Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone switched to a divided turbine and seen gains over an open housing-(Same turbo)

Old 05-05-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Anyone switched to a divided turbine and seen gains over an open housing-(Same turbo)

As the title states, has anyone moved from an open turbine to a divided turbine with divided manifold set up and seen a gain with the same turbo on a LS or other V platform? Gains in anything-spool, or power.

The divided set up is not "optimal" if you just run bank A into side A of the turbo and visa versa, but it still stands to reason hat there would be a benefit to be had there VS. an open.

I have a guy that wants to put the money into making a switch, and I dont want him to have a false expectation. My research has not shown anything back to back in the LS world. Any help or opinion is appreciated.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

A 1.0AR T4 divided housing will have more restriction than a 1.0AR T4 open housing.

If you aren't using a divided manifold setup it serves no purpose and will be more of a restriction. Without dividing the exhaust pulses, there are zero benefits I'm aware of over an open scroll.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
A 1.0AR T4 divided housing will have more restriction than a 1.0AR T4 open housing.

If you aren't using a divided manifold setup it serves no purpose and will be more of a restriction. Without dividing the exhaust pulses, there are zero benefits I'm aware of over an open scroll.
I agree 100% with that-but what I am wondering if anyine has taken a, say .96 OPEN and inslatted a 1.15 divided turbine, WITH a divided hot pipe set up and seen a gain/loss witht he same turbo.

It looks like no one has dont it-or anything similar? Just dont want to waste my time, and his money if there will be no gain. He is convinced it will spool much quicker. Im not so convinced.

I have seen gains in the 4 banger world-I am just not sure it will translate since the set is "not optimal" for it

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-s...-great-divide/

http://www.rx7club.com/single-turbo-...turbos-903210/

Looks great on paper-but this is what I am thinking

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...duction_4.html
Old 05-05-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've researched something similar to this, what I've learned from the people who made the change an "open" merge to a "divided " merge, (with the exact same turbo, the turbo of discussion happened to bw s475 divided housing ) and the findings were "spool up" occurred 2/300 rpms sooner.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

The problem is, with a 4cyl it's easy to divide the runners to create a proper twin scroll setup where exhaust valve events are better isolated improving efficiency.

To do that on a LS V8...would be almost impossible

So any benefits you may see would largely be down to tube sizing, gas velocity etc rather than actual separation of pulses as it would be on a 4cyl.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have my s475 83mm 1.1 t4 fully divided, and it doesn't get into positive pressure until 3500. Knowing that was going to be the result, I should of just merged the two and run one gate - it would of been a lot cheaper.

My setup seems to go positive apprx 500-1000 rpm later than some setups. My take is that turbo and hot pipe selection is far more important than how the pipes are run to it.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slocaddy
I've researched something similar to this, what I've learned from the people who made the change an "open" merge to a "divided " merge, (with the exact same turbo, the turbo of discussion happened to bw s475 divided housing ) and the findings were "spool up" occurred 2/300 rpms sooner.
Hope that helps.

Nice. Any links? Also was this a divided vs. open hot pipe set up-of just a difference in turbine housings with an open hot pipe set up?

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The problem is, with a 4cyl it's easy to divide the runners to create a proper twin scroll setup where exhaust valve events are better isolated improving efficiency.
To do that on a LS V8...would be almost impossible
So any benefits you may see would largely be down to tube sizing, gas velocity etc rather than actual separation of pulses as it would be on a 4cyl.
I agree-hense why I am questioning the move.

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
I have my s475 83mm 1.1 t4 fully divided, and it doesn't get into positive pressure until 3500. Knowing that was going to be the result, I should of just merged the two and run one gate - it would of been a lot cheaper.

My setup seems to go positive apprx 500-1000 rpm later than some setups. My take is that turbo and hot pipe selection is far more important than how the pipes are run to it.

Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone switched to a divided turbine and seen gains over an open housing-(Same turbo)