Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Corvette filter regulator for boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corvette filter regulator for boost

Hey there-

Is there any reason why I can't use the corvette fuel filter regulator setup on my boosted LQ4?

Do I have to have a boost referenced setup or is 60ish psi sufficient?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would say that would depend on your horsepower goals, your pump size(s) and your injector size. I'm going to go with it probably won't be enough but that all depends.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive run one for about five years now. With a Bosch 044 inline, C5 z06 and 60lb injectors regulator it made 740/810 with 1000cc of water/methanol spraying.

The main downfall of the setup is since it is not boost referenced, the more boost your run the smaller the injectors act. My injectors are 60lb at 43psi fuel pressure, so at the 58psi the regulator shows at no boost the injectors act like 72lb'ers. By the time you are at 15psi boost, the fuel pressure is back down to 43psi at the injector, so the injector is back to about 60lbs.

I once ran a rising rate regulator and return with the bosch 044 thinking it would stretch a little further and it didn't. If I had a bigger pump it would have for sure though.

Moral of the story, if your injectors are big enough, and you tune for it, it works great. For given injector size and big fuel pump, a rising rate regulator will make a lot more power.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd ask your tuner, one guy I asked said "it would work", another wouldn't even touch my car until I had a boost referenced fpr. For a few bucks more I put one on...
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i had the problem where it wouldnt regulate my FP to 58 psi....more like 80psi with a walbro 450

it made tuning very difficult.

it was the kit speedway sells so I'm chalking it up to a shitty regulator. anyone want it cheap?

I went back to the stock truck feed/return rail regulated set up and its nice. still have to compensate for boost dropping the pressure across the injector though

would like upgrade to a boost ref'd regulator soon
Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big injectors don't like to idle. adjusting the fuel pressure on them to make them act smaller at idle and larger at WOT make tuning them much easier/practical.

If you're only going to boost a few lbs- I wouldn't worry about it. Anything over ~10psi or so I would. At this pressure and power level it's going to be much easier to tune the car. It will run on smaller injectors and idle more consistent.

This is just my rule of thumb though- and I'm sure there is guys out there that run more with constant pressure.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all- I was planning on using my Bosch 044 and some 80lb Siemens injectors - maybe I should look for some 60s for idle issues as apparently I won't run out of injector until beyond 750 who... I only plan 6-650.

Quick Reply: Corvette filter regulator for boost