Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need Help Building a Roots Blown 408

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help Building a Roots Blown 408

Hello, I have been working on this project for sometime now.. I have a Forged 408 built by, ATK Peformance. It has : 4.00 stroke forged Manley crank, and rods. as well as Manley pistons -29 cc Dish pistons.

I am looking into CNC'D LS9 heads, and ARP Head studs with the stock LS-9 MLS head gaskets.

This will be going into a Chevrolet 1969 C-10 LWB Step side.

That's really as far as I've got. lol

What head stud kits are y'all running?

Recommendations for Blower kit? (looking at kit TBS)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey neighbor,

What are your power goals? That would really influence the choice of blower. You can usually find LSA blowers in the classifieds and assemble a kit with factory parts for pretty cheap. They'll support more than 700whp.

Of course, there's always Whipple and Kenne Bell. They'll take you well over 1000whp.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by bradlk1
Hello, I have been working on this project for sometime now.. I have a Forged 408 built by, ATK Peformance. It has : 4.00 stroke forged Manley crank, and rods. as well as Manley pistons -29 cc Dish pistons.

I am looking into CNC'D LS9 heads, and ARP Head studs with the stock LS-9 MLS head gaskets.

Spend quite a bit of time figuring out what your actual end result is supposed to be, then come back and ask how to get there. You should be able to get all the info you could ever want here, but not without asking a bit more specific questions. For example, any good high performance NA 408 build would overpower your original '69 C10 chassis, brakes, tires, driveshaft, transmission, rear end, etc. We are now talking about serious FI on top of that. Without knowing how far you are going, we don't know what direction to point you in.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

If you just want the old school look and performance is secondary that's cool. I totally get it.

However, if you have performance as a goal too, I'd seriously consider a screw over a roots. A 4.0-4.5l Whipple is a good balance of keeping some of the old school look while also being a modern compressor with much greater performance potential.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by SethU
If you just want the old school look and performance is secondary that's cool. I totally get it.

However, if you have performance as a goal too, I'd seriously consider a screw over a roots. A 4.0-4.5l Whipple is a good balance of keeping some of the old school look while also being a modern compressor with much greater performance potential.
Not trying to be too argumentative, but I think anyone with the least bit of an idea of what to do with a 4.5 whipple would not be asking for advice here.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gametech
Not trying to be too argumentative, but I think anyone with the least bit of an idea of what to do with a 4.5 whipple would not be asking for advice here.
Could be true. However, that doesn't rule it out as a recommendation for those that are asking here. The guy's spent some money on the bottom end. I'd say he's qualified.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

However, if you have performance as a goal too, I'd seriously consider a screw over a roots.
While not as efficient a roots is still quite capable of making some serious power. The engine I'm putting back together (bought it after it was hurt and owner decided to go BBC) (408/afr heads/10-71 blower= 13psi) made 915hp and 904 ft lbs. it had over 900 ft lbs from 3,500 rpm.
Here is a video the previous owner posted on You-tube

I don't know what my stock LY6/Lsa supercharger/LS9 cam engine is going to make but I know both engine will make plenty for a street driven somewhat light weight truck.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
While not as efficient a roots is still quite capable of making some serious power. The engine I'm putting back together (bought it after it was hurt and owner decided to go BBC) (408/afr heads/10-71 blower= 13psi) made 915hp and 904 ft lbs. it had over 900 ft lbs from 3,500 rpm.
Here is a video the previous owner posted on You-tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSzexMny9Y

I don't know what my stock LY6/Lsa supercharger/LS9 cam engine is going to make but I know both engine will make plenty for a street driven somewhat light weight truck.

That's What I'm Talking about!! I really like that blower surge.

I am aware that the suspension and overall original equipment is not going to be sufficient for the power goals i'm interested in. Although, those items will be further investigated when the time comes. Currently have front disc brakes vacuum boosted, 700R4 (subjective to change).

I'm really wanting to keep the old school look, so a big Root blower will be on top (hmmm. not sure if that sounds right) I am aware of the capabilities of the Whipple and the air temperature / density = power that will be sacrificed.

My main question I guess, is, are the LS9 heads a good investment? Lets say for on the top end 800-900 HP low end 600 ish with a 8/71 ? I am aware that the more you over drive the supercharger, the hotter it gets, and the larger the blower the less you have to overdrive depending on power goals.

@ $826.15 a piece, The heads come with the blue springs which are limited on lift to (.570 I believe). but, they are roto cast from a higher strength aluminum A356T6
combined with a thicker deck and limited to a 4 bolt block (not a LSX type 6 bolt) they seem to me to be one of the top choices for durability and higher boost pressures. So, am I in the right direction, or are there other better recommendations?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Those heads would be a good choice for your combination. Depending on cam choice likely need to replace the springs. Honestly most of the stock heads will easily hold 15lbs of boost with studs and good head gaskets and good tune.
If you want it to last I shoot for 600-700hp range, If it's mainly street driven you won't need more than that anyway, You can always change pulleys if you want make another 100-200hp. Keep in mind roots blown engines make tons of torque right off idle and on the street traction will be the limiting factor anyway.

The Blower Shop makes some nice blowers, I really want on of their billet blowers, They look like jewelry under the hood lol.
If you really want to make a statement and keep air intake temperatures under control (and make more power) you could add a intercooler between the blower and intake, They aren't cheap though and they raise the blower up a few more inches.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Very true. Just have to plan for and deal with the heat. Typically done by running low compression (7.5 to 8.5:1). limiting boost to about 7psi, and heavily reducing timing for pump gas.

Optionally, you could forego those limiting measures and never run pump gas. Alcohol fuels are a great option to run with a roots blower, and may be a tantilizing option if E85 is available at the pump near you. Race gas will likely get the desired performance too.

Thumbs up on the great looking and sounding engine. Hope you get it up and running again soon. Should be fun!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

That's What I'm Talking about!! I really like that blower surge.

I am aware that the suspension and overall original equipment is not going to be sufficient for the power goals i'm interested in. Although, those items will be further investigated when the time comes. Currently have front disc brakes vacuum boosted, 700R4 (subjective to change).

I'm really wanting to keep the old school look, so a big Root blower will be on top (hmmm. not sure if that sounds right) I am aware of the capabilities of the Whipple and the air temperature / density = power that will be sacrificed.

My main question I guess, is, are the LS9 heads a good investment? Lets say for on the top end 800-900 HP low end 600 ish with a 8/71 ? I am aware that the more you over drive the supercharger, the hotter it gets, and the larger the blower the less you have to overdrive depending on power goals.

@ $826.15 a piece, The heads come with the blue springs which are limited on lift to (.570 I believe). but, they are roto cast from a higher strength aluminum A356T6
combined with a thicker deck and limited to a 4 bolt block (not a LSX type 6 bolt) they seem to me to be one of the top choices for durability and higher boost pressures. So, am I in the right direction, or are there other better recommendations?
For a roots, I'd forego the factory options and go straight to aftermarket heads. Give AFR a call and see what they recommend.

Cam... Have something custom made to match the heads and the rest of your combination.

Springs... run what the cam Mfgr recommends or equivalent.

The right head and cam combo will move the same amount of air as the wrong set, but will indicate less manifold pressure... which helps with the roots (d)efficiency.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Very true. Just have to plan for and deal with the heat. Typically done by running low compression (7.5 to 8.5:1). limiting boost to about 7psi, and heavily reducing timing for pump gas.

Optionally, you could forego those limiting measures and never run pump gas. Alcohol fuels are a great option to run with a roots blower, and may be a tantilizing option if E85 is available at the pump near you. Race gas will likely get the desired performance too.

Thumbs up on the great looking and sounding engine. Hope you get it up and running again soon. Should be fun!
I live in the Midwest so e85 is readily available and that's what I'm running in my LSA supercharged 6.0. I'd really like to find an intercooler setup for the roots blower build. It's going in a 1950 Chevy 5-window truck so total engine height won't be an issue, As it is now the hood should close over the supercharger, The engine sit's so far down in there that you need a stool to stand on to reach it lol.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

For a roots, I'd forego the factory options and go straight to aftermarket heads. Give AFR a call and see what they recommend.
Don't underestimate the flow capabilities of the LS9 heads, I have a $3700 set of Keith Craft AFR 245 (cathedral) ported heads and they flow very well but the cnc LS9 heads aren't that far behind and they are half the cost.

Quick Reply: Need Help Building a Roots Blown 408