Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts, procharger or what?? stock ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts, procharger or what?? stock ls1

so I finally bought my #2 dream car for myself (#1 bb cuda) a 2001 trans am vert...I was looking at coupe until my son saw a vert and thought it was an amazing transformer cuz the roof cam down on its own....what life is like at 5 yrs old...haha....anyway back in college when I had my 85 iroc I remember the tv show (cant remember which one) where they boosted an ls1 with a sts turbo and made awesome power....well that was the reason why I wanted an ls1 f body....15 yrs later here I am chasing the dream...but now a little older and I am hoping a little wiser and I am looking for some info on which way to go for boost....I like the procharger kit and also always wanted to do the sts rear mount but have read a ton of bad reviews on them....anyone have any suggestions on which kit to go??? money doesn't grow on trees in my neck of the woods but want to do it right because I plan on giving this car to one of my boys and it never leaving the family....I have read a ton about brute speed and plan on giving them a call too once the car goes to bed for the winter....I also have a flashscan v2 so I am also looking to get some ideas for a good tuner, I only have experience with black bear for trucks but have read good things about frost.....any and all input is appreciated....and if there are any good used kits out there let me know.....thanks....also car is all stock except for a flowmaster y-pipe back and a 6 inch hurst ....so I am assuing injectors and a pump would be a good upgrade too, will do ory and a quieter exhaust if it will help....not a fan of loud exhaust....I like quieter since I am usually out cruising with my kids.

Thanks
cheers
Old 10-28-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd look at the Prochargers at brutespeed.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From the three options, I would go Procharger or what.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You've waited this long, wait some more. A little more reading will give you the details of FAR better options than what you have currently listed. The STS is a half-assed beginner turbo system. I know, because I had one when I was a beginner. The procharger is a high rpm screaming *** way to make horsepower. I know because many strip setups I have been involved with have had great 1/4 mile numbers and fun on the highway with them. Out of all options, a twin screw blower may actually be the most fun on a daily driver, but they have numerous packaging and handling problems(none of which are deal breakers). The other (and maybe best) option is one of the many front mount turbo configurations. The good turbo kits can be configured to give power when and where you want it. This is why the VAST majority of boosted factory rides are front mounted turbos.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
You've waited this long, wait some more. A little more reading will give you the details of FAR better options than what you have currently listed. The STS is a half-assed beginner turbo system. I know, because I had one when I was a beginner. The procharger is a high rpm screaming *** way to make horsepower. I know because many strip setups I have been involved with have had great 1/4 mile numbers and fun on the highway with them. Out of all options, a twin screw blower may actually be the most fun on a daily driver, but they have numerous packaging and handling problems(none of which are deal breakers). The other (and maybe best) option is one of the many front mount turbo configurations. The good turbo kits can be configured to give power when and where you want it. This is why the VAST majority of boosted factory rides are front mounted turbos.
any recommendations as far as a front mount system that retains ac, and k member? everything I have found utilizes a tubular k member and that was something I didn't want to get into...I was hoping to keep this car some what "stock"...my 85 f body was a 383 powerglide build that I spent two years doing(15 years ago before strokers were a big thing) and I really didn't want to do that with this car. aside from suggesting to read further maybe a product recommendation as that would be much more helpful. thanks for your input......magnacharger setup was the "what" as well.....

Last edited by meandmyz; 10-28-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Teching In

I have also considered a H/C/I car but to be honest I cant get over a lq4 boosted swap to make some real power for way less.....so ultimately a forced induction setup that could be ultimately adapted to lq4 or similar would be ideal....I will be putting the car away in the next week and then have a few months to figure it out....thanks for all the input and suggestions thus far
Old 10-28-2016, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by meandmyz
any recommendations as far as a front mount system that retains ac, and k member? everything I have found utilizes a tubular k member and that was something I didn't want to get into...I was hoping to keep this car some what "stock"...my 85 f body was a 383 powerglide build that I spent two years doing(15 years ago before strokers were a big thing) and I really didn't want to do that with this car. aside from suggesting to read further maybe a product recommendation as that would be much more helpful. thanks for your input
This is where the reading comes in. I think Huron has a kit and there are multiple China kits, but custom work is always possible. Some of the truck manifold kits retain street car accessories. Think about 20 years from now when your son brags about the bad-*** turbo kit he helped put on his dad's car.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

All systems have their plus's and minus's. Turbo parts go through extreme heat cycles, factory turbo kits have the bonus of millions of dollars for R&D, aftermarket turbo companies often don't have this resource. I've sold a lot of ProCharger's to people who are tired of working on their turbo kits, tired of chasing one problem after another. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by madmike9396
I'd look at the Prochargers at brutespeed.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 10-29-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For simplicity sake procharger is a good option to get into FI. It's more expensive than doing a single front mount and will not yield as much power potential as a turbo however there is something to be said about ease of install and upkeep. My personal experience with procharger was a ton of belt slip issues till I went cog drive and while Bob has the best customer service in the business procharger does not and is insanely expensive for repairs. I made the switch to a Huron speed turbo kit and couldn't be happier. What I like with the turbos is when you want more power it takes 10 seconds to adjust your boost controller, procharger involves swapping out pulleys and belts.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Teching In

thanks guys for all the input....after last nights wobbly pop and some graph comparisons those magnachargers really seem to do the job down low and since the only drag strip is a few hours away I might only see a strip once a yr if that....I always liked turbos but seems that a front mount setup and retaining the cars ability to go back to stock is somewhat difficult...k member swap etc...I am buying an ebay hood I love the ram air style hoods so I can store mine and cut into this one if I need to....I will keep reading and looking and thanks for all the ideas guys....and if I go procharger brutespeed will definitely have my business but I am actually getting further away from the procharger now....allot of stuff I really liked about the procharger but now that I am thinking about 20 yrs down the road maybe something else might be a better fit.....thanks guys....Cant wait to have my boys helping me out on this and hopefully pull my oldest son away from the video games long enough to get his hands dirty....my 5 yr old loves the wrenches more then me so that's a plus!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

With an LS1 I would go with the D1SC ProCharger, because it shouldn't split your block or require forged internals.

A small twin screw (W140AX) blower or larger TVS (2.9L) blower would be an awesome match for a street car. Especially if you are retaining A/C... you can find active intercoolers that chill the reservoir water with the A/C circuit... keeping your IAT's below ambient. These active intercoolers are best used with top mount blowers because top mount blowers require the fewest rpms to operate, and the A/C pump clutch disengages above ~5000rpms.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
With an LS1 I would go with the D1SC ProCharger, because it shouldn't split your block or require forged internals.

A small twin screw (W140AX) blower or larger TVS (2.9L) blower would be an awesome match for a street car. Especially if you are retaining A/C... you can find active intercoolers that chill the reservoir water with the A/C circuit... keeping your IAT's below ambient. These active intercoolers are best used with top mount blowers because top mount blowers require the fewest rpms to operate, and the A/C pump clutch disengages above ~5000rpms.
You do realize that without a really good plasma cutter you aren't splitting an ls1 block, right? You would push the heads off and bend con rods before making enough power to directly hurt the block. I will now quit pissing on your otherwise reasonable post.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Gametech, I was referring to the relatively thin cylinder sleeves of the LS1/6 aluminum block, which have been known to crack under boosted and/or bottled situations. I consider the LS1/6 blocks to be made of glass and best used for naturally aspirated builds. Still stronger than a Windsor block, but I, personally, do not trust boosting an LS1/6 block. I'm not an expert on anything, though, just my opinion.

Meandmyz did mention an LQx swap, which immediately fixes any and all concerns with the strength of the block. An LQx swap also opens up the possibility of using LS3 heads and an LSA blower for a budget boost build. Giving you the top mount blower.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Teching In

thanks guys for everything and after the weekend of reading a ton and thinking for what I really want out of this car....I am leaning towards the screw type blower and or a procharger....I love how early the screw type blower turns on for a street car, and the simplicity of the install, however hood clearance is the main concern, I am not interested in doing a k member drop....will the ebay aftermarket superhawk hoods fit with some trimming the underneath and no k member drop....I would also be interested in the procharger because I can keep all my accy, and not have to loose my fog lights, and I need to keep my licence plate in the front because of my shitty laws...I love the price point of the huron turbo kits but I want to keep ac, fogs and licence plate....this is why a rear mount turbo had appealed to me before.....with this car I am looking to reach 450-500 rwhp with stock cam, heads, intake....I don't want to open up the motor but will change enything that is needed, fuel, exhaust, springs etc...only has about 65 k miles on it but I want to keep everything stock for ease of instal.....I gotta work in a few hours and am gonne spend next few hours on phone calling some good shops to discuss my potential options.....thanks everyone for your input...I was pretty set on procharger at beginning but now realize the maybe screw type will be option too
Old 10-31-2016, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Hood clearance can be conquered. I believe it was LSXmag put a LS9 in a 4th gen, I am sure one could find the article without too much trouble. So an LY6 would give you an iron block, the stronger 4th gen conrods, and L92 heads. All you would need is an LSA take-off blower and a cheap blower cam, like the LS9 cam. Obviously valve springs and a bushing upgrade for the rockers, the usual stuff like that.

http://www.lsxmag.com/features/car-f...th-gen-camaro/

They did lower the Kmember with spacers, though. Depends what you are willing to do. The article describes what they do to make it fit pretty well.

Last edited by DavidBoren; 10-31-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
All systems have their plus's and minus's. Turbo parts go through extreme heat cycles, factory turbo kits have the bonus of millions of dollars for R&D, aftermarket turbo companies often don't have this resource. I've sold a lot of ProCharger's to people who are tired of working on their turbo kits, tired of chasing one problem after another. Bob
People kill me with this "chasing one problem after another, with turbo kits". How many problems could you possibly have? Once it's installed, assuming it's done right....what problems would you be "constantly chasing"? But yea, I understand your angle....being that you are in the business of selling superchargers.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Game ova
People kill me with this "chasing one problem after another, with turbo kits". How many problems could you possibly have? Once it's installed, assuming it's done right....what problems would you be "constantly chasing"? But yea, I understand your angle....being that you are in the business of selling superchargers.
Heat cycles can crack apart plumbing, I've had people call about chasing problems with their turbo kits, and they get tired of them. Bob

Quick Reply: sts, procharger or what?? stock ls1