Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4th Gen Camaro Street Car New PB 7.81@177

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratical
Very happy to see your results using a K1 crank. I was a little worried about the one in my new LSX engine but it looks like you are making it live fine at the same performance levels I was looking to see this year.

Just to clarify in my mind, I did notice on the build thread that the heads look like square port on page 11. Did I miss where you swapped over to cathedral 245's at some point or are they the TFS 255's?
I beleive I posted that I made the switch to 245's in there. I may not have. Busy summer. I started with the dart 280cc's. I hated the hi ram being I couldnt fit my stock hood. Had a battery issue that resulted in a fuel pump breaker tripping while I was doing 150mph pull. torched the head and gasket. Best thing that ever happened. The 245's and pro flo/race sniper feel quite a bit quicker over the rec ports. Power from 4,000 and up opposed to 6,000 and up.

Just a set of 70cc 245's off from Atech/summit. Bronze guides. Oem Rockers. I like to party lol
Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Great work.

I assume you where out of gear on your 1/2 mile runs? I would expect that car to see 210-220 if ti was stable at speed and you ran it out. consider a GV behind the glide?
Yes, it wouldnt go any faster. Still with a 3.42 and 28" radial. That was all it had to 8,150. Just wouldnt pull any longer.
I just eased into it and left it linger that 8,150 for 3.5 seconds at the end of the run.
Made a second pass just did a burnout and made it look cool to go 189.x

It was so fun I plan to switch to a 3.08 for the next half mile I can make.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Great work.

I assume you where out of gear on your 1/2 mile runs? I would expect that car to see 210-220 if ti was stable at speed and you ran it out. consider a GV behind the glide?
Sorry, I almost forgot. I have not looked into the gear vendor stuff at all. Never put too much thought into it. Ive drove 2-3 hours straight without any crazy trans temps at 70-75mph. The converter is so tight it dosent give me any issues.

Season before last I had a 400 with a patc $600 converter and I couldnt drive it more then 45 mins on the highway without it creeping temps.

I love the glide in here. It feels so tame.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Sorry, I almost forgot. I have not looked into the gear vendor stuff at all. Never put too much thought into it. Ive drove 2-3 hours straight without any crazy trans temps at 70-75mph. The converter is so tight it dosent give me any issues.

Season before last I had a 400 with a patc $600 converter and I couldnt drive it more then 45 mins on the highway without it creeping temps.

I love the glide in here. It feels so tame.
Local to me, complete junk. I know there's no way for you to know that. I wont step foot in that place for anything.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Local to me, complete junk. I know there's no way for you to know that. I wont step foot in that place for anything.
Patc?

The car did well on lower power. It ended up trapping 153 on 19 psi with 6% slip and then 159.7 on 27 psi and 14% slip lol

I had someone tell me they used their stuff in the past and loved it. At the time it was budget-ish so I went for it. Bad mistake. Ill never cheap out on a converter ever again.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

That place is just bad. Mismanaged, poor service etc. No clue how they are still in business.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

That place is just bad. Mismanaged, poor service etc. No clue how they are still in business.
That is a shame. They seem established and have done a few really neat things in the past. They seemed to have done some cool 4l80e stuff.

Oh well. They must not mind much.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tell you a funny story about them. All the local enthusiasts know to stay away, well we had a couple guys make a deal with the owner and they started a performance shop in one of their buildings. Had a dyno, sorta specialized in LS stuff etc. The couple of younger guys were well known racers around here. They organized dyno days etc. So people knew if these guys were there everything would be on the up and up. After a year or two the owner walks in and fires everyone relating to that part of the business, and shut the performance part down. Now, we all stay away again. Weird circle of life.

Here was one of the dyno days they did there at PATC

Old 02-15-2018, 08:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I beleive I posted that I made the switch to 245's in there. I may not have. Busy summer. I started with the dart 280cc's. I hated the hi ram being I couldnt fit my stock hood. Had a battery issue that resulted in a fuel pump breaker tripping while I was doing 150mph pull. torched the head and gasket. Best thing that ever happened. The 245's and pro flo/race sniper feel quite a bit quicker over the rec ports. Power from 4,000 and up opposed to 6,000 and up.

Just a set of 70cc 245's off from Atech/summit. Bronze guides. Oem Rockers. I like to party lol
I might have missed it. Reading the thread at work and might have skipped a page. Lol

Very interesting how it was a noticeable improvement switching heads. I want so bad to switch to the TFS 245's myself but just not cost effective right now so I guess we will see how these Dart LS3 heads do!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=01ssreda4;19834466]

Dang. That is a real shame. I hate to see it happen.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might have missed it. Reading the thread at work and might have skipped a page. Lol

Very interesting how it was a noticeable improvement switching heads. I want so bad to switch to the TFS 245's myself but just not cost effective right now so I guess we will see how these Dart LS3 heads do!
It was night and day different under the curve. The car felt very much like a honda type power band with the darts. would start low and keep climbing power until it would float the valves. Also with 387.x inches.

Do you have the Dart 280's? If so Id cut your loses now and ditch them. Dont plan on revving them over 6,700 rpm or atleast that is what they told me. I Bent Every single Intake Valve Upwards like a cone, ruined every spring in the head, and still would like to blame that on torching the head. Ill see if I can dig up some pictures.

When I called dart and asked them how that happened they told me they were designed for large cubic inch n/a power and due to the size of the valve they wouldnt recommend putting to much air to the back of it with a lot of rpm. It ended up costing me almost $2,100 dollars to replace the head I ruined and get the other on it tip top shape so I could sell them.

They were absolutely the worst money I spent on the car.

The symptoms were that my "rev limiter" continued to drop rpm. In the beginning Id rev it 8,500, then it wouldnt rev over 8,200, then eventually it wouldnt rev over 7,500. I broke a rocker arm and couldnt beleive it. Well after I realized that the valves were bending inwards and pulling through the head effectively lengthening the valve, putting pressure on the rocker since it wasnt going to push the lifters and cam any further. I shortly after torched a hole in the head. It was a weird chain of events and I blew a breaker on my fuel pump but the car also died shortly after.

After going back and fourth with them for 4-5 weeks I ended up buying a bare head, buying all new intake valves, all new valve springs, and sending the heads to them to make sure they were up to par for me to sell and never use again.

The entire time they just told me. I should have never bought such a large and heavy intake valved head and expected it to handle any kind of rpms.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
8 Second Club

It was night and day different under the curve. The car felt very much like a honda type power band with the darts. would start low and keep climbing power until it would float the valves. Also with 387.x inches.

Do you have the Dart 280's? If so Id cut your loses now and ditch them. Dont plan on revving them over 6,700 rpm or atleast that is what they told me. I Bent Every single Intake Valve Upwards like a cone, ruined every spring in the head, and still would like to blame that on torching the head. Ill see if I can dig up some pictures.

When I called dart and asked them how that happened they told me they were designed for large cubic inch n/a power and due to the size of the valve they wouldnt recommend putting to much air to the back of it with a lot of rpm. It ended up costing me almost $2,100 dollars to replace the head I ruined and get the other on it tip top shape so I could sell them.

They were absolutely the worst money I spent on the car.

The symptoms were that my "rev limiter" continued to drop rpm. In the beginning Id rev it 8,500, then it wouldnt rev over 8,200, then eventually it wouldnt rev over 7,500. I broke a rocker arm and couldnt beleive it. Well after I realized that the valves were bending inwards and pulling through the head effectively lengthening the valve, putting pressure on the rocker since it wasnt going to push the lifters and cam any further. I shortly after torched a hole in the head. It was a weird chain of events and I blew a breaker on my fuel pump but the car also died shortly after.

After going back and fourth with them for 4-5 weeks I ended up buying a bare head, buying all new intake valves, all new valve springs, and sending the heads to them to make sure they were up to par for me to sell and never use again.

The entire time they just told me. I should have never bought such a large and heavy intake valved head and expected it to handle any kind of rpms.
That is exactly the ones I have. Sounds like you were tuliping the valves. Lucky you didn't break a head off one and take out the whole bottom end.

I didn't put this combo together or I would never have used these heads. I am a cathedral guy for life! Lol

I guess I will look deeper into replacing the heads. I know it would make me happier anyway in the long run and I do not plan on running crazy boost so the non-hipped heads like yours should be more than fine.

Thank you for the great info!

Last edited by Ratical; 02-15-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

...Thank you for the great info!
+1 Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Ratical;19834710]
Dart told me I tuliped them.

It ended up actually doing the same et. The cathedrals with pro flo went 124 in the 1/8th where the darts did 121 with hi ram. Both were within a decimal place of times. 8.89 for the trick flows and 8.91 for the darts which could have been the wind that day.

If you were to run the darts Id go with a lighter valve for sure.

I am completely unbiased and have no gain but I can tell you the Cathedrals made GOBS more power down low. It really feels faster on the street. Even on low boost. It pulls from anywhere. I am very very happy with the switch.
Tooley told me in the beginning not to run the darts and I just thought he was trying to sell me on a set of heads. Everything he told me was true. Speaking of residual air left in the intake runner due to the large intake valve. Having to run a lot of rpm to make the power a cathedral would.
He was correct. The rec ports felt very sluggish in comparison. Made the turbo feel a lot larger then it is.

Aside from the fact I completely trashed the heads. That is a whole other story. I was a little salty about that. Same situation with me. I knew a guy that had a brand new lsnext iron and the 280cc's brand new in the box. Made me a deal I couldnt refuse so I ran them so I didnt lose or have to come out of pocket for the 245's. I honestly wish I would have in the beginning.

For this setup the 245's are an awesome head.

I had shelf 70cc bronze guides from atech before and loved them.

I ordered the 50 degree and 66cc from btr this time. Not that I need it to be more responsive. Ive never seen a turbo car get on the 2 step as fast as this does. It is like a nitrous car the way the power comes on. No exaggeration.

First hit with the menscers when I wheelied it was hard to see in the videos but I peddled the **** out of the car and it actually came down soft. Never even scratched the pan. Everyone at the track was complimenting how quick the car comes back to life while I was peddling it.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 408GT
+1 Thanks for sharing.
No Problem sir. 2018 should be exciting!
See how fast I can really make this thing.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man that is COOKIN!!! Great work Kenny!!!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Tell you a funny story about them. All the local enthusiasts know to stay away, well we had a couple guys make a deal with the owner and they started a performance shop in one of their buildings. Had a dyno, sorta specialized in LS stuff etc. The couple of younger guys were well known racers around here. They organized dyno days etc. So people knew if these guys were there everything would be on the up and up. After a year or two the owner walks in and fires everyone relating to that part of the business, and shut the performance part down. Now, we all stay away again. Weird circle of life.

Here was one of the dyno days they did there at PATC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiLt0Kha5fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfxvpHFXhq4
Wait, so you know Chris at xxx?
Old 02-15-2018, 05:17 PM
8 Second Club

If you were to run the darts Id go with a lighter valve for sure.

I am completely unbiased and have no gain but I can tell you the Cathedrals made GOBS more power down low. It really feels faster on the street. Even on low boost. It pulls from anywhere. I am very very happy with the switch.
Tooley told me in the beginning not to run the darts and I just thought he was trying to sell me on a set of heads. Everything he told me was true. Speaking of residual air left in the intake runner due to the large intake valve. Having to run a lot of rpm to make the power a cathedral would.
He was correct. The rec ports felt very sluggish in comparison. Made the turbo feel a lot larger then it is.

Aside from the fact I completely trashed the heads. That is a whole other story. I was a little salty about that. Same situation with me. I knew a guy that had a brand new lsnext iron and the 280cc's brand new in the box. Made me a deal I couldnt refuse so I ran them so I didnt lose or have to come out of pocket for the 245's. I honestly wish I would have in the beginning.

For this setup the 245's are an awesome head.

I had shelf 70cc bronze guides from atech before and loved them.

I ordered the 50 degree and 66cc from btr this time. Not that I need it to be more responsive. Ive never seen a turbo car get on the 2 step as fast as this does. It is like a nitrous car the way the power comes on. No exaggeration.
Well you sold me, or at least convinced me to do what I have been wanting to do anyway. Going to order up a new set of 245's from Brian with a new matching cam and be safe. I heard a lot of good things about the Darts as well in N/A combos so they are still supposed to be a great head for the right application. No sense wrecking a brand new set of heads or putting more money into these to try and make them work. My car gets a lot of street time too so power under the curve is good.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Game ova
Wait, so you know Chris at xxx?
He is semi-local to me. I know him through passing. I wasnt there that day for the dyno day. I DID however race his c7 once, and still give him **** that he lost to an all motor LS1. He may not like me much bahaha

You can see his car at 0:50 here

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Ratical;19834910]

**** talking aside since I should be more pissed about the situation then I am.
Ive ruined a lot of stuff in my short time here on earth so it is normal for me. **** happens.

I am happier with the 245's.

Had I known the darts would have cause me issues Id have switched them up front. I was not aware that the would tulip the valves and wear out the springs. I am forever thankful I didnt drop a valve. But I do wish there was someone to warn me ahead of time.

For instance instead of saying, "youll be faster with this head or that head". All I heard from people was that since I had a sub 400 inch engine Id have to rev them to the moon. I am no stranger to rpm having 9-10,000 rpm hondas. So I was down with that. BUT. They could have said, "You are likely going to ruin those heads" lol

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Camaro Street Car New PB 7.81@177