Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo A6 cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo A6 cars

Hello all. I’m running a s10 blazer with a heads/cam 5.3/6L80 combo with a ball bearing 78/68 turbo. I’m kind of in a tough spot here with testing the truck; it has a 8.6” 10 bolt and I don’t want to grenade the Gov loc testing the truck because I don’t want to ruin the rear end, and I don’t really know what I want for gear ratio without running the truck hard. Right now, the gov loc gets stuck and works like a spool and then pops loose with a little commotion so I’m on borrowed time. The truck has a 3.42 rear now, with a 295/40/18, I was thinking of going to a 3.08 but I’m wondering if I should go even further to a 2.73. A 2.73 looks like it would still be usable with the double over drive on the highway but I’m definitely equally concerned about it’s performance with the turbo. Truck is definitely over 4000lbs. Can anyone with first hand experience with some of the chubby A6 cars offer some advice? Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

My camaro was 3800 pounds and i had 7868 rear mount. I ran the stock rear gear for awhile but moved to a 3.45 and was much happier. That was all with a 28 inch tall tire. For what its worth id go 3.20 something in your set up if it was me. Put a good posi in it and get a converter. the stock 6l converter sucks. Last but not least find someone experienced to tune that 6l80 you cant just add pressure and Zero the shift table or it will bind and burn up. Hardest trans i ever had to make work right. I also think anything over 600 needs mods and anything over 800 needs a 4l80. That first gear which i believe is 4 something is usless with boost off the line.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do need a built 6l i happem to have one. I even have the tune figured out. Has a 3600 stall with 4 lock up clutchs. Ill sell it to you for a good price. Freshened. New clucthcs steel and seals. Shameless plug sorry.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordoza
If you do need a built 6l i happem to have one. I even have the tune figured out. Has a 3600 stall with 4 lock up clutchs. Ill sell it to you for a good price. Freshened. New clucthcs steel and seals. Shameless plug sorry.
Thanks for the info. I'm curious, is the truck 6L80 converter the same as the one in the car? My set up is from a Silverado and I'm actually pretty happy with the converter as it sits now, but I haven't leaned on it much yet.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe they are the same. The weak part of the converyer for me was the lock up clucth it is constantly pulse width modulated to apply really softly on a set up that makes big power really quickly it doesnt react fast enough and you burn the converter clutch up pretty quickly. Tuning the apply ramp helps but a larger or multi disc is the fix.