Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Displacement regarding turbine housing/wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Displacement regarding turbine housing/wheel questions

I'm just curious but instead of running a 408 with twin 7868 turbonetics "Benita" would I be better off running a 6.0 with stock displacement to negate back pressure issues ? I'm completely new too the turbo scene , but from what I gathered , the bigger the engine , the more turbine required. Also would I be able to reach my hp goals "1000 rwhp " and "1400 rwhp on kill" ?both would be through Holley dominator efi , water/meth injection , only difference being 93 octane for the 1000 rwhp goal and ms-109 for 1400 rwhp. I already own the turbos , as well as 15k in parts that are all getting installed throughout the winter. I just want what will work best with the turbos I already have .. I'm estimating the total cost of the car from front to back to be north of 25k easily.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

And what backpressure issues do you think you will have ?

Presumably you have no motor at all ? The smaller motor may well run the compressor more efficiently, albeit at higher boost. But I wouldnt get too worked up about it either way

Although does the 78mm refer to the inducer or exducer ? Power quotes do seem low for a 78mm inducer turbo ?

Worst case if the larger motor didnt work....it's just a case of getting larger turbos. Simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

compressor Wheel is a 78mm , turbine is a 68mm. Quite a few members have stated this turbo is "way" to small for a stock ls1 and either a: I'll run out of steam up top or b:the relatively small exhaust side will cause back pressure issues .I have a perfect running 6.0 with 60k miles sitting on my engine stand at The shop . My original plan was to build a 427 lsx, but seeing multiple 6.0 based turbo builds living north of what I'm trying to do , seems logical to save 3000.00
Old 09-25-2016, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

2 of them most certainly will not be too small. 1 would though

If these people claiming it will have backpressure issues...lets see the evidence.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well next Friday I will be running a single on a bone stock cam only ls1. Once snow hits , the overhaul begins . So a pair on a 408 should be fine then? I'd rather go with the extra displacement . I'll be running a Holley dominator stand alone, nasty n8 fuel system, crp fab9 and a tick performance level 5 tr6060. I just want a 9 flat capable m6 car that is gonna be a lot to handle at tx2k in the roll race event . I'm putting a lot of time and money in this build , and intend on keeping it for quite some time
Old 09-25-2016, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

I would just go with the larger engine. As said, worst case scenario, just change the turbos later, as that's a fairly simple task.

As for 9 flat...if it's light enough and grips well enough it is doable.

I certainly dont see the turbine being restrictive, I've 6468 BW's on my 383 and at pretty much all times EGBP vs Manifold pressure is 1:1
Your motor will be larger...but I still dont see that making a huge difference.

How my "64" would compare to your "78"...as said, depends what that 78mm refers to. If the inducer, it sounds like a very poor airflow for the size as even my 64mm wheel flows the same, if not a little more.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

These are the specs I have , I've always had nitrous cars and one single supercharged car. So this is very new too me . But I'm the kind of person that if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it big and go overkill on everything . The engine, fuel system, rear etc will all be up too the task of supporting double my goal, and according to this those turbos in a pair should get me up around 1400 spinning the hell out of em
Old 09-26-2016, 04:25 AM
9 Second Club

Obviously the above is a generic image....TN's own site it does appear to be a billet wheeled unit ( if TN's image is correct ), which makes the flow claims again either very conservative, or quite low for a 78mm inducer turbo, if that is the measurement they use

https://turboneticsinc.com/store/ind...&product_id=84
Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a smoking deal in two of them for around the price of 1 . 1 was brand new in the box, the other was used for one season the swapped for a larger turbo. I guess the dyno will tell where it makes power too, and give me a better idea how well it'll suit the car . I'll have it all installed and ready to go by next Monday. I'm gonna use the afr target tuning software with the dominator efi to get a safe tune in ,and to get me to the dyno . If I can make 600 at the tires with a single and mostly stock 5.7 , I see no reason that with a 408 and twins j can't double that

Quick Reply: Displacement regarding turbine housing/wheel questions