Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dayco Polycog belts, any good for a s/c belt???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dayco Polycog belts, any good for a s/c belt???

I haven't really heard of these belts until now, but know that checkers, parts America group carries them. I special ordered one off their website and just got it today. It looks like a gatorback, but all the "treads" are cut straight across not staggered like the Gatorback. Has anyone ever used them for a s/c belt? If so, did they work or suck? I now have a handle on the 52.5 gatorback but will not get it until I try this one out.

This is a 8 rib, said 52-1/2 on the website but looks to be the same length as the 53-1/8 I have sitting here Will know for sure once I get it on the car....

Any info would be great,
J
Old 06-25-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worked fine for me.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

coo...Any news on the STS kit?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a polycog on my old 8 rib setup
Old 06-26-2004, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

They work fine for me! Those and Gatorbacks are all I use.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Right on, looks like I will hang on to it then and try it out. Bos your old 8 rib don't count that was the belt eater set up wasn't it j/k
My quest for 15psi continues.....almost there.....
J
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are junk Imo. But see how it works for you. I use Gates Green Stripes and are mucho better than a polywad on my combo.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:46 PM
8 Second Club

thats strange sjh, i used every kind of belt on my kit, and the gates green stripe sucked the most, i had one snap on me one wot after i installed the belt.
i had my best results with the dayco polycog belt.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I remember Dayco belts being good. Anyways I am using them on my SC
Old 06-26-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had the best results with Goodyear Gatorbacks....... Jer reply to my PM i sent ya yesterday...Ill be back on in a few hr's
Kyle
Old 06-26-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, I saw the best results with the gatorback myself, but the fools at autozone didn't want to special order the 4080525 Gatorback so I ordered the polycog online from checker. I tried to do the same with the autozone website but it didn't recognize the PN I got ahold of the regional rep for goodyear and he told me to contact him next time and he'll straighten the lil **** at autozone out and get me the belt ordered asap lol.

We installed the polycog today and the Nordskog digital boost gauge, these digital boost gauges look cool but man they are lazy to respond to the car making boost. I am frustrated with them already The cyberdyne did the samething. You can feel the boost come on and the car starts hauling ***, but the gauge doesn't read anything lol.

The polycog 5080525 was just a tad smaller than the NAPA belt, and we were able to get the spring tensioner to around 17-18. I hope this belt doesn't slip....it felt good on the highway but we will save the WOT action for the track. The NAPA belt was slipping, we had dust around the front of the s/c, all the standoffs and the front of the bracket. I am sure if I cranked on the the spring tensioner past 15 with the NAPA belt it wouldn't have slipped anymore. The dust was nowhere near the amount I used to see with the ol ATI set up.

OH YEAH, THE LM-1 wideband rules. My car is PIG RICH like a **** Barely getting into the throttle, like around 2500rpm the car goes to 12.1-10.1 quickly. Anything more throttle than that and it will go to 9.6-1 On decel it is the oppostite, goes LEAN like a **** 16.1-1+. I guess that's why the car feels like it wants to stall out when coming to a stop. I am thinking of hooking up the RPM reader to the PCM tach wire since my MSD window switch is already hooked up to it, it should work....or will it???

Kyle PM'ing you now buddy.
J
Old 06-27-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I haven't really heard of these belts until now, but know that checkers, parts America group carries them. I special ordered one off their website and just got it today. It looks like a gatorback, but all the "treads" are cut straight across not staggered like the Gatorback. Has anyone ever used them for a s/c belt? If so, did they work or suck? I now have a handle on the 52.5 gatorback but will not get it until I try this one out.
I haven't had much luck with gatorbacks, the cuts reduce surface contact area and increases slippage. I also tried Dayco, but the Dayco stretches. The best I've found so far is the Drive-Rite (also made by Dayco), but it doesn't stretch for some reason. BTW - This was on a 6-rib P1SC setup with a 3" Reichard pulley. I've since gone D1SC with 3.5" self slotted pulley.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats strange sjh, i used every kind of belt on my kit, and the gates green stripe sucked the most, i had one snap on me one wot after i installed the belt.
i had my best results with the dayco polycog belt.
You have or had an ATI right? Were you running an 8 rib? As I don't think they even make Green Stripes in 6 rib.
I am running a 2.5" blower pulley with 8" crank. WAY smaller than any of the ATI guys. This really tests the belts out.
Even after the Gates belt got totally soaked in oil from a mishap, I still see very little slip.
I have been using the same belt for a year now with impeller speeds near 70,000rpm.
I have a Dayco polycog sitting on my shelf. Just comparing it vs the gates shows the Gates to be WAY softer and stickier. The polycog is a very hard compound. It's made for long life but not for extreme pulley traction IMO.

I also have a Regular Dayco sitting here. It feels just as hard and still does not work as good as the Gates but it is better than the polycog.

Also when I used to run short belts, the Dayco polycog was the only belt that I had problems with jumping off the tensioner all the time.

Just my .02
I have not tried a Goodyear gatorback.
But maybe I'll try one just to compare.
Steve
Old 06-27-2004, 01:17 PM
8 Second Club

sjh, was it you that had a vortech kit or am i thinking of some one else?
( edit, i just read your sig, so please ignore that question)

i guess if you are running the vortech kit it makes sence, since on the ati kit you have to crank the belt way tighter than factory tensioner will ever see so a harder compound might hel p then i guess.

( and please refrain from mentioning the incident when you soaked the belt in oil and it still worked, some here get really green with envy )
Old 06-27-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess if you are running the vortech kit it makes sence, since on the ati kit you have to crank the belt way tighter than factory tensioner will ever see so a harder compound might hel p then i guess.
yeah I thought about that. It's possible the dayco belts are stronger and is why it worked well for your combo with a lot of belt tension.
ahh yes my oil soaking incident . It won't happen again. I replaced the cheap Vortech feed line with steel braided and moved it away from between the belts.
I think my homemade slotted and drilled pulley helped clear the oil from the belt to keep it from slipping badly.
Here's a pic of how much belt wrap my vortech has even with the 2.5" pulley-
Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
8 Second Club

coool! do you have any idea where i could get a tensioner like that?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that's the tensioner that Vortech provides in their ls1 kits. It's a nice unit.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:59 AM
8 Second Club

think i could order it seperate from them?and if it is no trouble to you , do you know if it has a part number ?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
special order the 4080525 Gatorback

OH YEAH, THE LM-1 wideband rules. My car is PIG RICH like a **** Barely getting into the throttle, like around 2500rpm the car goes to 12.1-10.1 quickly. Anything more throttle than that and it will go to 9.6-1 On decel it is the oppostite, goes LEAN like a **** 16.1-1+.
:

Jer how much is that Goodyear belt?? Thats for the 3.4" blower pulley right? gates doesnt make a belt that same size as the Goodyear? Because i can get the Gates 8 rib belts for $23 from my buddy who works at Orielys.
I am wanting to buy one of those LM-1 Widebands... was it easy to install and were to you have it mounted in the car? Pic's? How accurate are they compared to the ones we use on the Dyno?? Thanks
Kyle
Old 06-28-2004, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

nasty, may i recomend the dynojet wide band commander, does a whole lot more than the LM unit.

Quick Reply: Dayco Polycog belts, any good for a s/c belt???