Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone measure actual External manifold/housing surface temps? (Not EGT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Default Anyone measure actual External manifold/housing surface temps? (Not EGT)

I understand that the material thickness will come into play here, but does anyone know roughly what turbo housings/ OEM cast manifolds exterior surface temps reach? Do you think they exceed 1200*F? Few coatings I was looking into and was just generally curious if anyone has had the equipment to measure this approximately? I know some of the nicer laser temp guns go up to 930*. Anyone checked this on a dyno pull maybe?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I feel like I researched this years ago, but I was more concerned with the compressor side temps. I believe I reached out to Forced Inductions who had some info about actual housing temps, you may try them.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

It depends.

If you're on a dyno doing long pulls or steady state tuning....you can bet they'll get f'ing hot.

On the road, maybe even just 1/4s where there is always decent airflow around things....not so bad.

Longer duration WOT racing...again going to get much hotter.

Whilst not really a proper temperature reading....can you stick a cheap camera under and watch to see what colour the manifold gets ?

I chose only to lightly wrap my truck manifolds then bolted the OEM heat shield over the top. I didnt cover any other part of the turbo system despite it running within a few mm of bodywork in places. I used BBQ paint over the turbine housing etc which has a high rating, but not huge.

Even doing standing 1km runs doesnt seem to have caused any heat related problems or anything burning or melting which I was surprised at. As I only use pump fuel, it can get hotter than some other fuels and I do.
On a 1/4 I've recently seen around 1670degF pre-turbine. Didnt have the EGT working last year on the 1km runs so not sure how much hotter it would be inside at that duration although it almost looks like it's levelling out at that.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I was assuming ~1200

I coated mine with Cerokote. Just got the tester size and have 3/4 left after two turbine housings. Have not ran it yet though.

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/fini...lacier-silver/

Quick Reply: Anyone measure actual External manifold/housing surface temps? (Not EGT)