Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Evolve this car to become my first boosted? Is this a pipe dream?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evolve this car to become my first boosted? Is this a pipe dream?

Alright, I've had this '99 T/A for almost 7 years now. It's a 346 N/A build, built by HKE. I knew I wanted another f-body so I worked overtime at a BBQ restaurant to get the cash together and I knew to come here to find a good car, other than that I knew little else about the hobby. I found a match and never really knew what I had until I recently started researching FI here on the forums.

You see, I finally got something more closely resembling a Real Job(tm) and so now that I have another chunk of change together I've been having visions of sugar plums and prochargers dancing through my head at night. I'll ask for your patience please, as I'm still really green although I love to read and research so don't be afraid to point me somewhere.

The car is a M6 making somewhere around 450 HQ and TQ (been awhile since last dyno), it has been great to me all these years and I to it, but I've always felt like there was a lot of meat left on the bone. I'm still on a bit of a budget, but I need to figure if I'm good to start collecting the right pieces to evolve her.

Goals and Philosophy of the Project

Less than 600 on the dyno would be a failure, 700 or over would be considered a resounding success and I don't realistically expect much more from this block and not all that concerned with going beyond the goal. While I want to make most of the most out of it, I will not be gutting her and taking away things that make her stylish and comfortable. I want it to be something that will hold together for a long time without a lot of head aches on 93 octane and a safeish tune. I can't afford for the motor to blow up and need to pretty much do everything right the first time. Car will be street driven on the weekends with aspirations for some road course track days. I may drive it up to the drag strip just to hang out and watch.

From what I've read, D1SC seems like the way to go. Don't want to have to delete much, gotta keep A/C, so I'm not really keen on things like FMIC. Methanol seems to be a great way to get some more power for little downside so seriously considering it although I know nothing about dealing with such a thing.

The Specimen

About 30,000 on the motor and transmission. 155,000 on the body.
>> New GM LS6 Block
>> Callies Forged DragonSlayer Crankshaft
>> Scat Forged H Beam Rods
>> Mahle Forged Pistons w/4 cc valve reliefs
>> Comp 7.375 Hardend push rods
>> GM LS7 replacement lifters
>> ARP Head and Main Studs (12 point)

>> Precision Race Componets Stage 2.5 CNC'd 5.3 heads milled to a 59 cc combustion chamber 2.02/1.575 valves
>> Comp Cam 239/242 dur .649"/.609" 111 LSA
Thinking this is not the best H/C combo for boost, let me know of a better combo.

>> Lucas 42# Flowmatched injectors
>> Fast 90mm intake
>> Nick Williams 90mm Throtle body
Is this intake set up going to be too wimpy for a D1SC? Want to do it right and not waste money on a bunch of retunes.

>> Kooks 1 3/4" x 1 7/8" stepped headers w/ off road Y-pipe
>> 3" Flowmaster Super 40
Love the exhaust note on this car! Would estimate a 800 hp car if I heard it roaring passed me at WOT on the freeway.

>> Rollmaster Double Roller timing chain
>> TSP Ported LS6 oil pump
>> SLP Pulley (not sure of size)
>> Racetronix Pump and hotwire kit
Fuel pump gonna keep up? What are the options there?

Trans:
>> Tremec T-56 six speed
>> Pro 5.0 Shifter
>> McLeod Street Twin Borg & Beck Clutch
>> McLeod Adj Master Cylinder
>> New GM Slave Cylinder

Rear:
>> GM 10 bolt w/ 3.73 ratio
Yes I'm aware of this glaring weakness. Going to be putting street tires back on the rear wheels and saving up for a rear next.

>> A bunch of suspension stuff like relo's, Koni's, PHB, LCA's, SFC's.

Procurement Strategy

I'm hoping to gather most, if not all, of the parts from the second hand market. I definitely have a start, but still a relatively limited budget. I don't have a wife to goad me into buying silly things like furniture or expensive rings that cost as much as a blower but do not add ANY HP to ANYTHING, it's my large child support payment that is limiting progress. Don't mind taking my time hawking on the classified adds hunting the deals down, although I need to stop being scared and start buying before I become too interested in females and do something stupid!!

I know Procharger is about to drop upgraded D1-X blowers so I'm thinking the market will soon become saturated with folks dumping their old head units for the new and shiny, making the time ripe to at least get a good deal on a D1SC head.

I have a lot already plus a 3-gauge pod already hooked up live on my A-pillar just aching for a boost gauge. So what I'm I missing? Is this very attainable? Am I fooling myself in thinking this goal could be approachable at $6-8k? I'm hoping I have enough left for meth kit, and looks like Aster bracket would be a good idea, and whatever other extras y'all can think of. I will have a boosted LS car eventually. Maybe not this year, or the next, or the next, but.... someday.

Your recommended components for this proposed build? I will listen closely to y'all and if I don't end up doing anything now, I will definitely reference this thread in the future. Try to suggest parts that may be more common on the 2nd hand market please. Thanks!

Last edited by Straker; 02-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Evolve this car to become my first boosted? Is this a pipe dream?