LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Nova going in under the knife (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1882541-nova-going-under-knife.html)

forcd ind 10-09-2017 09:31 AM

Nova going in under the knife

2 Attachment(s)
Since no one has ever done an LS/Nova build, thought I would, lol
OK, its 2017, back to reality.
I have a 74 big bumper nova, 6 banger with turbo 350, orig 38K car, never touched (a shame, isn't it)
I have been collecting stuff, plus have left overs from other builds.
Orig I was doing a gen 3 5.3, gen 4 rods and flat tops, 241 heads, somebody's stage 2 cam, LS 6 intake, log manifold, VS 83/75 billet.
Narrowed 9" rear for better wheel selection, Moser axles, using the 9"
11" x 2 1/4" rear brakes, drums redrilled. Procharger 850 HP intercooler, Ebay score. Trans is 4L80E, Holley pan, mount kit, and Holley HP.
Prob do a bumper tuck, but part of me wants to leave it, lol
I have all the parts, was going to take the engine to the mach. shop, get it rebalanced for the gen 4 rods/pistons, new cam bearings, etc.
While the 5.3 would have plenty of go, I was just offered the top end off an LS 3-I had used LS 3 heads, intake on a 6.0 past build, now I am thinking I should hunt down a 6.0, lol-before this even really gets started I am changing direction, so i'll see where that goes-anyway, i'll try and post up as it evolves-money wise says stay 5.3, but who doesn't like a 6.0 with big port heads, lol

RonSSNova 10-09-2017 10:05 AM

I like it. Will be fun to follow along.
Ron

3 window 10-09-2017 10:20 AM

You’re a daredevil going for such a rare transplant! One vote for the bumper tuck. Check out Nate Stanton’s Nova for motivation. Sub’d for this one.

rkupon1 10-10-2017 02:23 PM

Copy cat....ehh, who am i kiddung, yours prolly be done up n running before mine!

forcd ind 10-10-2017 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Waiting on some parts, so I mocked up the turbo on the engine, but cant do much until I drop the engine in-this time I will make sure I can get to all the plugs, lol
Also detailed my rear brakes, not sure why, bored I guess

3 window 10-10-2017 07:32 PM

I like the carb on the floor behind the two wheel dolly! EFI FTW!!!

forcd ind 10-11-2017 06:39 AM

Ya, that came off my 85 El Camino in favor of a Holley Sniper

slocaddy 10-11-2017 10:28 AM

Turbo is a monster! What will going In for exhaust?

forcd ind 10-11-2017 10:34 AM

I'll be using 4", hopefully like the Buick I can snake it to the rear, prob could get away with 3.5", I'll just see how much room-I like quit, until its time not to be quit, lol

Bad Apache 10-11-2017 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by slocaddy (Post 19744142)
Turbo is a monster! What will going In for exhaust?

That turbo is to offset the weight of the driver. lol

Build looks good. Had a '73 Ventura. Great platform to work with. Parts availability is great.

3 window 10-11-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by forcd ind (Post 19744147)
I'll be using 4", hopefully like the Buick I can snake it to the rear, prob could get away with 3.5", I'll just see how much room-I like quit, until its time not to be quit, lol

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...b1bbe0bd4.jpegThat’s 4”
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...7dfbaaf97.jpegHooker MaxFlow
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...eb957f0be.jpeg
It’s not on the spring. That’s just the pic. It’s a little tight back there, but it works.

yenkomike 10-11-2017 02:54 PM

damn that looks exactly like mine but I don't run a muffler. even 2 piece in the same spot. lol.

forcd ind 10-12-2017 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I would lay out the mounts for the engine and 80E trans, was kind of confusing at first until I realized I had the X mem. upside down, lol-the bottom of the X mem. sits aprx 3" from the lower bolts on the trans rear housing, part of the mounting system bolts there. 74 is a little diff than 68-72, so the engine mounts will prob need diff holes, but the trans mount should help locate them-I was going to make my own mounts, but there was $$ in the budget for these.
Also found the truck acces. dr. wont work with an LS 6 intake, should have remembered that from other peoples projects-couple options, but I may just go to a vette access. dr-that wasn't in the budget, lol

MelloYello 10-13-2017 04:39 AM

Good luck with your build!
Turbo Novas are pretty cool, but I may be a little bias.

Suncc49 10-13-2017 10:39 AM

Following... nice Nova... gonna keep the sleeper theme?

ls72nova 10-13-2017 07:03 PM

What size tire is that in the picture?

forcd ind 10-14-2017 06:22 AM

Not sure on the paint yet, would need to be taken down to bare metal since small sections of surface rust-will see how bad the winter is, temp wise where I am at-need to replace my fuel oil tank, but it is half full, afraid to move it yet until its empty.
Decided to label the engine mount parts so I would know how they go when I drop the motor in. I bought all the parts listed for them, including the poly
inserts-not sure when they designed these if they tried the poly inserts, but they are not close to matching the holes in the engine side mounts. Only one way they can go, close to 3/16+ off-the logical part of my brain said get a stock clamshell mount and test the fit, the hot rod side said clearance them to fit since you have them, so I did. So now I have to wonder, did I maintain the same angle bet the engine and cross member, lol-these clamshell type mounts have to have the correct angle because they have tabs that rest on the engine bracket, prob not a good swap mount. I'll work that out.

3 window 10-14-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ls72nova (Post 19746018)
What size tire is that in the picture?

My Nova is a 275/60r15

forcd ind 10-29-2017 03:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Getting back on the nova, pulled the six banger, installed the 5.3 for a trial fit. I used the Holley mounting system, to lazy to fab up a set, lol
Anyway, they fit good, plenty of room for the 80E. I mounted up the turbo on the log manifold, it close to the control arm, might have to trim the arm or cut and tweak the manifold. The truck manifold hits the steering box, so i'll cut a window in my spare manifold, see how it fits-shouldn't be a big deal to make room. Looks like plenty of room for a 4" down pipe. Got a good surprise my sub frame had the extra holes that were used on 68-72 Novas, so my frame adapters fit w/o having to drill all new holes. The trans mount was a little confusing until I figured out how they went. Some of the bolts that came with it were to short, but hardware stuff. Next i'll install the new rear, set the drive line angle, and side to side meas, weld up the perches.

forcd ind 11-06-2017 06:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Spent some time setting up the 9" rear, installed the OTR multi leaf springs, adjusting the rear so it centers the wheels/tires in the wheel wells, also setting up the pinion angle. Takes some time, have to lower the car, install the tires, get the weight on the susp., look everything over, then do it all again until I am happy with it. Then weld the perches. Ordered the Jegs sub frame conns., not happy with them, prob. make my own or buy the Global West weld/bolt ones. Thought about diff traction bars, since it wont see much track time.
Might just build my own slappers. Couple of the pics show the Holley engine mounts, the two bolts are threaded thru the adapters and supposed to hang over, but it was noted that on 73-74's you have to cut off the bracket where one of the clamshell went-my 74 did have the 68-72 frame holes needed for the mounts. Also pictured was a truck manifold I cut up to see how much clearance to clear steering box-may make my own manifold.