Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How fast are everybody's T6 Single Turbo setups spooling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast are everybody's T6 Single Turbo setups spooling?

Just curious how fast the T-6 Turbos are spooling on the LS motors. Do most guys fab their own kits or do most people use a certain single turbo kit? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

5.3 S475, fully divided 2.25" hot side. It's spooled up by the time my pedal reaches the floor.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by svslow
5.3 S475, fully divided 2.25" hot side. It's spooled up by the time my pedal reaches the floor.
What size compressor and turbine wheel? Stick or automatic? Pics of the setup? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

83mm turbine, 1.10 A/R housing. Automatic.

Name:  20160418_212406.jpg
Views: 5410
Size:  163.8 KB
Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by svslow
83mm turbine, 1.10 A/R housing. Automatic.

Looks good! What size compressor wheel?

How much power are you making?

Where is the best place to get a big single T6 for this application?

Also, do most people with big singles have automatics or do some have manuals?

How fast do manual transmission guys spool the turbo?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by TT 300
Looks good! What size compressor wheel?

How much power are you making?

Where is the best place to get a big single T6 for this application?

Also, do most people with big singles have automatics or do some have manuals?

How fast do manual transmission guys spool the turbo?

Thanks!
My T6 S480 spooled faster then my T4 88mm. My friends S484 on a 5.3 with manual trans spools pretty fast... he got a better 60' with the turbo then he did with a stroker and blower. Unless your running huge twins I think spooling most any single on a V8 is pretty easy.

Box stock Borg is plenty for most people if your looking for under 1000hp. Even the knock off S480 has been shown to make 1000hp for under $800.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
My T6 S480 spooled faster then my T4 88mm. My friends S484 on a 5.3 with manual trans spools pretty fast... he got a better 60' with the turbo then he did with a stroker and blower. Unless your running huge twins I think spooling most any single on a V8 is pretty easy.

Box stock Borg is plenty for most people if your looking for under 1000hp. Even the knock off S480 has been shown to make 1000hp for under $800.
Slow Sedan, I appreciate your response, but can you give me concrete RPM #'s as to when a manual and auto spool the turbos on a 5.3 to make say 15 PSI?

Also how what percentage of people are running twing vs single? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 PM
8 Second Club

Slow Sedan, I appreciate your response, but can you give me concrete RPM #'s as to when a manual and auto spool the turbos on a 5.3 to make say 15 PSI?

Also how what percentage of people are running twing vs single? Thanks!
For what size turbo? What fuel? What gearing? How heavy is the car? What converter? Does the manual have a two step? Lots of variables when it comes to spool speed.

15PSI is usually less then the wastegate spring I run so 15 PSI comes on quick, can build 10lbs sitting on the line with a 5.3L in either auto or manual. We try to get to full boost by the 60' and launch 3000-4000 RPM in most street cars running 8-9 sec quarter.

What is your hp goal and desired spool? 800hp/3000 RPM? 3500RPM/1000hp? I've had 78 and 84mm turbos that are in boost at 2500k RPM in a manual and Ive had 88mm turbos that don't spool till 3500 in an auto so it really depends what your looking for.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
For what size turbo? What fuel? What gearing? How heavy is the car? What converter? Does the manual have a two step? Lots of variables when it comes to spool speed.

15PSI is usually less then the wastegate spring I run so 15 PSI comes on quick, can build 10lbs sitting on the line with a 5.3L in either auto or manual. We try to get to full boost by the 60' and launch 3000-4000 RPM in most street cars running 8-9 sec quarter.

What is your hp goal and desired spool? 800hp/3000 RPM? 3500RPM/1000hp? I've had 78 and 84mm turbos that are in boost at 2500k RPM in a manual and Ive had 88mm turbos that don't spool till 3500 in an auto so it really depends what your looking for.
So do most of the guys running a single T6 drag race only? I would assume that the right converter combination will spool just about anything quickly with a trans brake.

How many guys run a T6 80 or larger on the street with a manual and when they do, what RPM do they hit full boost?

How many guys are running E-85 vs race gas vs pump gas on the street? I've been out of it for a while is why I am asking

How many guys are running smaller to medium sized twins vs a big single?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Concrete RPM numbers on someone else's combo are meaning less. Weight/gearing (load) will play a huge roll. Compression, converter, hotside diameters, exhaust manifold types etc. You aren't going to get exact numbers that will be repeatable is my point.

Would be more helpful if you told us your combo, when you want to see full boost, and a power goal.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Concrete RPM numbers on someone else's combo are meaning less. Weight/gearing (load) will play a huge roll. Compression, converter, hotside diameters, exhaust manifold types etc. You aren't going to get exact numbers that will be repeatable is my point.

Would be more helpful if you told us your combo, when you want to see full boost, and a power goal.
Forcefed86, I have not yet built a car yet. I am trying to get an idea of;

1. Are there any T-6 single turbo LS stick shift cars on the street with about an 8.5:1 compression motor?

2. What are some experiences of guys with a combo like this RPM-wise spooling a T-6 80, 84 and 88?

3. Is there any way that any single turbo setup on the LS is laggy or they all come on like gang busters? Somebody told me that a larger T-6 on a milder LS can be a bit laggy.......

4. Has anybody used a quick spool valve to run a bigger turbo to get the same bottom end response yet make more power up top when its open and there is lower back pressure? Or it is not at all necessary with a T6 LS Single turbo build?

Come on, there has to be some general data that somebody can look at to see how they would want to build a car and where the boost will come in.

I already asked and nobody has responded about if the T6 LS is mostly a drag setup or can work on a street setup. Can anybody answer these questions? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
8 Second Club

So do most of the guys running a single T6 drag race only? I would assume that the right converter combination will spool just about anything quickly with a trans brake.

How many guys run a T6 80 or larger on the street with a manual and when they do, what RPM do they hit full boost?

How many guys are running E-85 vs race gas vs pump gas on the street? I've been out of it for a while is why I am asking

How many guys are running smaller to medium sized twins vs a big single?

Thanks!
Plenty of T6 manual street cars. Like I said before my friends S484 on a 5.3 with a T56 behind it spools as fast as you can get your foot to the floor. With an S480 my car might as well been a light switch only slightly more delay then a PT7675 which didn't have much lag at all.

Lots of guys running E85 on the street, it is available at the gas station after all!

I'm not sure how many are running each but around here its pretty equal lots of big single guys and plenty of twin turbo guys in the 58-70mm range.

1. Are there any T-6 single turbo LS stick shift cars on the street with about an 8.5:1 compression motor?

2. What are some experiences of guys with a combo like this RPM-wise spooling a T-6 80, 84 and 88?

3. Is there any way that any single turbo setup on the LS is laggy or they all come on like gang busters? Somebody told me that a larger T-6 on a milder LS can be a bit laggy.......

4. Has anybody used a quick spool valve to run a bigger turbo to get the same bottom end response yet make more power up top when its open and there is lower back pressure? Or it is not at all necessary with a T6 LS Single turbo build?

Come on, there has to be some general data that somebody can look at to see how they would want to build a car and where the boost will come in.

I already asked and nobody has responded about if the T6 LS is mostly a drag setup or can work on a street setup. Can anybody answer these questions? Thanks!

I don't see a reason to drop to 8.5:1, you can max out most turbos and the engine will hold it at 9:1 or 9.5:1 pretty easily.

S484 5.3 T56 car ran 9.2@155 at 3900lbs so if you can drive it will get it done.

If you have a crappy cam or tune it might be laggy but personally I haven't experienced it.

Not sure what more bottom end response you want as even a 5.3 can spin a 295 drag radial leaving on the street out of boost.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cast s480, spoolin like a **** over here. And I don't even have a boost controller to close wastegate while building boost.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

OP, do you know how to read a compressor map? If you have a motor with known CFM the map will tell you a LOT more than how much boost you can run before surging.

Or go backwards, start with a turbo and build the motor to feed it.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Point is you are asking general questions, so we can only give general answers. Yes, it can be done if setup right. Or it can be a lag monster if setup wrong.

Figure out your chassis, weight, engine, compression, cam, gearing, turbo etc... Then we can give you a better answer. Otherwise you just have random people saying their car spools like a *****... which isn't helpful IMO. What one guys definition of "fast spool" compared to another's could be totally different.

1.) Not that perform worth a damn under 500 cubes with a manual trans. If you want a responsive manual trans setup, it can't be a dog out of boost. 8.5:1 will make it perform poorly NA and you will lose a ton of response. Not good for a manual trans street car IMO. Just fine for an auto drag car.

2.) On what chassis? What weight, what gearing, what trans, etc?

3.) Yes, of course. If the combo isn't right it will be "laggy". What is your definition of laggy? when do you want boost? What is your power goal?

4.) Yes, and they work well if setup properly. Quick spool valves are generally good for an additional 500-700 rpm of spool time initially, and when open allow you to make pore power per pound of boost with less back pressure. When that additional spool time kicks in again depends on the rest of the combo.

General data isn't generally helpful. What are the power goals, which LS engine, and when would you like power to come online?

A 10:1 370 with a 212/212 @ 112 cam, stock manifolds, divided 2" hotside, small intercooler with 2.5" coldside would easily spool an S475 with a 1.32 T6 hotside quickly enough to be considered responsive IMO. If you put a spool valve on it, even more so. Should easily produce 850-900 whp with good fuel on a manual setup.

If you are street driving the combo above, I believe it would make power quickly enough to light the tires in any gear under 75-80ish mph depending on your gearing and tire. Too much power too quickly just hazes the tires. If that's the goal you can do it with a smaller T4 turbo, easier.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Point is you are asking general questions, so we can only give general answers. Yes, it can be done if setup right. Or it can be a lag monster if setup wrong.

Figure out your chassis, weight, engine, compression, cam, gearing, turbo etc... Then we can give you a better answer. Otherwise you just have random people saying their car spools like a *****... which isn't helpful IMO. What one guys definition of "fast spool" compared to another's could be totally different.

1.) Not that perform worth a damn under 500 cubes with a manual trans. If you want a responsive manual trans setup, it can't be a dog out of boost. 8.5:1 will make it perform poorly NA and you will lose a ton of response. Not good for a manual trans street car IMO. Just fine for an auto drag car.

2.) On what chassis? What weight, what gearing, what trans, etc?

3.) Yes, of course. If the combo isn't right it will be "laggy". What is your definition of laggy? when do you want boost? What is your power goal?

4.) Yes, and they work well if setup properly. Quick spool valves are generally good for an additional 500-700 rpm of spool time initially, and when open allow you to make pore power per pound of boost with less back pressure. When that additional spool time kicks in again depends on the rest of the combo.

General data isn't generally helpful. What are the power goals, which LS engine, and when would you like power to come online?

A 10:1 370 with a 212/212 @ 112 cam, stock manifolds, divided 2" hotside, small intercooler with 2.5" coldside would easily spool an S475 with a 1.32 T6 hotside quickly enough to be considered responsive IMO. If you put a spool valve on it, even more so. Should easily produce 850-900 whp with good fuel on a manual setup.

If you are street driving the combo above, I believe it would make power quickly enough to light the tires in any gear under 75-80ish mph depending on your gearing and tire. Too much power too quickly just hazes the tires. If that's the goal you can do it with a smaller T4 turbo, easier.
Wow... you have patience LOL
Old 02-03-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottywheels
Wow... you have patience LOL
LOL
Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are stacking the deck against response thats for sure... big turbo on a lil motor with no compression.

Take a 4th gen Fbody with a T56/5.3/475... most guys are getting PMP around 2800 rpm and mid teens boost by 3300 to 3400 doing a 4th gear roll on pull down the road.

Great thing about a manual transmission, is instaspool is just a downshift away.

There really are so many variables to the equation... that there is no concrete answer to your question except Build it and find out.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

370 billet 85mm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMByRk9h...y=stmz28&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/-mcO5Jx2...y=stmz28&hl=en
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Awesome vids!!!

Quick Reply: How fast are everybody's T6 Single Turbo setups spooling?