in the case of a centri blower).

This was actually tested by Steve Morris. He made a set up that was able to measure the drive power needed to spin certain prochargers at different boost levels by using restrictors at the outlet. An F2 procharger for example takes around 250-300 horsepower to turn at max recommended speed. When he ran the test with the blower totally blocked at the outlet, drive power skyrocketed.
Interesting. I would assume the reason is the compressor becomes inefficient when blocked (kinda like cavitating) and no longer working. I'm not sure how much power it would soak up bleeding off a few extra PSI though.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if there is a 'optimum' range of pressure to where the blower is most efficient... actually I know there is a range, but no one has access to that information outside of Procharger themselves.

For example, which takes more energy to spin at the same rpm, a d1/f1 etc on a 346 or a 427 motor? Obviously on the smaller motor, the boost pressure is going to be far higher as the motor can't process as much air compared to the larger cubic inch motor. For argument sake, lets just say the smaller motor sees 20psi at max rpm, and the bigger motor sees 12psi.... Which scenario is more efficient?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes you can, but it is not smart. Puts a ton of load on the blower when the gate is open, usually resulting in premature failure. It's probably fine if you are gonna pulley for 15 psi and gate it down to 10-12, but anymore than that just puts a tremendous load on the blower, not to mention creating an unbelievable amount drag on the motor. Anytime they free flow into open air, the "horsepower needed to drive the blower" sky rockets. This can also lead to belt issues. Once you slip a belt, it tends to only get worse and worse. Because of the increased power needed to turn the blower into free air, you are more likely to have belt slip issues that just get worse with time.

The two best options for regulating power/boost on a procharged deal are either having 2 or more pulley/belt setups you can swap or limiting rpm when not racing. Most people get their panties all bunched up when you tell them to have more than one belt/pulley combo "cause it is a pain in the *** to swap". My reply to that argument is "how often do you want/need high boost? If you go to the track a few times a year, it's not that big of a deal to just swap pulleys/belts.
Interesting. We are running a gated D1SC setup on our TBSS with a stock crank pulley and a 3.85" on the headunit. It is currently regulated to about 7psi, but I would imagine it closer to 10psi if the gate was shut/absent - so I believe the additional load is minor in our case. I am working on getting it to run on straight E85 and upping the boost accordingly; the points raised are definitely influential.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:15 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I wonder if there is a 'optimum' range of pressure to where the blower is most efficient... actually I know there is a range, but no one has access to that information outside of Procharger themselves
Just look at the compressor map of a Turbocharger and that will answer your question.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't mind doing a procharger setup but for some reason the price is astronomical compared to other cars with the same blower setup. For example you can be all in on a d1sc kit with good brackets (because the original procharger ones don't suck) for a 5.0 f150 for almost 1500-2000 less than an Fbody. And you don't have to pay extra for a front mount.

The price is what gets a lot of people when deciding to go turbo. But there are drawbacks as well. I'd prefer a procharger but don't want to spend a ton of money to get one.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo's are better..
Old 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

With pricing, it's pay me now, or pay me later.... unless you are a fabricator.

Sure a cheap turbo is far cheaper than a Procharger, but then you have to fabricate the hotside, move the radiator, get a k-member so you can route the exhaust, or dump it out the front fender... it all starts to add up cost wise.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Well even my Huron kit with a billet turbonetics was cheaper than any new procharger kit I've seen. No moving of radiator or new k member but I do lose ac which is the biggest caviat. Not sure keeping it is worth another $1500-2000 though.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I miss typed here guys and totally contradicted myself. When the test was run with the blower totally blocked at the outlet, drive power went to zero. When free flowed the drive power skyrocketed.
See the correction I made. I miss typed originally but is now fixed.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I have to search for that Blown06. I'm curious to learn more about Prochargers, and I know Steve Morris does a lot of work with them.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

With pricing, it's pay me now, or pay me later.... unless you are a fabricator.

Sure a cheap turbo is far cheaper than a Procharger, but then you have to fabricate the hotside, move the radiator, get a k-member so you can route the exhaust, or dump it out the front fender... it all starts to add up cost wise.
This is absolutely POSITIVELY false. Had to make a special trip to the garage for this. Notice the radiator in stock location, along with the A/C lines. Probably a little tough to make out, but one of the pics is the downpipe. It leads out the back, into a MagnaFlow muffler with dual tips. None of that wild looking out the fender stuff. Car looks (otherthan wheels) completely stock. Also idles like stock. And as far as the turbo vs supercharger argument, seems like supercharged cars are always down on torque... in comparison to turbo cars. Won't even get into the belt issues, or the crazy tension on the front of the crank/bearing.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-20160720_075727.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-20160720_075744.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-20160720_075841.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-20160720_080452.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-20160720_075944.jpg  

Last edited by Game ova; 07-20-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 07-20-2016, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Let me pull up to the table for my plate of crow, missed the part alchemist said about the k member. I jumped the gun.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Game ova
Let me pull up to the table for my plate of crow, missed the part alchemist said about the k member. I jumped the gun.
So is that a kit or did you do the fab work yourself?

No crow necessary, this is a friendly discussion.

I'm also not down on torque either. With everything in the factory location, out a stainless works catback, I made 860hp/760 (spinning through the torque peak) with 700ft/lbs at 4000 rpm. Sure, we can pull up a lot of turbo dynos where they make more, but for me, being a street car, it's just about enough.

We've also covered the whole belt slip and crazy crank pressure topic. The aster bracket as well as other spring loaded tensioner setups have almost completely eliminated belt slip, and since it's a factory tensioner, the amount of extra tension on the crank snout isn't what I would call crazy either.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

So is that a kit or did you do the fab work yourself?

No crow necessary, this is a friendly discussion.

I'm also not down on torque either. With everything in the factory location, out a stainless works catback, I made 860hp/760 (spinning through the torque peak) with 700ft/lbs at 4000 rpm. Sure, we can pull up a lot of turbo dynos where they make more, but for me, being a street car, it's just about enough.

We've also covered the whole belt slip and crazy crank pressure topic. The aster bracket as well as other spring loaded tensioner setups have almost completely eliminated belt slip, and since it's a factory tensioner, the amount of extra tension on the crank snout isn't what I would call crazy either.
I cannot claim the fabwork, (not a kit) as it was already done when I found the car. But all it is, is a c6 manifold...as well as a truck manifold flipped. I seen someone mention that turbos are a pain in the rear, granted I haven't racked up too many miles yet....but mine has been trouble free. The thing literally drives just like stock with no hint of modification..............until positive intake manifold pressure. I would say that turbo cars are very low maintenance, with bigger power return.

Last edited by Game ova; 07-20-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Didn't exactly answer the question
Old 07-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Old School Heavy

I have to search for that Blown06. I'm curious to learn more about Prochargers, and I know Steve Morris does a lot of work with them.
I would love to have a BS session with Steve Morris. That is one sharp guy.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

For me, I'm a street car, enjoy a/c, power steering, sway bars, but also like power.

So I was able to install a blower, retain everything just like factory, and make nearly 900 at the wheel, oh and have a civilized exhaust setup that still comes out the back of the car.

That was a tall task for a turbo. Trust me, I talked to a lot of people about it. I was told I'd have to move the radiator, or lose the a/c, or lose the sway bar, forget about having the exhaust exit out the rear, I'd need to have at least a cutout.

Also, lets not forget how critical all the pieces of a turbo puzzle need to be to play nicely together. A/r, cam specs, exhaust diameter and routing all play a role in having a setup work properly.

Just like it was said above, turbo setups require a lot of planning, fabrication, and even trial and error. So I'm not a fabricator, I can live with that. Maybe some day later in life I'll buy a welder, and spend some time learning to weld and I can fab my own setup.

Till then, I'll enjoy my no compromise 900rwhp setup street car.
You were definitely talking to the wrong people. Everything that they said that you couldn't do.....is easily done. Supercharger whine, day in and day out would make me want to commit suicide in about 2 days. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to hear for about 5 minutes....after that it's old. I've ridden in a good running supercharged car, and while it was indeed fast....it just didn't have the almost sickening (seemingly endless) pull that a good running turbo car has.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I have never owned a blown car but I have ridden in one and I own a turbo one now, makes 900 at the wheels. I can tell you the kick in the *** from a turbo when hitting full boost is something I have never experienced before and still have a hard time getting used to, it literally feels like you get rear ended by a train going 80 mph.
×100......and everytime......is just like the first time.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i built this in about 2 weeks while i was recovering from cancer treatment

cold ac, cruise, power steering and brakes, full interior
its not 900whp yet, i need to put my 4l80e and np149 in before i can turn up the wick, but a reliable turbo setup isnt that hard to accomplish.

a big procharger motor sounds way cooler though.
I laughed so hard when I seen this. Obviously not because he had cancer, but from all the people saying it's soooo hard to build a turbo car. Here he is, probably severely weakened....but still has the heart and dedication to make real power with turbos.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I can tell you the kick in the *** from a turbo when hitting full boost is something I have never experienced before and still have a hard time getting used to, it literally feels like you get rear ended by a train going 80 mph.
I was rear ended by a SUV going just 35 MPH. Honestly, I did not care for it.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.