Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L33 Silverado ECSB 4wd, Stock 4l60E, S366 Single, 400-450whp

Old 10-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 Silverado ECSB 4wd, Stock 4l60E, S366 Single, 400-450whp

I'm in the process of specifying all the parts for my turbo build. The plan is to use a Trick T4 manifold as the foundation of the kit. I'll use an Ebay intercooler. DIY mild steel piping for the cold and hot side (DC only TIG welder).

I'm just looking to make my truck a little more fun around town. It's main purpose is hauling around mine and my daughters dirt bikes. I really don't tow much at all.

It seems like an BW S366 turbo should be perfect for this application and have great spool characteristics. Any thoughts on this turbo choice? These turbos are easy to find on Ebay for around $600. That seems like a small enough jump from the Chinese turbos to make getting a name brand turbo worth it.

I plan to fab up the whole kit, then have it professionally tuned locally.

Any thoughts on this setup before I pull the trigger and start buying parts???
Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 366 with the larger turbine would be a fun truck. Mild steel cold side I don't really car for but we work with what we got.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

Have you spoke with Trick? He just released is own turbo.
Look on performancetrucks.net under the forced induction section
Old 10-29-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted67
The 366 with the larger turbine would be a fun truck. Mild steel cold side I don't really car for but we work with what we got.
Is the downside to mild steel just the additional heat that might soak in from the engine bay?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Yea heat soak is a problem but mainly its a visual problem for me.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by luckyguy19
Is the downside to mild steel just the additional heat that might soak in from the engine bay?
you can dc tig aluminum. look up helium setup for dc tig.
APPARENTLY you can also tig aluminum with DC positive in a pinch.

if only care about performance you can always just wrap the piping. I dont think heat soak is going to differ much from steal vs aluminum as they are both inside the engine bay= same closed environment temperature and nothing cooling it down.
I guess you could argue that inside temp from the intercooler is lower temperature? but its flowing so fast and only there at a split second that any(if all all) absorption of heat would be negligible that I wouldn't even worry about it.

I did wrap mine because it was right on top of the turbo(but i would have wrapped it even if it was aluminum.)

600whp no issues.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS325ci
you can dc tig aluminum. look up helium setup for dc tig.
APPARENTLY you can also tig aluminum with DC positive in a pinch.

if only care about performance you can always just wrap the piping. I dont think heat soak is going to differ much from steal vs aluminum as they are both inside the engine bay= same closed environment temperature and nothing cooling it down.
I guess you could argue that inside temp from the intercooler is lower temperature? but its flowing so fast and only there at a split second that any(if all all) absorption of heat would be negligible that I wouldn't even worry about it.

I did wrap mine because it was right on top of the turbo(but i would have wrapped it even if it was aluminum.)

600whp no issues.
I'm sure you will have no issues with mild steel and wrapping it but damn it's ugly and will probably cost the same or maybe more with the wrap than going with eBay aluminum. That's if you can get a buddy to weld it for cheap.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Busted67
I'm sure you will have no issues with mild steel and wrapping it but damn it's ugly and will probably cost the same or maybe more with the wrap than going with eBay aluminum. That's if you can get a buddy to weld it for cheap.
i hate to break it to you but most if not majority of the people don't have a "buddy" that can weld, even less has a buddy that can weld aluminum.

that leaves you with 3 options.
1. use a bunch of coupler to make the bends.
2. take it to a shop = $$(if you got it then cool)
3. cut and tape it in place and hopefully it doesnt shift when you take it to the shop to get welded.

cost of material isnt the issue here its the cost of tig.

ill take steel pipe that fits correctly and paint it black if you really want that "clean" look. done.

if you got a buddy that can tig aluminum consider yourself lucky. if everybody has that kits woulnt be so expensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L33 Silverado ECSB 4wd, Stock 4l60E, S366 Single, 400-450whp