Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0 keeps breaking ringlands

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It will use the last line of the table. If you want more control you need to scale your entire tune 50% or so.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dburt86
get it on speed density!!!
im running 3bar sd....
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
It will use the last line of the table. If you want more control you need to scale your entire tune 50% or so.

interesting idea. do you do this or are you on MS3?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
interesting idea. do you do this or are you on MS3?
I'm on the stock ecu, I haven't scaled my current tune but I really should. With big injectors and e85 it maxes out of he spark table really quickly. I've read quite a bit about it on hptuners forums though to give you much more control over your spark in boost regions.

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...ling-Procedure
Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The way I see it, the only thing retarded timing causes is a high EGT.

step 1: install EGT gauge
step 2: reduce timing
step 3: verify EGT

loop: until EGT gets too high, find that spot where it climbs rapidly. Advance slightly from there, and you have the safest spot you can possible find. It can still explode violently if the temp of combustion gets too high so, just because A/F is good, timing is low, doesn't make it safe. Thus we continue to watch the EGT for a problem, it is perhaps the most useful data we can collect near the cylinder.

Sometimes EGT climbs too high even with "safe" timing, in those instances the joules/second output of the engine is 'too high' for the temperature dissipation components of the engine. Typically this happens in FI applications (since with FI there is no theoretical limit to boost, some run 7psi some run 40psi) and the best option to cool the EGT becomes water/meth injection (or a better fuel)
Old 10-17-2023, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default I’m Bringing this thread back to life….

Since there is alot of threads that lack very much depth in them and never come back to find real answers…

to the OP, did you ever end up getting this sorted out?

one thing I noticed that was NEVER mentioned or asked was about the setup. I’ve been tuning LS engines for almost 20 years now. I have yet to ever have an issue like this until recently. I’m still no self-proclaimed professional by any means. But I do more than well enough for myself and get calls on the weekly for doing tunes on a 100% referral basis, and never advertised my services since I started. But when something like this goes arai, Its time to dig a bit deeper than just making the excuse for bad tune. From what I can see, the tune doesn’t appear to be enough wrong with it to keep popping pistons. At least at only 10psi. Over the years, if there is one thing that I’ve learned about tuning; its that its the easiest excuse for anyone else to come up with to earn a customer’s business. Heck, They usually don’t even have to get their hands dirty. (No pum intended for all you internet mechanics. Im sure you keep a plastic cover over your keyboards). But to keep a long-short, this is why you see many builds sit in shop after shop after shop until the owner finally throws in the towel with it.

as far as the OP goes, I personally believe that the issue might be more related to the setup. Obviously You can never discard the tune being the culprit(or even partially), but since nobody even mentioned the setup, I’ll just ho out on a limb here, and assume that The PCV is not properly vented enough. This is my assumption basedon the comment that was mentioned about the VC seals blowing out. This is an automatic red flag 🚩, but none of you seemingly experienced tuners caught that, we’ll give you a free pass.🙄

Next is the backpressure from the setup. Thid sounds like a pretty straightforward typical turbo LS setup. But who makes the kit? Have you checked the backpressure on the hot side? Both of these two common issues would bring hell to any tuner. No matter how experienced.

hopefully this thread sheds some light or opens up the door to some other possibilities enough to save a few motors from popping ringlands in the future.

Last edited by chris99gmc; 10-17-2023 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
forcd ind (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 05:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 242 Likes on 169 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I know, old post, but first time I saw it, but didn't read it all. I thought it blew out the gaskets after piston damage, but I think you are correct on the back pressure.
I had a similar problem a few years ago, decent tune, but damage. Repaired, damage again. Changed turbo, no more problems. It was a T4, don't remember all
the specs, but it was a 4" downpipe, obs. something internal on the turbo wasn't efficient????

Quick Reply: 6.0 keeps breaking ringlands