LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Some passes after multiple changes finally (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1877761-some-passes-after-multiple-changes-finally.html)

RonSSNova 08-13-2017 01:15 AM

Some passes after multiple changes finally

Got out for some passes tonight after making quite a few updates to the car.
I spend a lot of time tuning others cars, namely "The Wagon" I tune, I never get time to run my own car.
Lastly, being an old fart, 90 degrees and the car stays home.....

Changes this year:
Added a second fuel pump
Changed gears from 3.42 to 3.31 (3.42 were howling, the 3.31 are real GM and were free)
New much larger intercooler.
Replaced ID1000's with ID1300's
Finally installed my EBoost2 controller.
Added a shift light positioned "in my FACE"

Three goals tonight.
1. figure out what duty cycle equaled what boost on the EBoost2.
2. See what my air fuel was after the injector change
3. See if my front shock adjustment would help withhook

First pass, Controller set to 40%, blew the tires off 1st and 2nd gear. Left at 7 psi. Was surprised that at only 40% dc on the controller that it made 17 psi.

Second pass reset the controller to 30%. Made 15 psi. Dead hooked, 1.11 60ft (yeah right, but that's what the ticket said) 5.95@110, 10.0@135 which means it had a decent 60, prob 1.40 or so. Short shifted as usual cause I'm a spaz, 5500 and 6800, never waited for the shift light. Turned the 2 step down to 2900 where it makes 5 psi.

Third pass turned the controller up to 43%. Same launch psi, blew the tires off when it hit boost. Short shifted at 5500. Ran 9.82 @ 141. Skating around on the big end! 1/8 mile fell of to 6.34 but at 114. Boost was 17.5.

Then it rained.

So, you guys who bitch about a shitty track? Come to Portland International Raceway. We get no prep every weekend.

Reviewing the logs, I was 5-10% rich on fuel. So near 10:1 in areas.
With these 3.31 gears I'm at 6100 rpm at 141 mph. Really needs 3.55's, but I've spent enough money. And these are staying quiet. So just need to add boost.

IAT's dropped from 170 to 110. That's a win, although it didn't seem to add power......yet.

As I said to Jamie, AKA 3Window, it's hard to hit a home run on these outings. I'm considering this a success. Everything worked.

Lastly, I've added the ability to reduce boost in low gear, just didn't set it up yet. Trying to keep the data collection simple.

Ron

3 window 08-13-2017 04:44 AM

Eight mile mph of 114 shows promise. That's gotta be close to or a little under what you ran last year, right? Are you on radials or slicks? I too have an issue of short shifting, Lol. As soon as I do, I literally yell out loud, DAMN IT! Turbo Novas FTW!

yenkomike 08-13-2017 06:17 AM

those 3.31s might not be optimal for the combo but they might help at that track. sometimes you need to sacrifice a track day just to get some tuning in.

I am also a short shifter but it really don't slow my car much if I shift 5500 it knocks off about 1/2 a tenth

I'm down to a 3.23 with a 29.5 slick and 1.76 glide trying to hook at my local back in time no prep track.i don't know if it will work but I'm hoping the slicks will let me go better in the 60'.

forcd ind 08-13-2017 06:24 AM

I was wondering if you had gotten back out, good to hear the IC'er dropped the IAT's.

truckdoug 08-13-2017 06:54 AM

i'll post up some video when my buddy sends it today. i think we got your last pass.

wow the racket that jeep made when it died. i could hear it over my burnout!

i was bummed on the rain, but damn do we need it!

Bad Apache 08-13-2017 07:24 AM

Seems like a great first outing Ron! Given all those changes, poor track conditions and driver error, lol. I can laugh with you. Done plenty of dumb things at the track. And many more on the street. Hope you can get on a good track surface to dial it in soon.

RonSSNova 08-13-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by truckdoug (Post 19700273)
i'll post up some video when my buddy sends it today. i think we got your last pass.

wow the racket that jeep made when it died. i could hear it over my burnout!

i was bummed on the rain, but damn do we need it!

I tuned that Jeep. Prob 1200 to the wheels. 426 at 26-28psi.
They have an experimental trans brake in it, and the trans went boom.

RonSSNova 08-13-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 3 window (Post 19700263)
Eight mile mph of 114 shows promise. That's gotta be close to or a little under what you ran last year, right? Are you on radials or slicks? I too have an issue of short shifting, Lol. As soon as I do, I literally yell out loud, DAMN IT! Turbo Novas FTW!

114 with a short shift and throttle lift.
I've discovered with this car that no spin, no lifts and hitting the shift points ups the mph every time.

Trying to make runs like that at my track is pretty much a waste of time.

That said, I got some good data and can tune from here.

truckdoug 08-13-2017 10:53 PM

^yeah its a skating rink

ron here's some video of last night. my buddy only got one of your passes. (also I never realized you cant really see down track for shit from the "prepped area"

Forcefed86 08-14-2017 07:44 AM

Getting it out and not breaking is always a win in my book! Congrats! Sounds like that new IC is a worker! Think the rumor is for every 10* off charge temp you should see a 1% power increase or so at the crank? What I always heard anyway…

Get that progressive boost going and I bet it’s a whole new animal! Is there any way to drop timing down the first 100ft or so on you ECU?

The no-prep deal has blown up in the Midwest. Gotta say I don’t get it. Seems like twice the wrecks and 10x the risk. But I guess that’s what the people want to see. Been to several 1/8th mile tracks now setup at unprep'd rundown asphalt airports. Individual I spoke with went 4.9x at our local perp’d track. He said depending on the track conditions, he would have 120-300lbs of ballast in the back! He also wasn’t “all in” boost and timing wise until the last 200-300ft. But he was making it work on that crappy old runway! Pretty impressive to watch. Defiantly an art to it though… keep at it!

AnotherWs6 08-14-2017 07:52 AM

That track certainly looks nice. I'd hate to be in a high powered car that goes airborne with that walkway running over it though.

Why would anyone WANT a no prep track?

truckdoug 08-14-2017 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 19700922)
That track certainly looks nice. I'd hate to be in a high powered car that goes airborne with that walkway running over it though.

Why would anyone WANT a no prep track?

in this case, I don't think anyone wants it. It just also happens to be the front straight for the road course. Perhaps uniquely, its the only city owned park that generates revenue...only a percentage of which returns to the raceway :(

Nathaninwa 08-14-2017 12:17 PM

You going back to Portland this coming weekend 8-19? I'll be there

RonSSNova 08-14-2017 04:34 PM

I think I'll be there. Might as well test some more.

Ratical 08-14-2017 05:40 PM

Great to hear you are making progress Ron! It will only get faster the more you practice and work on it. I just added an electric shift solenoid. Works wonders for curing the short shift. Lol.

truckdoug 08-14-2017 07:38 PM

ron i was thinking about your boost by gear microswitches today,

i wonder if it's possible to do something similar with an HP tuners pro output?

RonSSNova 08-15-2017 08:45 PM

Thanks guys.
It ran 9 teens with ease on a real dragstrip. I just didn't have the fuel flow to turn it up.
I do now.

I'm running the stock ecu, so not a lot of wiggle room to remove timing in the first 100 feet. Off the two step full boost hits in .6 second and it's right at 5500 rpm.

I'd like to think lower inlet air temp increases power. It does NA, but unsure about turbocharged. I can point to my buddies injected 540 with no IC going 180+ in the 1/4 and I bet IAT isn't even measured.
I just feel better about the temp being low.

10 years ago at this track, I drug the license plate leaving on a 150 shot with my 496 rat. The track has gone down hill ever since. It's all about politics (neighbors bitch about the noise) and budget. I guarantee the two are related.

slowlsx 08-16-2017 03:04 AM

What is ur injector duty cycle and what base pressure?

I have FID1300's with I think 50psi base pressure and I'm already at 94% going 113 but I weigh 3900 with me so I'm around 780whp

RonSSNova 08-16-2017 07:42 AM

I'm at 50 base, and saw 97% at the shift.
measured fuel pressure was 66psi, so it's not rising 1:1. Boost was 18.
i was also 10:1 AFR there, so leaning that will lower the idc as well

93camaro_zzz 08-16-2017 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RonSSNova (Post 19702769)
I'm at 50 base, and saw 97% at the shift.
measured fuel pressure was 66psi, so it's not rising 1:1. Boost was 18.
i was also 10:1 AFR there, so leaning that will lower the idc as well

Man, the NEW injectors are already at 97%? That's unfortunate. Hopefully that scaled back quite a bit with the AFR change. Glad you got out with it Ron. I'm sure it was a fun time. Mine will actually be headed back out for the first time in 18 months in the next 2 weeks. First have to do some tuning, and schedule a dyno appt.