Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS3 owners, check those gaps!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default LS3 owners, check those gaps!

I just got finished (almost. I will explain below) gapping the factory rings in my "600 mile" LS3 shortblock. I was amazed to find that the top rings were all between .008 and .012 gap from the factory ! The second ring was in the low .020s . How much forgiveness do you think the factory LS3 has in it for boosted tuning mistakes, or boost period !? Not much, Id say.......I have the top rings at .026 and the second rings at .028 now. Well , almost all of the second rings at .028. I'm waiting for the second ring to come in that GM FORGOT TO INSTALL ON MY NO.7 PISTON !! So , guess I should rename this thread as "LS3 owners, check those gaps AND RING COUNT !" There was no damage to the cylinder wall, first ring or oil ring, so I know there was never a ring in that groove. Makes me worry about my favorite auto company when it comes to quality control these days .
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the build coming along? Do you have a thread?
Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
How is the build coming along? Do you have a thread?
No build thread this time. Its coming along great though. I actually had it all together and cranked it up, adjusted the carb, etc, etc......but I kept on worrying about compression and ring gaps, so I sold the LS3 heads off it, bought a set of 317s, and pulled the oil pan while still in the car. I pulled the pistons one at a time and gapped the rings for boost (.026 top, .028 second). That's when I found the surprise from GM on the missing ring ! I am porting the heads right now and I should be done with them tomorrow. UPS dude brought my new Holley mid rise single plane for the church heads yesterday. The last piece of the puzzle was how to get the compression down where I want it (around 9 to 1 ). I was considering hogging the CCs out on the 317s, but I made the call to Cometic yesterday instead. I will have my head gaskets around the end of next week. I went with a set of MLSs at a wooping .098 ! That should have me at 9.17 to 1 .
I should have it back together next weekend, hopefully

Quick Reply: LS3 owners, check those gaps!