Old 08-15-2016, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 502 Likes on 326 Posts
Default No wastegate in Turbo setup. Let's shake things up

Anyone ever try this?
Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i worked on fuel cars we had a guy on our crew that was a bigger name import racer. He said "what the ***** a wastegate" lol
Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Plan on running an outlaw class? You'll have trouble getting boost below the 3 bar range with no wastegate.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Plan on running an outlaw class? You'll have trouble getting boost below the 3 bar range with no wastegate.
That depends on the size of the turbo, rpm range etc etc etc etc
Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That depends on the size of the turbo, rpm range etc etc etc etc
My boost gauge slams 30 lbs by 4000 RPM when I was having wastegate issues. No idea how high boost went. Judging by the 170% duty cycle on the 80 lb dekas, probably pretty high.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

My boost gauge slams 30 lbs by 4000 RPM when I was having wastegate issues. No idea how high boost went. Judging by the 170% duty cycle on the 80 lb dekas, probably pretty high.
As you know, 170% duty is physically impossible. It's just a nonsense calculated value given by some dumb ecu's

And what happens with one turbo setup, will not happen with all.

You could very easily install a turbo big enough that might never see even 15psi or indeed half that.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What would be the point?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
What would be the point?
Exactly.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
What would be the point?
Maybe tractor pull diesels? That's all I can think of. I think those guys run north of 150psi.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The point is still having boost control without the expense and reliability of wastegates. I can think of 3 ways to to it.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of controlling boost with the wastgate and associated bypass pipe back into the exhaust, why not put a feedback loop back to the throttle plate. The more boost you have, the more you have the feedback close the throttle.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSswap
Instead of controlling boost with the wastgate and associated bypass pipe back into the exhaust, why not put a feedback loop back to the throttle plate. The more boost you have, the more you have the feedback close the throttle.
good steps, would go with this one

Old 08-16-2016, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of outlaw cars running no gates. There's a few threads about this subject on yellowbullet.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Busted67
I've heard of outlaw cars running no gates. There's a few threads about this subject on yellowbullet.
No I'm not talking about outlaw cars that are on the hairy edge of blowing up. I'm talking about your every day turbo car with boost control, but without the wastegates or bypass piping.

If you think about it, all a wastegate is, is a feedback device that uses the boost to open a valve. Just move that same functionality a bit upstream and use too much boost to close the throttle plate instead. The result should be close to the same. It's like having some automatic device take your foot of the pedal just enough to give you the desired boost, only you've got your foot matted to the floor.

In throttle by wire cars, it can be done through the electronics.
In cable throttle cars, it can be done at the throttle cable mount. I'll draw a picture and post it later.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

yall should do some reading on engine load and manifold pressure.

I could see this working maybe with variable valve timing and ignition timing. Throttle body adjustments aren't going to work/be very reliable.

consider a variable vane turbo if you must, but I've heard they don't with stand the temps of gas engines for long.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Seen it done down here in Australia and New Zealand.

Here is one http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...Litre&A=111342

700kW RB 6 banger build.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by LSswap
No I'm not talking about outlaw cars that are on the hairy edge of blowing up. I'm talking about your every day turbo car with boost control, but without the wastegates or bypass piping.

If you think about it, all a wastegate is, is a feedback device that uses the boost to open a valve. Just move that same functionality a bit upstream and use too much boost to close the throttle plate instead. The result should be close to the same. It's like having some automatic device take your foot of the pedal just enough to give you the desired boost, only you've got your foot matted to the floor.

In throttle by wire cars, it can be done through the electronics.
In cable throttle cars, it can be done at the throttle cable mount. I'll draw a picture and post it later.
Absurd idea.

For one, you don't want to have your foot hard down and something fighting against it to close the throttle. Your foot is going to win, and you're going to break something. If your leg can easily depress a cable clutch pedal with a stiff clutch, there isn't a 'small device' that will be able to close the throttle.

2nd, when you pull the TPS back from 100%, you start skipping through multiple tables in the ECU. Your transmission won't behave anywhere close to the same at part throttle, among several other things.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2KIWI
Seen it done down here in Australia and New Zealand.

Here is one http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...Litre&A=111342

700kW RB 6 banger build.
Great article. But that's not the method I described. It is one of the three methods I was talking about however. They don't use wastegates either. They control the boost by bleeding air from the blow off valve.

That method does work, but you risk overspinning your turbo. I've been using that method for controlling low boost levels only, while launching.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Absurd idea.

For one, you don't want to have your foot hard down and something fighting against it to close the throttle. Your foot is going to win, and you're going to break something. If your leg can easily depress a cable clutch pedal with a stiff clutch, there isn't a 'small device' that will be able to close the throttle.

2nd, when you pull the TPS back from 100%, you start skipping through multiple tables in the ECU. Your transmission won't behave anywhere close to the same at part throttle, among several other things.
You're right. A system that fights your foot won't work. But there are ways of achieving this without fighting your foot.

For example in a throttle by wire, your foot may be all the way down asking for more power, but the engine management may not give it to you because it's protecting the engine. In the same way, when the engine management feels that you're approaching your target boost, it can start closing the throttle plate, allowing your manifold pressure to come to equilibrium at your desired target boost level.

In throttle by cable, I'll draw a diagram.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

For throttle cable setups, the mount that holds the throttle cable sheath is not fixed. Instead it can move closer or further away from the throttle assembly. As you move the mount closer, you reduce the amount of the throttle, even if the gas pedal is matted to the floor. The position of the mount is controlled by a standard wastegate actuator which sees manifold pressure. A boost solenoid can be used in the same way as boost solenoids that control wastegate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No wastegate in Turbo setup. Let's shake things up