LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Custom PD build opinions (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1887009-custom-pd-build-opinions.html)

smitty2919 12-07-2017 11:31 AM

Custom PD build opinions

If you were to build a custom setup, what are opinions on which blower to use? Whipple or Kenne Bell?

Overall build
6-8 PSI on 95 Z28 LT1
Meth to keep IAT's down
Fits under stock hood/cowl
No Intercooler or front mount heat exchanger to reduce piping/complexity.
Goal will be a simple 400-500hp. Not looking to break any records.
Aside from the bare blower (~2.1-2.9L) unit and a bypass valve, everything else will be custom.

In terms of reliability/customer service/overall blower design how do people like Whipple or Kenne Bell?

Deciding on a blower is the first major decision to base the design around and how everything will fit.

Thanks for any opinions.

jimmyg 12-07-2017 11:43 AM

Whipple hands down . But you can easily reach your goals with an lsa blower a lot cheaper .

cypris09 12-07-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 19786522)
If you were to build a custom setup, what are opinions on which blower to use? Whipple or Kenne Bell?

Overall build
6-8 PSI on 95 Z28 LT1
Meth to keep IAT's down
No Intercooler or front mount heat exchanger to reduce piping/complexity.
Goal will be a simple 400-500hp. Not looking to break any records.
Aside from the bare blower (~2.1-2.9L) unit and a bypass valve, everything else will be custom.

In terms of reliability/customer service/overall blower design how do people like Whipple or Kenne Bell?

Deciding on a blower is the first major decision to base the design around and how everything will fit.

Thanks for any opinions.

Have you checked out torque storm supercharger?
They're a bit smaller than some of the other chargers but they start at 2800$ At the amount of boost you're running I think it'll be perfect and will save a few bucks.

smitty2919 12-07-2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyg (Post 19786531)
Whipple hands down . But you can easily reach your goals with an lsa blower a lot cheaper .

Why whipple hands down? Kenne Bell's website needs some help LOL. Whipple had technical drawings available for almost every bare until they sell which has need instrumental in the design of this so far...(lots of CAD work).

Originally Posted by cypris09 (Post 19786533)
Have you checked out torque storm supercharger?
They're a bit smaller than some of the other chargers but they start at 2800$ At the amount of boost you're running I think it'll be perfect and will save a few bucks.

I'd like to keep it to a twin screw for efficiency, but I'm not totally against a roots blower like a stock GT500 M122. But it will require trimming down the back of the body since it's too tall and to cut off factory mount holes and redrill mounting holes in the body walls.

Unit needs to be rear inlet, no jackshaft setups since it won't fit. I've looked into a bare Magnuson MP122 or step into the TVA 1900/2300.

It would be nice to have the unit have a internal bypass valve, like the MP112 unit or the GT500 eaton unit.

sbcgenII 12-07-2017 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyg (Post 19786531)

Should fit great on an LT1

CyberGrey Z28 12-07-2017 03:23 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Ditch the LT if you want to go boost on a budget.

smitty2919 12-07-2017 04:44 PM

No way a LSA supercharger is fitting on a LT1 motor and under the stock hood. I have seen pictures of a LSA on a LS motor Fbody built by GM I believe. But again, that's a LS motor.

Keeping the LT1 and building a custom setup...because I can and no one else has AFAIK.

I have 90% of the build worked out in my head, and it looks like I'll keep with the Whipple route.

jimmyg 12-07-2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 19786716)
No way a LSA supercharger is fitting on a LT1 motor and under the stock hood. I have seen pictures of a LSA on a LS motor Fbody built by GM I believe. But again, that's a LS motor.

Keeping the LT1 and building a custom setup...because I can and no one else has AFAIK.

I have 90% of the build worked out in my head, and it looks like I'll keep with the Whipple route.

Sorry I didn't see the lt1 part lol but if you want to bust my balls, they do make a whipple for the gen v LT1 don't they? Lol

Jimbo1367 12-07-2017 10:19 PM

Yes they do $79xx.xx from their website. Shop around.

smitty2919 12-08-2017 10:11 AM

I wish I was able to make it to PRI this year so I could get my hands on a Whipple and speak to the guys....but that won't be happening.

CyberGrey Z28 12-08-2017 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 19786716)

There's probably a reason for that. Post up when you get it going.

smitty2919 12-08-2017 03:26 PM

I have only seen one running video of a roots from a lightning on a LT1 fbody. One documented build of a highly modified eaton M112 from a Jaguar. And the start of a whipple build but no completion pictures.

It will be a custom lower manifold, custom inlet elbow, custom fuel rails, meth kit, etc etc.

JosephIV 12-08-2017 06:51 PM

Cool idea, I hope you get a handle on it and make it reality. If you don't mind my asking; what is your mechanical / work background? Just wondering as most average people don't have the time, money, or skill to devote to putting a PD on an engine few people build in a car with the engine stuffed under the windshield. It's a tall task for sure, but would be cool for the "never been done before" factor.

smitty2919 12-08-2017 07:13 PM

Mechanical Engineering degree and good friend of mine owns a speed shop within 15min of me. So between the two of us this is very doable.

If I had even $5k to devote to this, I bet it would be on the car running within 6mo-1 year. It's no time or design skills holding me up, strictly money.

Biggest hurdle is the manifold design which I have 90% of it done. Final touches are selecting fuel injectors and rails etc. I'll need the blower in hand to finalize placement to get proper alignment of belt/blower pulley. And at $2500 price tag for the blower alone, it's a big pill to swallow. So I'll be damn sure that SPECIFIC blower unit will work before pulling the trigger.

I'm 90% sure going with a Whipple/Magnuson unit, since Keene Bell's website sucks and I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from them for some reason.

T/A KID 12-10-2017 11:29 AM

http://vid69.photobucket.com/albums/...pse5c59d53.mp4

smitty2919 12-10-2017 02:41 PM

Link doesn't work.