Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone running FITech 1200 with 16+ psi?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 AM
bdr
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running FITech 1200 with 16+ psi?

I'm at a point to where I can either finish with what I have EFI wise or test out the FITech 1200. I like the idea of not having to rely on someone for tuning. Just wondering if anyone took the plunge and is actually using this on alot of boost (not interested in n/a or n2o users results).

thx
Old 05-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If you don't want to tune, why not run something like Microsquirt?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 AM
bdr
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
If you don't want to tune, why not run something like Microsquirt?
I dont know enough of what I need for that. But I'm interested in FITech..want to see how far someone has pushed it.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's an expensive test.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 PM
bdr
Teching In

Originally Posted by svslow
That's an expensive test.
eh. I guess.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Restricted User

Microsquirt is like $400 and replaces the stock ECU/Harness.

I have a very poor opinion of people who go with units like the FITech.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

my buddy is one of the top turbo Fuel tech tuners in the world. Has multiple 3 sec Radial vs the World cars and promods on fuel tech... might cost ya but he is worth it
Old 05-24-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

I thought the Microsquirt was a lot more expensive, like the Holley HP
Old 05-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Microsquirt is like $400 and replaces the stock ECU/Harness.

I have a very poor opinion of people who go with units like the FITech.
Isn´t the idea with microsquirt that you tune it yourself with the free tuner software..?

What is the opinion and why... not trying to start a pissing contest, i´m generally interested, i have looked into the fitech myself.

Last edited by ussteel; 05-25-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM
bdr
Teching In

Originally Posted by ussteel
Isn´t the idea with microsquirt that you tune it yourself with the free tuner software..?

What is the opinion and why... not trying to start a pissing contest, i´m generally interested, i have looked into the fitech myself.
Because there are people who think they know it all and are right all the time. I dont know him, dont care for his opinion either.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I thought the Microsquirt was a lot more expensive, like the Holley HP
Originally Posted by ussteel

The Holley HP Plug and play for LS engines is $1800 + extras.
The Holley Dominator ECU is $2000 not including harness.

Microsquirt plug-and-play with harness is less than $800, its $650 if you get it through Shannon Taylor and they come pre-loaded with the Sloppy Mechanics turbo tune, or you can get the ECU with a basic 8' harness for less than $400 that you simply splice into your factory harness connectors. Microsquirt can self-tune as well.
Microsquirt is LOADED with features, has basically an open-source operating system, has 2-step and anti-lag features for launch control, On/Off outputs, can be used with a Tablet and ShadowDash, etc. You can use your factory fuel lines, regulator, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rails, and on and on.

Then you have the FITech system.
This is $1500, requires a new intake manifold, fuel lines, throttle cable, etc.
It doesn't use knock sensors. It tunes based on an 02 sensor, coolant temp, and intake air temp sensor. Its doesn't have any launch control features, it doesn't have any additional configurable outputs, you cannot retain a 99% factory appearance. The FITech is basically the "lazy man's way out". You pay extra for a system that gives you the bare minimum for 3 times the price so you don't have to do anything. I imagine the people who buy something like this as the type that won't even be installing it themselves, they'll pay someone else to do that too.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM
bdr
Teching In

The Holley HP Plug and play for LS engines is $1800 + extras.
The Holley Dominator ECU is $2000 not including harness.

Microsquirt plug-and-play with harness is less than $800, its $650 if you get it through Shannon Taylor and they come pre-loaded with the Sloppy Mechanics turbo tune, or you can get the ECU with a basic 8' harness for less than $400 that you simply splice into your factory harness connectors. Microsquirt can self-tune as well.
Microsquirt is LOADED with features, has basically an open-source operating system, has 2-step and anti-lag features for launch control, On/Off outputs, can be used with a Tablet and ShadowDash, etc. You can use your factory fuel lines, regulator, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rails, and on and on.

Then you have the FITech system.
This is $1500, requires a new intake manifold, fuel lines, throttle cable, etc.
It doesn't use knock sensors. It tunes based on an 02 sensor, coolant temp, and intake air temp sensor. Its doesn't have any launch control features, it doesn't have any additional configurable outputs, you cannot retain a 99% factory appearance. The FITech is basically the "lazy man's way out". You pay extra for a system that gives you the bare minimum for 3 times the price so you don't have to do anything. I imagine the people who buy something like this as the type that won't even be installing it themselves, they'll pay someone else to do that too.
FITech brings EFI to people who dont want the hassle of direct port efi, of having to pay someone to tune their setup. FITech is also tunable by the end user. Seems like you're grouping everyone in one square just because of your narrow minded views.

Yes, microsquirt will do, yes its cheaper, but this isnt about being narrow minded and limiting everyone to 1 product. Whatever new technology brings, why hate on it? See yourself out, you bore me.

@ the rest:

Anyway.. looking forward to people who have used FITech on a 15-16+ psi setup. I know on theturboforums theres a few...looking to see if anyone has pushed it to the limits.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are way too many Microsquirt haters out there. There is nothing that will beat it for the money. The whole Megasquirt lineup is great, and affordable. Most people are scared because they don't know the first thing about tuning or their "tuner" only knows Holley. The $300 Microsquirt does everything you need to run an engine plus some. If you need more options, get an MS3x or Gold Box for less than half the price of Holley or FITech.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:00 AM
bdr
Teching In

There are way too many Microsquirt haters out there. There is nothing that will beat it for the money. The whole Megasquirt lineup is great, and affordable. Most people are scared because they don't know the first thing about tuning or their "tuner" only knows Holley. The $300 Microsquirt does everything you need to run an engine plus some. If you need more options, get an MS3x or Gold Box for less than half the price of Holley or FITech.
microsquirt is on my list. I'm leaning towards it...but am also interested to see how far along FITech 1200 has come. Holley is coming out with the EFI Sniper, like the FITech.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bdr
FITech brings EFI to people who dont want the hassle of direct port efi, of having to pay someone to tune their setup. FITech is also tunable by the end user. Seems like you're grouping everyone in one square just because of your narrow minded views.

Yes, microsquirt will do, yes its cheaper, but this isnt about being narrow minded and limiting everyone to 1 product. Whatever new technology brings, why hate on it? See yourself out, you bore me.
Hassle of direct port EFI? If this were a Gen 1 small block, I could see the appeal. Since this is an engine that came factory with a very capable direct port EFI already installed, the hassle is zero. You're literally removing a direct port EFI setup to install a TBI setup. The only hassle there is removing it. Tuning will not be any different between the two, with the TBI being FAR less capable.

This isn't new technology either. Hell, its actually YEARS behind in technology. Its nothing more than an extremely expensive 'simplified EFI'.

It isn't about being narrow-minded. If anything, not wanting to deal with the EFI and taking the easy way out is the narrow-minded approach. You sound very much like the carbureted guys that refuse to make the jump. The irony in here......
Old 05-25-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Things happen way to quick on a boosted car to rely on the system to tune itself. I would never trust an autotune feature to tune a boosted engine unless the tune was already pretty spot on.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM
bdr
Teching In

Things happen way to quick on a boosted car to rely on the system to tune itself. I would never trust an autotune feature to tune a boosted engine unless the tune was already pretty spot on.
Yea I understand what you're getting at. There's already a dude in the 9's with an FITech. Its old school sbc not LS based though. FITech doesnt control spark on an LS based engine, which is why I figured I'd ask here...would need a 6010, setup timing etc..
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Restricted User

The EFITech system definitely works, don't get me wrong. There are lots of people running it with good success, but its never going to be a 'racers choice'. It falls more into the category of the guys building 30s Fords with Fully chromed engines with 8-71 blowers who will never drive over 45 mph. Its capable and works, but it should never be intended as the best way of doing things.

You have to make the decision of what you intend to do. Want a simple bolt-on system that will allow you to occasionally put the hammer down on your boosted car? Sure, it will definitely do the job, there isn't any question there. It has a 2.5-bar MAP sensor and can tune up to mid 20s worth of boost.

If you want a far more capable system that has a slight learning curve, its hard to choose anything other than Micro. Not only will be be far better at the track, but you also get things like Flex fuel capability incase you ever want to fill up on E85, and you can switch between tunes on the fly.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:22 AM
bdr
Teching In

The EFITech system definitely works, don't get me wrong. There are lots of people running it with good success, but its never going to be a 'racers choice'. It falls more into the category of the guys building 30s Fords with Fully chromed engines with 8-71 blowers who will never drive over 45 mph. Its capable and works, but it should never be intended as the best way of doing things.

You have to make the decision of what you intend to do. Want a simple bolt-on system that will allow you to occasionally put the hammer down on your boosted car? Sure, it will definitely do the job, there isn't any question there. It has a 2.5-bar MAP sensor and can tune up to mid 20s worth of boost.

If you want a far more capable system that has a slight learning curve, its hard to choose anything other than Micro. Not only will be be far better at the track, but you also get things like Flex fuel capability incase you ever want to fill up on E85, and you can switch between tunes on the fly.

The FITech, unfortunately is probably a pipe dream for me. I like it, I like the idea behind it, the cost isnt a factor but like you and others have said, blowing up a motor is what I dont want to happen. I know direct port beats TBI. Doing it on my own, starting my engine myself for the first time and tuning it is very very interesting, a huge accomplishment. The microsquirt thing, I need to read their wiki page to make sure I know wtf I'm buying, what I need, where do I go for tuning support etc.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Restricted User

If you don't want the hassle, either go to EFISource or Shannon Taylor and get the plug and play kit. You provide power/ground/ignition to the harness that has already been designed to plug right in to all of the factory sensors and is pre-wired with fuses and relays. It comes loaded with a base turbo tune that will get you running and driving, and making low boost. From there, the auto-tune feature will let you slowly turn the boost up while it helps babysit your AFR.

If you already have a running/driving car, HPTuners is another route. Not nearly as capable, and the price is about the same, but you don't have to touch the wiring and there are lots of turbo base tunes out there that will still take a lot of the hassle out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone running FITech 1200 with 16+ psi?