Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New BTR CAST INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

If it could prove to be a strong performer in the 6-8k range, that would be great. Although the losses sub 6k on the graph posted do seem quite considerable, more so that any tests of other intakes

Although how it would fare with other builds etc...who knows. One graph doesnt tell a full story...although it's the only one released, so you could assume from that it is one of the more flattering ones ! Which might raise even more concerns
Old 10-01-2018, 01:34 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
$8-900 for an intake is peanuts now?
Compared to the billet intake manifolds that are designed to cope with 30+ psi boost pressures and have even distribution of air per cylinder, yes. Every intake manifold has a target market and there is no one size fits all, except for stock intake manifolds in 90% of the typical boosted combos out there. LOL!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
Compared to the billet intake manifolds that are designed to cope with 30+ psi boost pressures and have even distribution of air per cylinder, yes. Every intake manifold has a target market and there is no one size fits all, except for stock intake manifolds in 90% of the typical boosted combos out there. LOL!

And don't proper LS6 manifolds even go for $3-400 now ?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If it could prove to be a strong performer in the 6-8k range, that would be great. Although the losses sub 6k on the graph posted do seem quite considerable, more so that any tests of other intakes

Although how it would fare with other builds etc...who knows. One graph doesnt tell a full story...although it's the only one released, so you could assume from that it is one of the more flattering ones ! Which might raise even more concerns
I agree. For now my Holley Hi-ram is working fine for my combo so unless this intake shows some muscle I think I will stick with the known factor until I see some proof of why not to.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a flow standpoint, restrictions, etc., it is not a good manifold design because the air flows front to back, then up, then 180 degrees back down, which is unlike any tunnel ram manifold that is a known HP producer. BTR is a copy of shearer and others while trying to improve fitment into various chassis. Their own graph shows it is down on HP in a boosted application from 4500 to 6200 and likely also in the lower rpm ranges is a clear indication of not only flow issues, but distribution as well IMO because you won't have nearly the distribution problems if you have good flow, possible, but not as likely if you have poor flow. To complicate the issue, the more boost you run the HP increases, but at what cost, more boost/hp developed? Likely event, which is not good. Customer service is a big thing, pissed off customers are impossible to get back, just ask me because I'll never go back to BTR for jack after spending 20k and getting jacked!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can preorder today. Ships in December. Looks nice though. Wish I had money to buy **** for looks lol.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by drHunt
From a flow standpoint, restrictions, etc., it is not a good manifold design because the air flows front to back, then up, then 180 degrees back down, which is unlike any tunnel ram manifold that is a known HP producer. BTR is a copy of shearer and others while trying to improve fitment into various chassis. Their own graph shows it is down on HP in a boosted application from 4500 to 6200 and likely also in the lower rpm ranges is a clear indication of not only flow issues, but distribution as well IMO because you won't have nearly the distribution problems if you have good flow, possible, but not as likely if you have poor flow. To complicate the issue, the more boost you run the HP increases, but at what cost, more boost/hp developed? Likely event, which is not good. Customer service is a big thing, pissed off customers are impossible to get back, just ask me because I'll never go back to BTR for jack after spending 20k and getting jacked!
It is not a copy of anything, because nobody else makes one like it.

It follows the design of a dual plenum intake design which the Shearer does also, which is a design decades old. So nothing new whatsoever. And the main intention is to offer more even distribution to each cylinder.

It does seem you've failed to comprehend those simple basics...

But of course as a short runner intake, it was never going to perform well at lower rpm's. That was fairly obvious from the outset although many many have hoped otherwise and it seems have been proved wrong.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It is not a copy of anything, because nobody else makes one like it.

It follows the design of a dual plenum intake design which the Shearer does also, which is a design decades old. So nothing new whatsoever. And the main intention is to offer more even distribution to each cylinder.

It does seem you've failed to comprehend those simple basics...

But of course as a short runner intake, it was never going to perform well at lower rpm's. That was fairly obvious from the outset although many many have hoped otherwise and it seems have been proved wrong.
In doing patent law as a Registered PE and attorney, I can tell you that either in theory or design, it is a copy of prior work, that is undisputable even by your own admission. As per BTR, poor hp below 6200 rpm as compared to other manifolds in the same boosted application does not, in and of itself, equal great flow or flow distribution. There is zero evidence that the BTR manifold has good flow distribution despite what their intentions are or were, which is also an undisputed fact, because the intake runner length, by definition, from the inlet to the back cylinders is undoubted longer than that of the front cylinders because the inlet is in the front of the manifold. In my opinion, and numerous technical articles on the same subject, unequal runner lengths are not a good idea for a plethora of reasons and do not lend themselves to equal flow distribution. I think other posts relate to the lack of EGT/AFR readiness on a cylinder by cylinder basis, and that post or those posts were left unanswered. In any event it seems that to make any claim some evidence supporting a claim would be helpful to members in general before they lay down cold hard cash for something that is inferior.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

You could say every single intake manifold used on a car since the first car was produced....was a copy, so it is a nonsense argument, perhaps even more so from someone claiming to be an attorney.

And there has been no info posted of internals to state whether runners are unequal length or otherwise.

But yes the evidence so far in terms of performance.....that is the biggest disappointment of all, because it is poor.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Everything has it's place, including this manifold. For someone who races their car, shorter runner intakes are better because it holds power higher in the rpm range, which this intake shows. So to compare apples to apples, you have to look at other manifolds that are designed for the 6-8k range, and then compare how those are with packaging, fitment, price, etc.

For a street car, 2500-5000 is more important to some, so this intake is never going to be on their radar, nor any other short runner intake for that fact.

Like anything, figure out what your goals are first, then pick your setup to acheive those results.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the dual plenum design was out and they just did a large plenum?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

The dual plenum isnt out yet, but if you'd read any of the thread you'd see it is almost ready for sale. And given the space constraints and them trying to keep it a low profile, it wont be a large plenum either.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internet experts ATTACK!
Old 10-24-2018, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-24-2018, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

e
Old 10-24-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If only there was a legit patent lawyer on the forum that could sue shearer for his blatant copying of these intakes.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

And another to sue sideways images ! lol
Old 10-24-2018, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Everything has it's place, including this manifold. For someone who races their car, shorter runner intakes are better because it holds power higher in the rpm range, which this intake shows. So to compare apples to apples, you have to look at other manifolds that are designed for the 6-8k range, and then compare how those are with packaging, fitment, price, etc.

For a street car, 2500-5000 is more important to some, so this intake is never going to be on their radar, nor any other short runner intake for that fact.

Like anything, figure out what your goals are first, then pick your setup to acheive those results.
Agreed. This intake has it's place. I got an email from BTR this morning saying they are now selling it, or taking pre-orders, can't remember. But it clearly states what it's intended usage is.

For people who thought this was going to be a better, more cost effective intake for your bolt on LS1...this is not that case.

There is only so much physical room under the hoods of these cars....only so much room you have to work with.

These engines have been around now for almost 20 years(cathedral)and if you think someone is suddenly going to figure out the magic bullet that makes 20 or 30 more HP than the FAST or MSD for a N/A engine....

It's not gonna happen.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
If only there was a legit patent lawyer on the forum that could sue shearer for his blatant copying of these intakes.
It's part of the industry...you know that. There are thousands of intakes that are "based" off a design 30-40 years ago.

And I won't even bring up companies like BMR copying Strano's springs or NO "borrowing" idea's from NX...but I digress..
Old 10-24-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted from my phone and they look normal

Quick Reply: New BTR CAST INTAKE