LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Your opinion please: D1X or 2.9 Whipple (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1889413-your-opinion-please-d1x-2-9-whipple.html)

romanss 01-12-2018 06:22 AM

Your opinion please: D1X or 2.9 Whipple

Hi All

So I'm new to the Supercharger realm.

I have a stock LQ4 and going with LS3 top end with a T56 into a 1973 Camaro. I am doing the swap this winter.

So far I have a pair of Gen X TFS heads.

I was waiting to get cam and intake after I figure out which direction I'm going in.

I want a SC that will be able reach 1000 fwhp eventually. I know it won't now and I am not expecting to push the stock short block.

What are the pros and cons of the 2 SC choices D1X or 2.9 Whipple ?

What I like about the Whipple is that it's complete minus T.B and heat exchanger.

What I like about the Procharger is that I can build the rest of the build, get it running and then incorporate the SC afterwards.

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks,

Roman

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...9bd087fc39.jpg

rkupon1 01-12-2018 07:02 AM

Will a 2.9whipple make 1k hp? I had a 3.4l whipple on my lightning. Those things make phenominal tq n very reliable, but they are heatpumps. You ll spend thousands keepn iat s under check. Fwiw, mine made 705rwhp on pumpgas at 18-20psi. Took alot of supporting mods to get it there. But yea, it was a blast to drive! Heres a clip, been a long time since.

stevieturbo 01-12-2018 02:56 PM

Numbers mean little.

What is the car used for, what trans, what is your driving style...etc etc ?

The two blowers you mention will have massively different characteristics.

And then will a whipple fit under your hood without mods ? Or does that matter ?

What room have you for a Procharger, what fitting kit/belt drive etc ? All important things for reliability.

romanss 01-12-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 19809408)
Numbers mean little.

What is the car used for, what trans, what is your driving style...etc etc ?

The two blowers you mention will have massively different characteristics.

And then will a whipple fit under your hood without mods ? Or does that matter ?

What room have you for a Procharger, what fitting kit/belt drive etc ? All important things for reliability.

Hmm. I guess use is a big deal, eh? Mainly street, fun, the odd highway pull, the odd drag outing, the odd (I hope to) go road racing and maybe a 1/2 mile race. Dabble in everything.

What kind of differences are there between the 2 types of blowers?

I think it will fit. I was going to get a new hood soon. I wanted an anvil power bulge, we'll see when that time comes.

There seemed to be plenty of room in front. I unfortunately don't have the car right now, nor a motor in the car. I am trying to educate myself a bit by asking you guys dumb questions for a while.

I was planning on going to a cog style belt.

stevieturbo 01-12-2018 03:40 PM

A cog style belt is not advisable.

Unless you need lots of lower rpm torque, then probably isnt much point in the Whipple. Sometimes too much torque is a bad thing.

The centrifugal blowers are very well proven, lots of kits out there, a huge choice of head units and intercooling is easy.

One of the Procharger F1's, their 94mm or a Vortech YSI would easily do what you want

A D1 might cover your 1k goal...but it would be a push.

JakeFusion 01-12-2018 03:47 PM

D1X might not hit 1k rwhp, but it'll hit 900 all day.

D1X (and centrifugal blowers) build boost as the RPMs go up... so if you rev to 7K, it'll make insane power. So its peak is the highest RPM you hit. On the street, these are good because it allows you to roll into power without lighting up the tires.

The positive displacement blower makes a broad torque curve from near off-idle to whatever you can rev to without over-revving the blower. So if you need 800ft-lbs of torque at 2k RPM... you can get it. And you won't have to rev very high to make a lot of power because of all the torque. It's like any other roots-style blower.

Vortec350ss 01-12-2018 04:22 PM

I think if you build the procharger right its the better choice for a car like yours with a goal as lofty as 1000.

If you build it with higher compression it will have plenty of snap. Quite frankly I find that procharger builds have better light part throttle characteristics because you have a cam that's more friendly to bottom end power and a more efficient intake manifold design. Of course as soon as you give it enough pedal to hit big boost numbers down low with the whipple all bets are off, but I am talking normal driving type stuff.

If the procharger is built with higher compression it will still be a tire burner. I would have Kept it at 10.5ish compression with a good set of cathedral heads and a good intake manifold to help aid the bottom and mid. I would run a cam along these lines: 230/240 113+4. It will allow you to make wicked mid range and bleed off some boost so you can pulley down and get to a blower RPM that makes the D1x more snappy. If you rev to high 6000's (6750 for instance) and you are pulley'd to hit 15-16psi that thing will breathe fire from start to finish. That wont be max RPM for the blower, but you'll be closer than you think and approaching 800 RWHP would be my guess. You don't need to go overly aggressive on the converter either. A billet 3200 258mm would do the trick.

I tuned a truck that set the D1 record for a fullsize on only its second pass... I wish we had more time tuning it! I think we could have made it a lot faster! he was also only using a 2800 Yank 258mm.

Now to throw a wrench in what I just told you... I have the same body style truck with a 2.9 whipple on it and I have a raging hard on for PD blowers. I think my truck, being "light" for a truck, is still a lot heavier than your car is and I hate loose converters. also, on the LS3 top end the whipple may make more sense as it will help aid in top end power even more.

You can't go wrong with either!

jimmyg 01-12-2018 05:04 PM

I have a 6.0 / Whipple 2.9 and love it. I have never seen IAT over 125-130. @14lbs boost makes around 650-700 RW .

jimmyg 01-12-2018 05:29 PM

I think for 1k hp your gonna need a bigger blower like the Whipple 4.5 or a ysi, f1a etc...

Detoxx03 01-12-2018 05:53 PM

A motor built to a minimum of 10.5:1 compression with a D1X will be a blast and could hit 1000 especially with a comp bump and running e85.

romanss 01-12-2018 06:53 PM

I guess that my guess of 1000 fwhp was more of a benchmark more then an expectation. Anything over 850ish would put a smile on my face.

It's more of a goof around car then a race car.

So it sounds like the procharger route would be more streetable option with a lot of reliability.

Detoxx03 01-12-2018 06:55 PM

Oh shoot if you only wanted 1000 flywheel the D1X can do that easily.

jimmyg 01-12-2018 09:50 PM

Are you going to do anything with the lower end?

romanss 01-12-2018 09:53 PM

I will eventually. I'll keep the boost low (6-8) then get a built
short block.

mOtOrHeAd MiKe 01-12-2018 10:12 PM

Add a wastegate and pulley down the Procharger - opens up a world of possibilities. And yes as mentioned, a high compression motor (with a mild cam) and a Procharger is very snappy.

Worked for me: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11-second...-tbss-11s.html

Don't fixate on a number, fixate on the purpose and a performance goal - since you want to dabble in everything it best that you don't go for max power as the car will be plain unpleasant. 500/500 to the wheels is more than enough; become a better driver and learn to master it.

Razor 01-12-2018 10:34 PM

my previous set up was a 2.3 Whipple in my 73 Camaro! Absolutely loved the power curve. I honestly wish I would have kept it and added nitrous bars. Tight sc3000 converter and btr stg3 cam. A 2.9 Whipple would be great in your car. You’ll need a cowl hood though.

Bob@BruteSpeed 01-13-2018 06:51 AM

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1LS10...100-D1SC-I.htm

Here is ProCharger's Transplant Kit. If you are interested, give me a call for prices much lower than what I can put into print. Bob

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...57e9ef67ea.jpg

romanss 01-13-2018 07:53 AM

Are there any intank fuel pumps that can support this power reliably?

Is there a h.p. to LPH calculator? I really have no idea what is needed to support that kind of setup.

I got a Ricks stainless a couple of years back knowing that I'll be going f.i. but never thought about a blower.

Thanks for all of the input.

stevieturbo 01-13-2018 03:15 PM

There are any number of pump setups that can support it, just depends how you want to do it, what fuel, etc etc

Razor 01-13-2018 04:21 PM

Ricks can put dual 485's in your tank. Call and ask them. That's who's building mine and I've already discussed it with them..ask Hector.