Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 turbo S10 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 turbo S10 need advice

1st time LS and turbo build. Beginning stages and need some direction. 98 Sonoma getting 5.3 and a goal of 500 rwhp. Want auto trans. Have a 4l60 that will probably need rebuilt, so willing to switch if there is a better option, but want OD. Will be street driven and want it to be mild enough to drive anywhere reliably! I have a 5.3 that is machined but still need pistons and rods. Do I put in flat tops for around 10 to 1 comp? Will probably be a rear mount turbo due to space because I want to keep the a/c. I need advice for heads (have stock 862's), cam, intake, tb and complete turbo setup. I also have a set of long tube headers that are ceramic coated for the swap. I have e85 in my area if needed. I don't plan to go JY, but I don't want to break the bank either. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:26 AM

If you know the trans is in need of rebuilding I would look towards the 4l80e myself. You can put a stall 3 convenverter from circle d and get pretty good take off but still daily driveable.are you beefing up the rear end and suspension
Old 01-17-2017, 06:48 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

500whp is within the range of 100% stock. Stock heads, cam, etc.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamdaniels
If you know the trans is in need of rebuilding I would look towards the 4l80e myself. You can put a stall 3 convenverter from circle d and get pretty good take off but still daily driveable.are you beefing up the rear end and suspension
i have an 8.8 rear 3.73 that I plan to cut down and install. Have not decided what to do on suspension, but plan to upgrade as needed and will also be upgrading brakes.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
500whp is within the range of 100% stock. Stock heads, cam, etc.
i would like to do a little work to the motor since it is apart and I have to buy rods and pistons. Didn't know if the flat tops would work better for a little extra compression. Will probably use stock heads with a little port work, at least gasket matched. Figure a cam isn't a huge expense, so might as well while it's apart. Don't want to use the ugly stock intake either. So I need advice for cam, springs, etc. or a suggestion on where to get them. Intake and tb?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Just call a sponsor and have them sell you everything...
No point in complicating making it complicated.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Man I think I would look at a good junk yard motor instead of buying rods and pistons they are expensive the last time I checked. Get a good 5.3 at a good price might not be a bad choice from what I seen you could make 500 hp farly easy with the wright turbo and tune is the key and factory motors have better tollerances than most machine shops can match I think. You see what Deman does and most are old junkyard motors . I build a s10 with ly6 6 liter rear mount turbo in bed and it works good mine is a blowthrew carb but efi would be a better choice but iam old school 4l80 trans manual valve body no computer but the msd controle module good luck
Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

You really don't need new rods or pistons for 500rwhp at all. In fact, you don't need a aftermarket cam either. Honestly, these are all wants. If you want to spend the $, thats all on you, and I get it.

Don't waste your time on a 4L60E, go right to a 4L80E unless you like to throw $ away. I broke a decent 60 on motor. My 80 will be going in before my boost hits.

Quick Reply: 5.3 turbo S10 need advice