Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

One turbo blowing air OUT of suction side...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default One turbo blowing air OUT of suction side...

On my twin setup, the passenger side turbo is blowing air OUT of suction side of turbo. Is it safe to assume I have a bad or failing BOV(tial)? I am gonna check the O-rings and make sure they look good. Vehicle runs flawless, and nothing on data log shows faulty valves in head(no dead cylinders-etc). Driver side WASTEGATE dump appears to be venting much better than the right side(passenger/right side is the side with air blowing out of suction side).

Never ran across this before so, asking here.

Thanks in advance.

-J
Old 02-20-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

For what it's worth...just went out to check car....it isn't doing it now, now that the engine is COLD....it was hot when it was blowing the air out. Maybe faulty WG? So weird. Compressors DO have surge ports.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of obvious but does the turbine spin?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suspect the turbo. If the other turbo is working ok it will blow into the charge pipe, and that could come out the entrance of a non functioning compressor wheel. turbo. If the shaft in your turbo where to break or come lose from one of the wheels, that would probably be the outcome? If it were damaged in some way it wasn't spinning I would expect the same. I wouldn't suspect the BOV?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oscs
Kind of obvious but does the turbine spin?
Checked when cold, both are spinning.

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
I would suspect the turbo. If the other turbo is working ok it will blow into the charge pipe, and that could come out the entrance of a non functioning compressor wheel. turbo. If the shaft in your turbo where to break or come lose from one of the wheels, that would probably be the outcome? If it were damaged in some way it wasn't spinning I would expect the same. I wouldn't suspect the BOV?
Both spin fine. What I am gonna do is try and duplicate the heat(just get it hot) and see if it does it again...as it didn't really do it while the engine was cold.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does your charge piping look like? If your collector looks more like a T and less like a Y, that will cause this.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
What does your charge piping look like? If your collector looks more like a T and less like a Y, that will cause this.

Name:  10569014_10203134132127523_4148611316848331148_n_zps8b58ca8c.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  10509677_10203039168673496_2246454143607004180_n_zpsb9d7495f.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  20151108_093835_zps6ja4ltjc.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  237.1 KB

Name:  20151025_111248_zps5009kux8.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  620.0 KB
Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
On my twin setup, the passenger side turbo is blowing air OUT of suction side of turbo. Is it safe to assume I have a bad or failing BOV(tial)? I am gonna check the O-rings and make sure they look good. Vehicle runs flawless, and nothing on data log shows faulty valves in head(no dead cylinders-etc). Driver side WASTEGATE dump appears to be venting much better than the right side(passenger/right side is the side with air blowing out of suction side).

Never ran across this before so, asking here.

Thanks in advance.

-J
What was the running condition when you observed this? Steady idle? After a free rev? Elevated yet steady rpm? All or none of the above?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SethU
What was the running condition when you observed this? Steady idle? After a free rev? Elevated yet steady rpm? All or none of the above?
I took the car on a 48mile cruise....it's longest outing since the new build/efi system. It was running hot...roughly 217degrees..(the car is usually in the 184-187 range with old setup) so I pulled over...opened hood..vehicle at idle, no revving...went to feel for fan flow...and in checking for fan flow, I felt the turbo on passenger side, blowing air out of it. I placed my hand on driver side, felt nothing...put hand back to pass side...blowing.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it stopped spinning.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

IMO you will never get a real feel for it with your hand.

Place something like a sheet of paper in front of it and see what direction any air might be flowing...or not as the case may be.

Taking care of course that it does not get sucked into the turbo.

If the gates are shut...and from your photo this would be blatantly obvious whether they are or not, then there is no plausible explanation for the symptoms you are describing, other than perhaps an error in the symptoms
Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely at idle the engine will be consuming all the air and neither turbo will be doing anything. Therefore it's impossible for one turbo to be pulling air in and the other blowing air out the inlets!

If one turbo had seised up and you were reving the engine (making boost) there would be a flow path for the air through the seised turbo. But in this scenario you would A) have to be making boost(not at idle) and B) have a stuck turbo, which you have confirmed you don't!

Could it be the air off the fan?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Soooo...basically what ya'll are saying is, either my hands don't work properly(feeling air flow) or I may be a huffing too much E85?

I appreciate the insight. If it clears up here, I'll roll it outside and let it idle for a while. I thought of the paper test but while on the side of the road I had nothing to grab that wasn't valuable(insurance/registration-etc). We'll see what I can come up with.

Note, when I was on side of the road I could NOT see into compressor with screens on them to tell if that turbo was or wasn't spinning. Only testing after(while not duplicating problem)with a flashlight was I able to see in due to shadowing from the compressor inlet and screen blockage.

So,..i'll test again, and report back. Thanks for insight.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

Generally speaking hands are not airflow meters, so I would hardly say they are not working properly.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Generally speaking hands are not airflow meters, so I would hardly say they are not working properly.
Actually ...

For reference-->Tested this morning, cold, noticed my left bank exhaust is blowing out quite a bit more hydrocarbons this morning. Also seemed to have more pressure when I put my flow meters(hands) over the tips.

So then I went up front, left the screens on, and placed a piece of paper over the driver side turbo. It did draw it in on the suction side. I then placed over driver side, and nothing. I put it directly up to the screen, and it did not draw it in at all. No suction. Flow meter certified.

Then we removed screens, to see if wheels are spinning. By eye, it LOOKED like the passenger(non suction side) seemed to be going slower. I then shut off the car, as we watched the turbos slow.... the passenger side slowed within maybe a few seconds of turning off the car...call it 5-7 seconds, while the drivers side, didn't stop for about 15 or so seconds. We felt for shaft play. These are journal bearing turbos, I did feel slight movement in both. It's kinda of hard to do an equal test like this just cause the way you have to grab on to each eh, shaft. When you spin them by hand, the driver side does seem to spin slightly easier. For reference we did put piece of paper over both turbos, nervously I might add, it did get drawed into both sides but the driver side was much stronger as it was hard to tell the paper was getting drawn into the pass side.

We did have some CRAZY backfires while getting the efi tested so, maybe that had an effect on one of them. Before I take that turbo off to inspect, we're gonna let it cool down, and inspect the wastegate diaphragms(TiAL 44s). Why? They haven't had movement in years, and we just dumped 60psi of C02 on them(was loosing pressure as well) and maybe, just maybe the gate is opening and bleeding out some pressure. Either way, I forget which springs I have so, it'll be scientific either way, and I will have some piece of mind.

Thanks,

J
Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

If the shafts on the turbos feel ok...I wouldnt be going nuts and pulling everything apart.

IMO get the gates sealed and road test it to see if things feel ok. Some oil journal turbos will spin at idle...some bigger ones might not turn much at all.

BB turbos on the other hand, they spin with a slight whiff of air !
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah trust me I don't want to pull the turbo off....pain in the *** on this thing. onna start at the gates...work my way forward.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

WG 1

Name:  20170223_161220_zpstlimjgr0.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  105.1 KB
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
WG 1

Looks like the gasket was FUBARed when it was put together...self inflicted pain or vendor issues?

Andrew
Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 AM
9 Second Club

It does look like it was nipped when someone put it together, although as long as the spring is still ok that shouldnt affect it at idle.

Although why is it also so dirty around the trapped area ?

Quick Reply: One turbo blowing air OUT of suction side...