Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The Chupacabra. Quad Turbo Vette Kart.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I pick up my transmission tonight.

The goal for this weekend is to get the trans in, side pipes on, tablet dash mounted, intercooler piping merges welded, lights and signals all on, seat belts in, bumpers made and welded on, registered and tagged.

Then? Shenanigans.
You had me at Quad turbo Corvette, you really won me over when you mentioned sidepipes!!! Very cool build.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Put the trans back in. Still doesn't work. Car won't move unless I rev the hell out of it. I'm pretty close to switching trans builders to myself.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:27 PM
Restricted User

It made boost on the antilag yesterday. Noisy thing this one.

I also picked up a 100% bone stock TH400 to run behind the 100% stock 4.8 for the time being. It is driving now.....
Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We NEED videos or it's not true! Haha

Stunning work.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Restricted User

I'm going to toss the bumpers on today, hang the tag from it, and go for a cruise.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Sweet! Need some nice profile shots from all angles of that beast. This project has me looking for junker corvettes!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Put the trans back in. Still doesn't work. Car won't move unless I rev the hell out of it. I'm pretty close to switching trans builders to myself.
With everything I've seen you post it should be no problem for you. I had my 4L80 done by someone else and I had to pull it back out and rebuild it myself.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

maybe front pump in trans? check dipstick level before starting and see if it drops about an inch. if so pumps working.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
maybe front pump in trans? check dipstick level before starting and see if it drops about an inch. if so pumps working.
Both times I tried the trans, I overfilled it to the point where it was coming out of dipstick hole. I also filled the converter extra just to make sure.

Both times, it sucked the converter bone dry but didn't pick up anything from the pan.

The stock TH400 will work for now. I'm going to use a spare manual boost controller for the vacuum modulator and I should be destroying tires today.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Is that thing gonna be a cop magnet?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Is that thing gonna be a cop magnet?
Not lady cops. Not in my area anyway. LOL

Joe, I'm curious if the additional exhaust routing has changed the exhaust note at all

Last edited by SethU; 06-01-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:52 PM
8 Second Club

I'm a little worried I'd get something similar all complete and then get some sort of un-roadworthy ticket and not be able to drive it on the street.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I'm a little worried I'd get something similar all complete and then get some sort of un-roadworthy ticket and not be able to drive it on the street.
A day in court would either nullify an officers "opinion" or indicate changes that need to be addressed.

From what I see, the only things that would make it a no-go in California are emissions related. Seems to have all the other minimums covered.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I'd throw a few air filters on that thing too BTW. On the street? 100%. I'm always amazed at how comfortable some people are running with no filter. What is one of those little rocks that crack your windshield gonna do to a turbo?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Would be a dick move on their part.
This town is flooded with old rat rods. Tons of car shows all over town all of the time. There are 2 cars & coffee shows within 5 minutes of my house every saturday. SCCA does autocross right down the road from me. The local park has major car shows all summer and is the local spot for a rat rod meet every couple of weeks.

From what I can tell, I need bumpers, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, backup lights, seat belts, windshield, wipers, rear-view mirror, tread on the tires, and thats about it for Ohio. My Nova doesn't even have working turn signals, backup lights, or windshield wipers right now, so technically the corvette is more road legal.

No doors and top is common on Jeeps. Open wheels and no hood is pretty much the local rat rod scene. I should be fine.

Highway Patrol might try to pull me over at some point, but local I'll be fine.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SethU
Not lady cops. Not in my area anyway. LOL

Joe, I'm curious if the additional exhaust routing has changed the exhaust note at all
Yes, I was extremely careful on exhaust length.
So careful in-fact, that the length of the downpipe before the merge with the other turbo is inversely proportional to the length of the primaries going to that turbo. For example, the long downpipe on the front driver's side turbo. Its 4 times longer than the downpipe on the turbo that it merges with. The header primaries going to that turbo are also 4x shorter.

The cylinder that fires first out of the 2 on each turbo has a primary that is 50% longer than the 2nd one.

The exhaust note is very strange, especially since I unevenly paired the cylinders. So I used 1 and 3 on a turbo, and 5 and 7 on another. Most people will say you need to merge 1 and 5, and 3 and 7.

So I ended up with a very unique exhaust note and a bone stock 4.8 that free revs faster than the 12:1 solid roller 4.8 I tuned a few weeks ago.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Restricted User

After a few miles, I've noticed a few things.

The car handles extremely well. Almost alarmingly. Even with very old very very dry-rotted tires, I can carve corners like nobody's business. The downside? The ride is extremely harsh. The front isn't so bad, since I've added most of the weight back on. The rear? Might as well be solid. I have to rethink my battery hold-down.

The rear brakes don't work. Broken brake line. Even with 20+ year old front brakes, it stops fine. The benefits of not weighing anything I guess.

I have a leak at the drain fitting in the pan on the driver's side. I welded the aluminum from the inside but apparently there is a small hole. Would probably take a week to lose a quart. I don't want to remove the pan, and I don't want to risk fire by draining the pan and hitting it with a weld on the outside, so I will likely JB weld the fitting on the outside.

Using a manual boost controller for the TH400 seems to be working OK, but I haven't made much boost yet because it just does donuts when I tap the throttle.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:28 AM
8 Second Club

Sweet, best of luck with it. Get some tires on that sucker!

If you drain the oil and spray some brake clean around the leak with a shop vac on the fill tube it cleans up in the crack/hole really well. I think that “RIGHT STUFF” gasket maker stuff works even better than JB weld in that application. But I’ve used JB weld without issue too. The vac sucks it up into the crack somewhat and works really well.

U might have even been the one to tell me to do this long ago... i'm getting old, I don't remember.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

I'll bet, just getting to drive it was a good feeling. Congrats.

I forget how the rear suspension is set up on those. What's the spring situation back there? Got any thoughts on softening it up a bit?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Restricted User

Transverse leafs for springs in front and back. Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners.
Unfortunately most of the aftermarket springs are actually more stiff, not softer.
Coilover conversion is a possibility, but I've been tinkering with the idea of throwing a complete Gen 5 Camaro IRS rear back there and don't want to start spending money just yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Chupacabra. Quad Turbo Vette Kart.