Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazy thought today. Since I'm running e85, I'm thinking about ditching the intercooler setup. I'm close to 80lbs of weight with the water/ice and cooler. Plus, ice is kinda a pain each time I go out by myself.

So I'm thinking about running a hot pipe and doing a water/meth system up front 15lbs for water meth versus 80lbs for ice intercooler

Since it's 99% drag car this year I think the weight and easeness would be beficial

I also datalog all 8 cylinders egt, so I could tune accorndingly

Last edited by Nathaninwa; 02-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Run it with no ice and see what it does. Should give you an idea. That thing is already scary going down the track. You need to add weight!!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Your right about the weight. Doing this would allow me to run ballast on my most forward crossmember getting the most weight forward and low. The intercooler is mounted high and the 5 gallon ice tank is where the passenger seat is

I can also get e98 from English Racing pretty easy

Just looking at all my options
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Give it a go and let us know.

I know chris's twin S366 5.3 truck didn't gain anything when he added an A2A on E85, so he removed it. Still the 5.3 SBE record holder I believe? 30+lbs of boost maxing out the 255* IAT before half track with no water/meth inj. You most likely don't need the water/meth either... could just tap your current fuel system and run a moderate sized nozzle of E98 pre-turbo to help cool things down. No need for extra tanks for water/meth that way. May want a burst panel, or pop-off valve in case of a back fire thru charge pipe though.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Give it a go and let us know.

I know chris's twin S366 5.3 truck didn't gain anything when he added an A2A on E85, so he removed it. Still the 5.3 SBE record holder I believe? 30+lbs of boost maxing out the 255* IAT before half track with no water/meth inj. You most likely don't need the water/meth either... could just tap your current fuel system and run a moderate sized nozzle of E98 pre-turbo to help cool things down. No need for extra tanks for water/meth that way. May want a burst panel, or pop-off valve in case of a back fire thru charge pipe though.
Is this on pump e85?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Is this on pump e85?
Believe so...
Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

I googled preturbo charge cooling. Man that is interesting. My turbo sticks out the hood with no intake piping. I wonder if nhra would have an issue with an injector right there

I can dead head off my regualator and feed the injector pre and post easy enough and wire in the stage injection from megasquirt

Ironically my intake is ready to come off so a safety panel would be easy, plus plumbing it that way is more cost effiective with no extra tank to fill
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

A lot to wade through, but there is some good info on pre-turbo injection here. Pay close attention to Kjewer's posts. I have a link to burst panels in there as well. can't use the standard high pressure blower stuff. YOu need the low pressure burst panels. Or something like an adjustable BOV.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?t=1603034
Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Believe so...
Damn! My car is run on full time e85 and I'm intercooled. For now I'll keep the intercooler and see how it does through these hot Houston summers.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Wow. There is lots to read through, but good info. I'm still reading. Thinking now I can use standard meth nozzle stuff and use like a nitrous solenoid to pwm

Weird how results vary, or some just don't have real world data
Old 02-10-2017, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

I like the injector welded to the compressor cover setup
Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Just using this thread to keep my ideas inline. Sounds like I should run 100% meth for cooling. I can't guarantee that I won't run some gasoline with my ethanol, and I don't like the idea of gasoline in my charge cooling setup

So I'm looking at a tank, a pump, two 1000cc nozzles and using megasquirt to pwm the pump.

I'll mount the tank and pump way forward and low as well to advantage of the new weight
Old 02-11-2017, 12:24 AM
8 Second Club

Agrimart has some of the best/cheapest tanks i've found. Just picked up this one. Great to have the large lid. You easily run ice if you want, and the large sumped supply/drain is nice. The $100+ some of the meth inj sites charge for a glorified lawn mower gas tank is crazy.

https://agrimart.net/2-5-gallon-rect...nk-spbm2-5-rt/

I like the devilsown 300psi recirculating pump and nozzles. Used them on many projects. Never had an issue and you can buy parts individually.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm not sure if you have built your glide up; however I have one with literally under 5 miles, no drag strip passes..... maybe 2 WOT passes in high gear. I installed it into my car..... hated the way to drove.... and went back to a T56 Magnum.

Billet internals, Tbrake, billet convertor, all spec'd for 1500hp and 3000lbs complete copy of our buddies setup in an RX-7 with 88mm turbo/427 that runs 8.20's@165mph+ consistently for 2-3 years without issues. If you are interested completepowerglide stock case trans/Tbrake, convertor, shifter, 3.5" alum dshaft with billet yoke, 1350 ujoints to 8.8" rear. $3500 Original cost was over $4500. There was no need to do a REID/aftermarket case as our buddy and the shop that built it proved it wasn't needed at this power level/weight.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you really having that hard of a time hooking up where you need to run ballasts and distribute weight? My 280 would squat and disappear. 1.32 60' without even trying. I'm with FF86. If you're going to ditch the cooler, run it without meth first and see where it gets you.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gnx7
I'm not sure if you have built your glide up; however I have one with literally under 5 miles, no drag strip passes..... maybe 2 WOT passes in high gear. I installed it into my car..... hated the way to drove.... and went back to a T56 Magnum.

Billet internals, Tbrake, billet convertor, all spec'd for 1500hp and 3000lbs complete copy of our buddies setup in an RX-7 with 88mm turbo/427 that runs 8.20's@165mph+ consistently for 2-3 years without issues. If you are interested completepowerglide stock case trans/Tbrake, convertor, shifter, 3.5" alum dshaft with billet yoke, 1350 ujoints to 8.8" rear. $3500 Original cost was over $4500. There was no need to do a REID/aftermarket case as our buddy and the shop that built it proved it wasn't needed at this power level/weight.
That's a great offer, but have my converter and input on the way and just for pc of mind I want the sfi case

Originally Posted by oscs
Are you really having that hard of a time hooking up where you need to run ballasts and distribute weight? My 280 would squat and disappear. 1.32 60' without even trying. I'm with FF86. If you're going to ditch the cooler, run it without meth first and see where it gets you.
With the 80e I was having problems. To much launch rpm and or boost would pick the front end right up, had to kill timing on the hit to keep it under control. Moving to a Glide I'm sure is going to help tremendously, but that just means I'll want more rpm and boost on the hit. I'd like a little larger tuning window with the 4 link, and the ability to keep weight in check while it's forward and low is kinda what I'm after. Running the alum block and moving the engine backwards to flush with the firewall probably didn't help any either

The meth injection intrigues me quite a bit. It's in the budget to pc together my own kit and looking over the water injection tables this morning in MS3 really made my day with the control, on/off settings and the low level input safety's
Old 02-11-2017, 12:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The glide is going to help a ton. Also I keep forgetting you're SRA.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Here is where I'm at after lots more googling and talking it over with my tinker friend like myself. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel on this one, and will work in baby steps. Seems really at my power level I don't need an intercooler, but I love tinkering on things, especially when I can get data

So first test will be welding a pair of injectors into the compressor housing and feeding them e85 from my current system. Starting off slow and low dc and watching iat's till you see the odd plunge where you know the sensor is alchohol soaked, that and keeping an eye on egt

I could try straight e98 liked discussed but may not have enough fuel pump at that point

I just need data is all

Thanks for everyone who listened, and gave great feedback
Old 03-07-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Well, fuel system is all done but one fitting which is on backorder. I have a single 210lb injector welded preturbo and plumbed into the e85 fuel system. I weighed my water to air system and it was hovering in the 85lb zone. I'm excited to get this car on the scales again, I think 2500lbs is doable

Glide assembly has started. Chose to work with FTI on parts. They speced a 9 inch converter, I picked up a vasco input, 7 clutch rebuild kit, new fti pump and an fti pro billet brake. Have some extra steels coming and should be able to get this tranny together on Saturday and get it in the car

The driveshaft shop made another carbon shaft for me too

Ended up with a full roller Ried case, I'm very impressed with the quality on this one

I'll update over the weekend on tranny progress
Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to see you moving along with the conversion and upgrades. I can't wait to see how the new setup works out for you.

Quick Reply: 240Z LS3, 8 second turbo build.