Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2.3 Sidemount Whipple Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2.3 Sidemount Whipple Supercharger

Question for everybody. I have the opportunity to buy a Sidemount Whipple Supercharger for a pretty decent price. It's mounted right now on a 2003 Chevy 1500. I would be mounting it on a 5.3ls with Fbody accessories that's been swapping into a 98 Mustang. My question is, has been used a sidemount with Fbody accessories? I'm guessing would need to either modify the bracket that holds the SC to the motor, or change the pulley on the snout. I've attached a picture of the SC I would be buying.
Attached Thumbnails 2.3 Sidemount Whipple Supercharger-img_24991.png  
Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Sube
Question for everybody. I have the opportunity to buy a Sidemount Whipple Supercharger for a pretty decent price. It's mounted right now on a 2003 Chevy 1500. I would be mounting it on a 5.3ls with Fbody accessories that's been swapping into a 98 Mustang. My question is, has been used a sidemount with Fbody accessories? I'm guessing would need to either modify the bracket that holds the SC to the motor, or change the pulley on the snout. I've attached a picture of the SC I would be buying.
Don't even bother. They aren't very good without intercooling, and adding an intercooler to one is a ridiculous task. Aside from the plumbing issues, tuning is also complicated by the ridiculous volume of air AFTER the throttlebody when a decent sized intercooler is used. You would be far better off doing a turbo. I had a sidemount whipple on an '02 silverado for over 200k miles. Now that my dad owns it, we intercooled it with a large FMIC. The idle tuning has been its own sort of hell. I could write a novel merely by listing the ways I would have been better off just putting a turbo on that truck 13 years ago. That being said, once you cool the IAT's, a twin screw does a nice job of adding torque to the entire powerband.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Right on, thank you for the info. I'm looking into it because the price seemed to be decent, he's wanting to sell for around $1500. I wouldn't be going for max hp, just for some all around fun and I've always liked the thought of having a Twin Screw or Roots blower.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gametech
Don't even bother. They aren't very good without intercooling, and adding an intercooler to one is a ridiculous task. Aside from the plumbing issues, tuning is also complicated by the ridiculous volume of air AFTER the throttlebody when a decent sized intercooler is used. You would be far better off doing a turbo. I had a sidemount whipple on an '02 silverado for over 200k miles. Now that my dad owns it, we intercooled it with a large FMIC. The idle tuning has been its own sort of hell. I could write a novel merely by listing the ways I would have been better off just putting a turbo on that truck 13 years ago. That being said, once you cool the IAT's, a twin screw does a nice job of adding torque to the entire powerband.
All this x2

Buddy had one on his truck he got for cheap and during the winter when he put it on IAT would hit 80 or so at a steady cruise, didn't think it was too bad until he laid on it and it would almost instantly hit 200 and take forever to drop. He switched some stuff up to see if he could get the IAT down at all and keep it from pulling any timing and then the idle went crazy. Fought it off and on for 3 months and he yanked it off and stuck on a Vortech roots blower he got from somewhere. Hasn't finished getting that one together but it is setup more in a traditional blower way on top of a IC block.

If you are absolutely want the side mount go for it, but just know it is going to come with a lot of headaches.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rawr256
All this x2

Buddy had one on his truck he got for cheap and during the winter when he put it on IAT would hit 80 or so at a steady cruise, didn't think it was too bad until he laid on it and it would almost instantly hit 200 and take forever to drop. He switched some stuff up to see if he could get the IAT down at all and keep it from pulling any timing and then the idle went crazy. Fought it off and on for 3 months and he yanked it off and stuck on a Vortech roots blower he got from somewhere. Hasn't finished getting that one together but it is setup more in a traditional blower way on top of a IC block.

If you are absolutely want the side mount go for it, but just know it is going to come with a lot of headaches.
I would rather have a SC that sits in place of the intake manifold. The only reason I was considering the sidemount was because of the price. Sounds like it would not be worth the price of admission. Thank you for the info

Quick Reply: 2.3 Sidemount Whipple Supercharger