Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air to Water IC Share Engine Radiator?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air to Water IC Share Engine Radiator?!

Alright, I know this sounds crazy, but bare with me:

Currently on my race car I have a separate aluminum radiator with a large spal fan that I use as a heat exchanger for my Air to Water intercooler. This seems to work pretty well, but I'd love to simplify things, lose some weight, and reduce my amperage draw (4 fans now).

To cool my engine I use a very large Mishimoto radiator with 2 big 15" spal fans. Even when racing the outlet temperature on the radiator is basically ambient, the temp delta from inlet to outlet is incredible.

I am not concerned with trying to get IC temps below ambient, just keeping my AIT temps reasonable over long off-road events. Do you guys think it would work to have the radiator do double duty to cool the engine and intake?

Few specs:
-Engine is 6.2L LSA with rev limit at 7500rpm
-F1R procharger at ~23psi
-Frozen Boost 1500hp IC with bosch pump
-Radiator & intercooler are mounted on the side of the car, so they get no direct airflow and rely completely on fan air-flow
-Radiator cools engine only, no other coolers block air flow or share cooling capacity.
-Trans & Engine Oil cooler are mounted separately with their own spal fan
Old 03-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You would be WAY better off not using an intercooler at all than trying to use 200* water. You could very well end up with lower IATs not using one at all.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While racing in southern California earlier this year (outside temp ~70) the outlet temp of my radiator was under 100 deg. I was surprised by how cold it felt, so we checked it. When I pulled in the pits, it was ~80deg.

When I say 'felt' I do mean felt. The radiator sits next to me in the car and I can actually put my hand on the radiator outlet.

I agree that if the outlet temp was over 200 I'd probably be hurting more than helping. I guess the real question is what would my outlet temp be on a 100 deg day with the engine at full tilt... Also, wonder what the heat exchanger (with my current design) temp would be under the same conditions...
Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 PM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its really that cool then I would add some capacity with a larger tank and give it a shot, why not right? Worst case you go back to your current setup and only be out some hose.

Quick Reply: Air to Water IC Share Engine Radiator?!