Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

is there any gain in headers vs manifolds in the 600-700hp range

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the hp range I am shooting for and built my hotside with truck manifolds and 2 1/4" pipe to t4 flange.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I used the 1 5/8 jba Shorty's on my TA and had them powder coated. No wrap and plug access was a breeze. No issues with cracking or warping after something like 8 years of regular street use and tracking it.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of people here are missing the point of what OP was trying to figure out.

Is there power to be made in the 6-700hp range by using headers over manifolds? Of course. Headers flow better than manifolds. Which is why on every NA build it's one of the first real mods.

Headers aren't a necessity. Plenty of people run manifolds with great success. On a forced induction car you can always make up for short comings or parts that aren't optimal by forcing more air down its throat. However logic says that better flowing exhaust is lesss restrictive and more efficient which will make more power.95% of guys that go turbo will never get to a point where they can't make more power because the manifolds are maxed. There however probably are a handful of guys that would see noticeable power gains by going to a header set up. Personally I have a set of stainless works headers. They have big primaries and a 3" collector. Now that is a massive collector that is too large. That pic is of my old merge pipe. My new merge pipe has a similar design however in the piping on each side as it turns down and merges it goes from 3-2 3/4- 2 1/2- 2/14-2. Which is a great size for a T4 turbo. Those gradual steps keep turbulence low and really speeds up the velocity. While still capitalizing on the very high power making stainless works headers.

Quick Reply: is there any gain in headers vs manifolds in the 600-700hp range