Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me out with a weird fan issue. Turns off after 3-4 seconds.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Help me out with a weird fan issue. Turns off after 3-4 seconds.

Ok, I'm posting in here because almost all of us are running a non-factory fan setup.

With that, I have a single 16" fan, that I wired into the factory relay setup, and it was working fine up until last week.

So, either fan or electrical issue. Put 12v directly to the fan, and it runs, so the fan is fine.

I hook up HPtuners, go into the fan section, and turn on the fan and it runs for 3-4 seconds, then shuts off, and I can hear a relay click off. So I replaced all 3 fan relays, and still the same thing.

I'm not exactly an electrician, sure I can measure voltage and continuity, and sorta understand a wiring diagram, but that's the extent of my general knowledge.

So please someone help me out. I could always just wire up a switch, and turn on the fan when I get in stop and go traffic, but I'd rather let the pcm dictate when to shut it off, ie above a certain speed.

I checked the ground under the fuse box that is in the driver's side, and went back to the ground on the battery, and there was very little resistance, and did the same with the ground on the wire for the fan plug, again, low resistance back to the ground on the battery. I checked the 2 fuses, the 10amp and the 40 amp, and both are fine.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Have you felt the relay? Is it getting hot and shutting itself off?

Andrew
Old 08-29-2016, 01:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I think it's a pcm issue.

I checked the green wire going to the pcm, and with the fan off, I'm see some resistance on the line, but not open loop, but when I command it on, the resistance drops, but doesn't go to zero like it should, but when I turn off the car, it goes to open loop.

It didn't do that for fan #2.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

If this turns out to be a pcm issue, I'm just going to put the fan on a switch and turn it on manually.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You can get a switch and adapter for $30 that go in the Coolant temp sensor port on the passenger head that will operate both of your fans at certain temps. Their OEM BMW fan sensors and most are 2 stage.

Pick up the 180/190 switch. Once temps get above 180, first fan kicks on. Above 190, 2nd fan kicks on. Much better than a toggle switch. Still directly by coolant temps but doesn't have to pass through the ECU first.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any tune changes prior to it all? Fans in the tuner are in a totally odd ball screen so unless you tweaked them recently I can't see how it's an ECM type issue.

It does almost sound like an electrical issue but it sounds like you have went through all of the stuff there. You follow the wiring all the way through? Don't have melted connections under the fuse box or something do you? Going through that on my TA with the headlights, thought the bulb was bad but it would flicker on, pulled off the connection and realized it was half melted for some reason.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You can get a switch and adapter for $30 that go in the Coolant temp sensor port on the passenger head that will operate both of your fans at certain temps. Their OEM BMW fan sensors and most are 2 stage.

Pick up the 180/190 switch. Once temps get above 180, first fan kicks on. Above 190, 2nd fan kicks on. Much better than a toggle switch. Still directly by coolant temps but doesn't have to pass through the ECU first.
Very good idea. It keeps me from having to remember, I like that idea.

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Do any tune changes prior to it all? Fans in the tuner are in a totally odd ball screen so unless you tweaked them recently I can't see how it's an ECM type issue.

It does almost sound like an electrical issue but it sounds like you have went through all of the stuff there. You follow the wiring all the way through? Don't have melted connections under the fuse box or something do you? Going through that on my TA with the headlights, thought the bulb was bad but it would flicker on, pulled off the connection and realized it was half melted for some reason.
No tune changes, and with HPtuners, when you connect to the vehicle through the scanner, you can actually go in and command on the fans. When I do that, the fan will run for 3-4 seconds then shut off, so I don't know what is happening that is causing that. If I toggle the tab in Hptuners, it will kick back on for 3-4 seconds again.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Would go through and double them all the wiring and the relay terminals. Look for signs of heat and melting. It's possible that the relay terminals are making a bad contact, causing heat, and causing the relay to shut down.

Andrew
Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Would go through and double them all the wiring and the relay terminals. Look for signs of heat and melting. It's possible that the relay terminals are making a bad contact, causing heat, and causing the relay to shut down.

Andrew
Good idea. I did connect to the backside of the relays and ground out each one that the pcm sends a ground signal to, and the fan would turn on and stay running, hence why I'm thinking it's a pcm related issue, that for some reason, even though it's being told to turn on the fan, for some reason, after the short period of time, it shuts off.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Restricted User

Does it only shut off using the PCM controls in the scanner?
Have you tried letting it warm up to temp and seeing if the fans stay on for more than a few seconds?

If the car isn't running yet, you can put a resistor inline on the coolant temp signal wire to trick it into thinking its running hot, to see if the fans stay on.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, this all started when the car began to overheat and I realized that the fan wasn't turning on. That's when I pulled out hptuners, the coolant temp was 225, which I have the fan commanded on at 180, so I went in and cycled the power with hptuners and discovered the issue.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Are you using the factory temp switch in the head-good it be bad
Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine wired up with their own relays and used the original wiring as the trigger for the new relays to cut them on. Is that how you have yours wired?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does this with the vcm controls on certain versions of hptuners. My fan runs when it's supposed to but if I try to turn the hi and low fan on at the same time with vcm controls it runs for a few seconds and shuts off. It's an hptuners issue I believe. Also with this version of hptuners I couldn't use vcm controls to play with timing or afr.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Mine does this with the vcm controls on certain versions of hptuners. My fan runs when it's supposed to but if I try to turn the hi and low fan on at the same time with vcm controls it runs for a few seconds and shuts off. It's an hptuners issue I believe. Also with this version of hptuners I couldn't use vcm controls to play with timing or afr.
This was another thing that I had happen as well. I forgot about that, it was years ago. I had staggered them by a I think 5 or 10 degrees.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well yesterday I fired up the car, and it came up to temp, and the fan didn't turn on. I tried turning on the a/c as well, and the fan still didn't turn on, so I'm perplexed.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 AM
Restricted User

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30113/overview/

A little expensive, but threads straight into the passenger side head coolant port and controls the fan.

You can get OEM BMW ones a lot cheaper but they are typically M14 and will need an adapter, but they are dual stage and will control both fans at different temps. Just cut the ground on the relay going to the ECU and run it through the sensor.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm going to have a couple local buddies take a look at it first, because there is a good chance I'm missing something stupid, but if I can't figure it out, I'm going to go that way and just ignore the pcm.

THanks for the link.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm still puzzled... hell with it, NASCAR motors like to be run at 250...
Old 09-02-2016, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

How is it wired?

Quick Reply: Help me out with a weird fan issue. Turns off after 3-4 seconds.