LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   In need of rebuilding my D1SC Procharger, options? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1835184-need-rebuilding-my-d1sc-procharger-options.html)

K10Turbo 06-10-2016 08:42 AM

In need of rebuilding my D1SC Procharger, options?

Hey guys,

while I have my car apart for an engine rebuild, I noticed my D1SC internally leaks, and there's slight play in the impeller. I figure I'd take the time to have it rebuilt. Does anyone have a how to for this specific unit? I've tried contacting Procharger via email and phone calls to get a quote to rebuild it, but I either don't get responses or can't get through. I'd want to replace all the bearings and seals to be on the safe side. While googling it, I found a place called 928 motorsports that offers their services to rebuild it, and it seems like a fair price too. $517 to rebuild it, parts included, and $36 to ship it back. I'm not opposed to doing it myself, but I haven't done it before either. Thoughts?

K10Turbo 06-10-2016 02:44 PM

Ls1tech pls

josh4ku 06-10-2016 03:04 PM

I had one that needed rebuilt a few years ago. Sent it in. They charged my like $1500-$1800 to rebuild it . I was not happy about that. Obsoletely ridiculous I thought.

K10Turbo 06-10-2016 03:20 PM

Good lord, that's over 3 times what 928 is asking for. Was your case spent or something?

SilverSS 06-10-2016 04:03 PM

Procharger rapes you so i don't even bother. I've rebuilt my F1a before after completely trashing the internals and have had it apart plenty of times after for inspection. I have sourced all bearings and even have a spare impeller and gearset lol (custom made).I dont even bother with their oil either, just royal purple motor oil has been working perfectly. Nothing special about prochargers and thats a fact. The 928 price is good if they are using good bearings that are rated for the rpms and the proper impeller shaft seal.

The Alchemist 06-11-2016 05:40 AM

Silver SS, I'd like more details about your rebuild. I too have an F1A, and when/if the time comes, I'd rather rebuild it myself than sending it in. Care to share your source for the bearings impeller and gear set?

Monte4ever 06-11-2016 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Alchemist (Post 19292048)
Silver SS, I'd like more details about your rebuild. I too have an F1A, and when/if the time comes, I'd rather rebuild it myself than sending it in. Care to share your source for the bearings impeller and gear set?

I would like that info as well.

SilverSS 06-11-2016 02:34 PM

Cheapest way: The output shaft gear can be had by the superchargers rebuild guy on the web. I had him make an output shaft for me. He has a few spares. The input shaft gear i had made locally. For bearings go with the jon bond guy along with his output shaft seal. He uses good bearings and the seal is better than others. I have a local source in houston for the bearings but keep in mind, they are sold in pairs when bought this way. Impeller can be bought through jb. Its easy to rebuild if you have a cheap press, a jaw puller for the bearings and an impact. The only tool you will need to fab yourself is a tapered collar used to slide the output shaft through the seal. Lots of info on google if you want to diy.

K10Turbo 06-11-2016 05:25 PM

I appreciate the input, guys.

ramairetransam 06-11-2016 09:54 PM

i got nervous so i sent mine into procharger and all it needed was some seals . I dont recall anyone from this site using 928 to do the rebuild .

blown97ss 06-12-2016 07:17 AM

SilverSS when u say the impeller can be bought through jb would you be able to give more info on that

mOtOrHeAd MiKe 06-12-2016 03:59 PM

http://jonbondperformance.com/index....ex&cPath=10_41

Some of the prices look fair, so right out to lunch. But, options are options.

K10Turbo 06-13-2016 07:34 AM

It's definitely more expensive, but it seems much more "legit" and they seem to be more familiar with rebuilding these units and higher end parts. Plus the standard 6 month warranty is a nice addition, and the optional 30 month warranty would be useful for extra piece of mind, and possibly a good bargaining chip if I were to trade my D1SC for an F series should someone be willing to do so.

K10Turbo 06-13-2016 07:44 AM

I also found the custom impeller on JB's website, supposedly it flows more air than stock, and could be a useful upgrade. They say you can "trade in" your stock impeller and get $250 back for a good condition D series impeller, so this upgrade would "only" be about $500. Maybe I should just upgrade the impeller and completely rebuild the D1SC and keep that setup instead of trading for an F series. I'm keeping my stock 6.0 displacement, mild heads, meth and most likely stock intake. I don't think I'll "need" an F series anytime soon.

K10Turbo 06-13-2016 07:51 AM

http://www.superchargerrebuild.com/o...-p600b-d1-etc/

Just dug this up too. Anyone use these guys?

The Alchemist 06-13-2016 08:06 AM

Very interesting that they state their impeller outperforms the factory Procharger one.

Might be worth experimenting.

neverstop 06-13-2016 08:44 PM

I know a guy who literally blew up a D1sc aftermarket impeller on the dyno at ~850whp and it was like a grenade. thank god nobody standing next to it or would have been horrific injury. I have no idea if the same aftermarket impeller as the links above though.

i called procharger for a d1 rebuild and if you want bearings or need a new impeller done it's basically cheaper to just sell your old one to someone who wants to rebuild it and get a new one. so nuts what they charge. google work turns up more than a few bad reviews for the other options unfortunately.

seems hard to justify buying a d1 when f1a94 or something is same price.

cajundragger 06-21-2016 04:09 PM

I've rebuilt my P blower. I used bearings and input seal from NAPA. The impeller seal is special and I got that from superchargerrebuilds.

The Alchemist 06-21-2016 06:44 PM

I have to be honest, the impeller for the F1A has me intrigued.

K10Turbo 06-21-2016 06:50 PM

I forgot to update this thread.

I decided to ask a reputable machine shop locally to see if they've done it before, and what they'd charge to do it. If there's a decent savings with quality parts, I'll get it done there. Otherwise I'll send it to jonbond. The prices are a little high, but they seem to stand by the work, and I like the piece of mind. Plus it'll help if I trade it for an F1A, or possibly sell the procharger kit and go turbos. Which could roughly cover almost half the cost, or more.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

93camaro_zzz 06-22-2016 10:31 AM

Why the hell is this stickied? lol

The Alchemist 06-22-2016 03:08 PM

I stickied it, because for a lot of us Procharger guys, it's nice having some options for rebuilds other than sending it back to Procharger.

cajundragger 06-23-2016 12:17 PM

it really isn't bad to do. I actually advise anyone that owns one to eventually go through it so they can understand how simple they are and easy to work on.

the only hard to get part is the impeller seal. other than that it is standard bearings and seal.

I also use manual trans fluid in mine with no problems so far. the pro-charger oil is super thin and leaks even on brand new seals.

Blown06 06-24-2016 01:00 AM

Just to add......I run Royal Purple XPR 20w50 in my F2 with no issues.

neverstop 06-24-2016 07:38 PM

called Jon Bond countless times and nobody answers the phone.

cpe91lx 04-04-2017 05:16 PM

SR is my personal favorite. http://www.superchargerrebuild.com/o...-p600b-d1-etc/
They are more down to earth and everything is more reasonable $. JB seems to be trying to 'piggy-back' off of their success, as JB only started centrifugals a few years ago and SR has been around almost 15 years now - JB mainly only sells Oil on ebay ! - and both 928 and JB copied SR's hybrid seal designs to begin with...
SR's billet impellers are also more reasonably priced and they have a more diverse selection on most everything, gears, volutes, tubing, mounting kits, etc., etc., with new options coming all the time...
http://www.superchargerrebuild.com/

KissMyTushZ28 03-22-2020 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by cajundragger (Post 19306357)
it really isn't bad to do. I actually advise anyone that owns one to eventually go through it so they can understand how simple they are and easy to work on.

the only hard to get part is the impeller seal. other than that it is standard bearings and seal.

I also use manual trans fluid in mine with no problems so far. the pro-charger oil is super thin and leaks even on brand new seals.

Hey bud how's that manual trans fluid working? I have a P1 that's leaking a slight bit and I'm wondering if switching to a different oil will fix the issue. The unit doesn't have many miles on it but it is about 5 years old. Car has been sitting for a long time.

SteveJewels 10-25-2020 05:49 AM

Bumping this thread to see if any has anything to add.

I am looking to have my V-3 Si rebuilt this winter with new seals, upgraded bearings and a billet impeller. Also going to remove the oil slinger and pipe in engine oil. My understanding is that Vortech limits the V-3 to 52,000 RPM because of the oil slinger not holding up to higher speeds.

Of the impellers listed on the Supercharger Rebuild site, Handy link to the Vortech page of Supercharger Rebuild site, the first one lists an "Si" trim at 3.08" which is correct and the rest of the "Si" billet impellers and the cast impeller as 3.00" which I think is "S" trim.

I am looking at this impeller;

$405 – 8/8 Billet impeller for Vortech – 7075
Similar to stock design with small gains across all ranges.

I sent them an email asking for clarification.

headsup9550 04-15-2022 06:35 PM

I thought the amount that Vortech quoted me for a rebuild was rather obscene, so I rebuilt it. That gave me some confidence so I rebuilt the Procharger D1SC on my truck which honestly was quite a bit more difficult because I couldn't find any info anywhere about how to get it apart in the correct sequence. I did manage to get it done and since then I've built everyone I know's head units because I can't bear to watch them get butt-romanced by the manufacturer. Take your time, be thorough, be clean and you'll be fine!!

KissMyTushZ28 04-18-2022 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by headsup9550 (Post 20426717)
I thought the amount that Vortech quoted me for a rebuild was rather obscene, so I rebuilt it. That gave me some confidence so I rebuilt the Procharger D1SC on my truck which honestly was quite a bit more difficult because I couldn't find any info anywhere about how to get it apart in the correct sequence. I did manage to get it done and since then I've built everyone I know's head units because I can't bear to watch them get butt-romanced by the manufacturer. Take your time, be thorough, be clean and you'll be fine!!

Can you give us/me a quick run down of how you disassembled it? Thanks man.

corvet786c 10-28-2022 06:37 PM

I just sent mine into procharger and be done with it?