Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should vented catch can be smoking on 6.0 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should vented catch can be smoking on 6.0 LS?

First of all, this is the first turbo car I've owned so I'm new to turbo stuff. I recently traded for a truck that has a turbo LQ4. This LQ4 was supposedly just rebuilt and only has 7k miles on it. It has a vented catch can setup, and I noticed the other night when I got out of the truck that it was smoking, as I could see it in the headlights. I drove it again the other day and then looked under the hood and smoke was coming out of the vent on the catch can. It doesn't smoke one bit when cold started though. I guess only after I drive it for a bit.

Is this normal for a vented catch can? Also, sorry for the stupid question, but does a vented catch can still collect oil, or is it all vented to atmosphere? Because the catch can was empty when I checked it.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it is normal for it to smoke. well to an extent.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah really depends how much you're getting, shouldn't exacrly be pouring out of the filter.

My ls1 is a "strong/tight" engine and it steams out the catch can lightly all the time.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SteenH
Yeah really depends how much you're getting, shouldn't exacrly be pouring out of the filter.

My ls1 is a "strong/tight" engine and it steams out the catch can lightly all the time.
What would be considered lightly? When I got out of the truck at night I could see it in the headlights. When I looked under the hood, I could see smoke coming from the vent steadily, but I don't if you would consider it pouring out or not.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

What temps are you running it at? From what I've seen it's pretty normal if it's been sitting and or has excessive water in it from sitting or not running it up to temp ever. (esp. with E85) If you go out on a 20+ mile cruise and get it up to 200-220 or so the majority of the time, it should evaporate all the water. At that point it shouldn't steam/smoke out the vents IMO. At least none of my LS projects have.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
What temps are you running it at? From what I've seen it's pretty normal if it's been sitting and or has excessive water in it from sitting or not running it up to temp ever. (esp. with E85) If you go out on a 20+ mile cruise and get it up to 200-220 or so the majority of the time, it should evaporate all the water. At that point it shouldn't steam/smoke out the vents IMO. At least none of my LS projects have.
It has the stock thermostat, so it stays around 195-200. It runs on 91 pump gas as well, but honestly, both times I noticed the steam I had just driven it a few miles to a buddy's house and parked it, so I'm sure it didn't have time to evaporate all the water, as it had barely got to temp before I parked it and stopped. Maybe that's the reason.

Quick Reply: Should vented catch can be smoking on 6.0 LS?