Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pulled the trigger: Mild H/C to street turbo set up (3rd gen) - 6.9@101mph

Old 01-19-2017, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Nice. How fast did that turbo build boost? Sounds great on the dyno.

I'll be more than happy with 600rwhp being the upper limit compared to my current power levels.
It was all in very quickly. Here is an in car video on the same setting.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

i do have a cutout but its after the cat due to my previous n/a setup.I am deleting the cat and moving my cutout to where the cats would be on our cars so that its closer to the down pipe. Having full length exhaust with the cutout closed vs open is a noticeable restriction and power loss and Im running 3inch front to back. I doubt Ill have backpressure issues once I delete the cat.

Redrocket has a nice setup. On his dyno vid I think he was using E85, I dont know if he has tried seeing what the car makes on pump gas vs E. He was running 14lbs and Im running about 12lbs making similar hp but on the dyno I make more tq...mainly due to being M6 I figure. Im sure I can squeeze about 40-60whp once I fix that without having my cat choke me up.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
It was all in very quickly. Here is an in car video on the same setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epka37stN9k
^^I would love to spool that fast!!!! Hit 100mph+ instantly.

Originally Posted by Redbull87
i do have a cutout but its after the cat due to my previous n/a setup.I am deleting the cat and moving my cutout to where the cats would be on our cars so that its closer to the down pipe. Having full length exhaust with the cutout closed vs open is a noticeable restriction and power loss and Im running 3inch front to back. I doubt Ill have backpressure issues once I delete the cat.

Redrocket has a nice setup. On his dyno vid I think he was using E85, I dont know if he has tried seeing what the car makes on pump gas vs E. He was running 14lbs and Im running about 12lbs making similar hp but on the dyno I make more tq...mainly due to being M6 I figure. Im sure I can squeeze about 40-60whp once I fix that without having my cat choke me up.
I think you're right. Any track times or trap speed?

GM 2 bar map sensor came in with new grommet. I know the ears have to be trimmed in order to mount in the stock location but is there any issues with the grommet leaking?

thanks.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I havent had a clean pass to see my times yet due to breaking everything behind the motor with the jump in power.I needed to step up my clutch..went twin disc, broke my stock 9 bolt rear etc etc.Im itching to see what it does when the rest of the car holds up before i try to rip down the track.

On the street its really easy to spool up..and spin tire.On the hwy I dont put my foot down unless Im in 4th and want to roll out.I can cruise at 125kmh in 6th and have passing power. I can try to make a better video while cruising showing my gauges and when full boost hits..its damn near identical to redrockets post above.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I see your running the cxracing turbo kit. How well did that kit fit for you?? What kind of clearance cross over to fans was there?? Thinking about getting the hot and cold side but using a better turbo for my 6.0l build. Also are you just using the f-body accessory drive?? And where did you relocate the tensioner??

Last edited by 91 Z28; 01-20-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
I see your running the cxracing turbo kit. How well did that kit fit for you?? What kind of clearance cross over to fans was there?? Thinking about getting the hot and cold side but using a better turbo for my 6.0l build. Also are you just using the f-body accessory drive?? And where did you relocate the tensioner??
I'm using 4th gen Fbody accessories. The cross over pipe has been updated so stock tensioner clears. Clearance for fans is tight with the updated cross over. I'll comment more on fitment once I fire it up and confirm I'm not melting things.

Will be working on my base tune this coming up week. Welcome to input from hp tuner gurus.

From my research I will:
1. Enable 2 bar OS
2. Run SD tune(disabling MAF frequency)
3. Re-scale injectors from 42 to 80 lbs.
4. Adjust Power enrichment to boost friendly afr target (11.6~)
5. Work on VE table above 105 kpa(boost region)
6. Work on timing advance on the High/Lo octane tables

Old 02-03-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Car turned on and idled pretty good.
Time to data log.

https://youtu.be/4aa_qZ6EAz4
Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you pm me a link to this kit?

Got any pics of the down pipe routing?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by No Juice
Can you pm me a link to this kit?

Got any pics of the down pipe routing?
They took down the link when they ran into the cross-over clearance issues. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

Been chasing down idle issues with the 80 lb injectors. Having to decrease VE by more than 50% for afr of 13ish

This little turbo lights up instantly (even at part throttle). Can't wait to get the tune dialed in.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Running better but needs work. With the 5 lb spring in the wastegate. No lag whatsoever and the turbo spool sounds amazing. Still getting use to data logging.

Last edited by CyberGrey Z28; 02-08-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Running better but needs work. With the 5 lb spring in the wastegate. No lag whatsoever and the turbo spool sounds amazing. Still getting use to data logging.

Sounds good man! That's gonna be fun. Can't wait for this snow to melt to start work on mine
Old 02-10-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

^^I would love to spool that fast!!!! Hit 100mph+ instantly.

I think you're right. Any track times or trap speed?

GM 2 bar map sensor came in with new grommet. I know the ears have to be trimmed in order to mount in the stock location but is there any issues with the grommet leaking?

thanks.
do u have any pics of the top side of the sensor? I have bought two real GM of the same one and neither have come with grommets. Only sensors with grommets are the cheap Chinese versions. That box print also doesn't look like real boxing either. I buy all mine from summit racing.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Sounds good man! That's gonna be fun. Can't wait for this snow to melt to start work on mine
Thanks. I hear ya, I've been working around rain here and there lol.

Originally Posted by customblackbird
do u have any pics of the top side of the sensor? I have bought two real GM of the same one and neither have come with grommets. Only sensors with grommets are the cheap Chinese versions. That box print also doesn't look like real boxing either. I buy all mine from summit racing.
Yes i had to buy the grommet seperately. Bought from an ebay seller that sells only ac delco parts. Good feedback so I hope it's not a clone. Will snap a pic later.

Been datalogging for knock. Was running very low timing and when boost would suddenly kick in, there would burst knock for a few frames. 

I read up on burst knock and apparently boosted cars cause false burst knock(sudden increase in air mass). Disabled it, did a 2800-5000k pull and it felt great. Is 4 lbs of pressure supposed to feel like a shot of nitrous?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I hear ya, I've been working around rain here and there lol.

Yes i had to buy the grommet seperately. Bought from an ebay seller that sells only ac delco parts. Good feedback so I hope it's not a clone. Will snap a pic later.

Been datalogging for knock. Was running very low timing and when boost would suddenly kick in, there would burst knock for a few frames. 

I read up on burst knock and apparently boosted cars cause false burst knock(sudden increase in air mass). Disabled it, did a 2800-5000k pull and it felt great. Is 4 lbs of pressure supposed to feel like a shot of nitrous?
post a link of that guy. From what I've looked for u can't buy the grommets seperstely but maybe u can. I would love
a new grommet on my new sensor.

Yes 4lbs is almost 30% increase in hp lol. I think 6lbs is the rated 40% increase all the big names claim with there kits. Turbos are instant power bc u go no boost to full boost instantly it's pretty amazing and they don't cost any power to make it. Superchargers are alittle different as they come in slower and build progressively but 12psi on a stock 5.3 was pretty awsome so just wait till u turn it up.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://Look at this on eBay http://w...m/262455788925

I don't trust our 91 octane so I'm going to experiment with mixing e85 and 91 to make e50 while I wait for parts to install the walbro 450.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://Look at this on eBay http://w...m/262455788925

I don't trust our 91 octane so I'm going to experiment with mixing e85 and 91 to make e50 while I wait for parts to install the walbro 450.
cool thanks. Ordered one!

i also just ordered a walbro 450 to swap out my new aeromotive 340. When I figured out the fuel
required for 650hp-700hp the 340 wouldnt have been able to keep up at my 70psi fuel pressure. From the data I gathered and posted in the fueling section the 340 runs out of pump at 580ish hp at 70psi, or 58psi base and 12psi boost referenced regulator. So now I got to rip it all out to swap pumps. Ugh.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the seal today. Thanks again.

Side note, decided to snap a pic of the real AC delco 2bar sensor box for u. The label is very clearly different than yours. My last 2 (in the last 1-2years have been the same. The rest of the box looks like it's.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Crap that worries me. Going to snap a picture of the 2 bar map I installed.

Experimenting with E50(50% 91, 50% E85). Car runs and idles smoother. Waiting on my ethanol tester to come in to verify content.

Started doing longer 3rd gear pulls 3,000-5500 rpm. It appears my wastegate starts opening up as early as 1.6psi as boost stays steady for a few frames then jumps to 3.6 psi. Tempted to throw in the 6lbs spring but I better wait til I install the walbro 450.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every ACDelco box I have seen has been like the OP's. I would be more worried about mine if it had "MAP" written on it with a sharpie (unless you did that customblackbird). I am sure they are both the same thing though. I wouldn't be worried at all.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha... clearly I did that MAP sharpie. I have many sensor boxes so it just makes it easier if I label them for quick identification. I also have a cheap ebay chinese 2 bar MAP sensor I purchased just to see if it was a viable option at like $8. The voltage readings were chaos compared to the GM so it sits in a box but I used the grommet which got destroyed when I couldnt get the new GM sensor out of my Truck intake. The whole sensor bung broke right off... waste of $60.

OP: Man I wish we had E85 around me, only issue is the volume required. But mixing it sounds like fun. But now that your mixing it how are you going to monitor A/F ratios? Doesnt ethanol like a different A/F ratio?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger: Mild H/C to street turbo set up (3rd gen) - 6.9@101mph