Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1972 SWB Chevy, LY6 S480 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 SWB Chevy, LY6 S480 build

I've had this truck since I was 16 (2006) and originally built a 468 BBC with my dad for it and it ran well for many years and never quit! About 2 years ago I started gathering parts and dissecting the old ride, haven't been able to work on it a lot because its in my dad's garage and naturally I work more than when I was 16 haha.

ANYWAY, down to business: Started off sand blasting the engine bay

It needed it, the old engine mixed with a few years of a bad steering box had the engine bay looking pretty nasty

Next I decided, after dealing with all those years of literally no traction with an affordable lowering kit, to go with the adjustable ride tech kit out back. Also came to the conclusion the stock trailing arms might disintegrate with the new setup.

I wouldn't call the kit "bolt in" but its still a nice piece

Engine so far....
Stock bottom end Ly6 with deleted VVT, ARP rod bolts, Pac 1218 Springs, Comp trunion upgrade, China head studs, Tick stage 2 turbo cam (227/235 | .624”/.610” | LSA115+5), CTS-V accessory drive, Holley Hi-Ram intake, 120lb Holley injectors (overkill), and c6 exhaust manifolds.

Last edited by jonesmak72; 06-08-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: pics
Old 06-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Fuel set up is Dual Aeromotive Phantom walbro 340 system, 2 -8an lines to 1 -10an then back to 2 -8an at the rail. To a regulator out the front and then a -6an return line to the back. FYI for anyone considering it, the phantom kit foam baffle isn't quite tall enough for the tank, by like a half inch, but the fuel line to the pumps is stiff enough that I don't think it will fall over.

Also, was planning to use one flipped c6 manifold and one the correct way to take the turbo pipes behind the engine but the c6 mounted normally hits the engine mount. Attempted clearancing of the mount got me to where I could bolt the manifold on, but I'm pretty sure its still going to touch when the engine is running. Have a driver side ls3 Camaro manifold on the way to see if it will work.

Last edited by jonesmak72; 06-08-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: pics
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice project. I'm about to start a build on my Papa's 1962 C10, so I'll be watching this one.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I've got a 69 that I turboed a 5.3 with a s366 and it's a lot of fun! BTW, a TBSS manifold fits really well on the driver's side and are cheap, $90 new from amazon or ebay.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Cool project, I have a 70 short bed/stepside I am building-after sand blasting it was more of a rust bucket than I expected, lol
Had to replace the roof skin, rockers, corners, braces underneath, still working on the doors. I mocked it up with a 5.3 and truck front acces. drive, 4L80E.
Was planning on a Procharger with the 8 rib kit, but since I sold my turbo Buick, may do a turbo again-will see where the money goes, lol.
Interested in the rear setup, how do you like it, and who's engine mounts did you end up with-I modified the orginals, not sure I will use them.
Keep pics coming
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's cool that you kept her, and even cooler that you're updating her. Nice build!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for all the comments guys and good to see some fellow c10 guys in here. My truck was a rust bucket when I first got it too, and honestly for the most part still is to a lot of people, but I kind of like it that way!

Thanks for the suggestion on the tbss manifold, I think maybe these 2010+ Camaro manifolds are close to the same shape?

Either way it fit nicely and only set me back $90 plus shipping. It wasn't suppose to include the heat shield for the price but it did so hey what the heck I figure I'll leave it. Kind of gives it a crate engine look.

Going to work on the hot side this Sunday for Father's Day and will post up some pics.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Cool project, I have a 70 short bed/stepside I am building-after sand blasting it was more of a rust bucket than I expected, lol
Had to replace the roof skin, rockers, corners, braces underneath, still working on the doors. I mocked it up with a 5.3 and truck front acces. drive, 4L80E.
Was planning on a Procharger with the 8 rib kit, but since I sold my turbo Buick, may do a turbo again-will see where the money goes, lol.
Interested in the rear setup, how do you like it, and who's engine mounts did you end up with-I modified the orginals, not sure I will use them.
Keep pics coming
It's not going to be a "rear turbo" set up, I am just running the hot side pipes underneath and behind to get to the passenger side, as opposed to across the front. These are the CPP Perches, I love them, they are way less bulky than the stock ones. Everyone told me that the truck pan would hang below the crossmember but it doesn't so I'm thinking that might be because these perches sit a bit higher.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I meant the rear suspension setup, lol, not butt turbo-but that does give me an idea.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like this is going to shape up to be a beast of a ride... love these trucks
Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I meant the rear suspension setup, lol, not butt turbo-but that does give me an idea.
LOL my bad, yeah it looks like a really nice set up, and from what I can tell just from pushing down on the Frame it seems to squat a lot more already and has fixed my pinion angle.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Teching In

So just to preface this, I can't weld (never learned, need to), and my dad isn't pro so the welds aren't great but we got everything mocked up and plan to tack the rest of it together and then have someone else weld it up solid.

I have tried to read and see if there is a problem with the way this is ran, beside the whole equal length thing, but couldn't find a straight answer. I assume there isn't a problem with that short of a run close to the turbo because iv'e seen TT guys just doing 90 degree elbows straight off the headers.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It will be fine like that. Looking good so far.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really cool build!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Update from a couple weekend workdays:

Got the crossover pipe tacked up to the rest of the hot side so it is good to remove and weld up now.

Funds were running low as tends to happen, so we fabbed up some brackets for the coils, and ran the cut-to-length plug wires.

Basically consisted of Aluminum strap, 1/4" All-thread, 1/4" washers, and 3/8 x 1 1/2" spacers.

Does anyone know if I will have arc/misfire issues with the way I bundled the wires using rubber hose clamps? I always see them equally spaced in a bracket so I will look into that if it's going to be a problem.

Last edited by jonesmak72; 07-17-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: picture of wires
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As long as the clamps aren't squeezing the wires together then they should be fine.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Weekend progress.

mounted up the ECU, liked this location better than up high on the floor under the dash.

Also mounted the the drop down battery box, and routed the direct wires from ECU to battery

Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Really like your build, looks very smart. Hot side is great, glad you found another factory mani to work.

As far as the welding...... I am no authority but, you just gotta start to
Trying to put peices together. It's the most rewarding thing to not have to wait on someone else to do it for you, plus, you don't have to grind as much!

Which I seem to still be doing it of...........
Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slocaddy
Really like your build, looks very smart. Hot side is great, glad you found another factory mani to work.

As far as the welding...... I am no authority but, you just gotta start to
Trying to put peices together. It's the most rewarding thing to not have to wait on someone else to do it for you, plus, you don't have to grind as much!

Which I seem to still be doing it of...........
Thanks for checking out the build!

On the welds I honestly don't care what they look like, but am worried about pinholes or something being in the welds, I guess when I grind them down I will know
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesmak72
Thanks for checking out the build!

On the welds I honestly don't care what they look like, but am worried about pinholes or something being in the welds, I guess when I grind them down I will know
Disclaimer: I am In no way stating a "pretty weld" is a "strong weld "....

But one of the things I've learned is "good looking welds" tend to be "good welds"..... now what I'm saying is directly related to the "pinhole" coment you made, very true. When the welds are not "uniform " look like a stacked up "pile of $hit".....(as most of mine have till recently).....
Your right, leaves one very frustrated lol

Can't wait till your doing burn outs in this thing!

Quick Reply: 1972 SWB Chevy, LY6 S480 build