Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2001 SOM Camaro SS M6 Huron Speed V3 AC Retaining Turbo Build (long read & pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
We're rating catch cans in terms of HP now??LOL

Handle/support, all the same...

To clear up any confusion... https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...en-f-body-wild

Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Handle/support, all the same...

To clear up any confusion... https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...en-f-body-wild
Interesting that he specifically says 1000hp in the ad. Never heard of a specific number when talking about catch cans. Whatever, as long as it works.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Thumbs up

Now that the car can move under it's own power, I need to finish the install of the catch can. About a year ago, I contacted Mighty Mouse to see what catch cans he had available for my application. He suggested I go with his 'Wild" set up. This should be able to handle 1000 HP. Install is pretty straight forward as you can see in the pics. The one thing you can't see is the little breather filter on the rear of the drivers side valve cover.
If I may make a suggestion as I'm running an identical can and setup, with as unbelievably clean as your engine bay is I'd make the filter on the drivers valve cover remote.
When its right off the valve cover it can put off an oily mist on parts around it where as I have mine on a 2' piece of hose tucked into the fender well and it eliminates the oil mist.
Beautiful build btw.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting that he specifically says 1000hp in the ad. Never heard of a specific number when talking about catch cans. Whatever, as long as it works.
My guess would be the correlation between the flow of air and horsepower, his stuff works quite well though.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
My guess would be the correlation between the flow of air and horsepower, his stuff works quite well though.
I don't think there is a specific airflow in the crankcase for a given HP, its entirely setup dependent.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The ******
If I may make a suggestion as I'm running an identical can and setup, with as unbelievably clean as your engine bay is I'd make the filter on the drivers valve cover remote.
When its right off the valve cover it can put off an oily mist on parts around it where as I have mine on a 2' piece of hose tucked into the fender well and it eliminates the oil mist.
Beautiful build btw.

Thanks, Defiantly don't want to muck it up now!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think there is a specific airflow in the crankcase for a given HP, its entirely setup dependent.
No I agree but I think we both agree that an engine with 1000 hp will move a lot more air both via combustion and through the crankcase than an engine with 300 hp.
That's all I'm driving at.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, Defiantly don't want to muck it up now!
It doesn't make a huge mess but with my car being street driven as much as it I still noticed which says to me you'll definitely notice lol.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on getting it running! Looks fantastic, I'm sure you're thrilled
Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default Air filter question

do you recall the overall height of the filter along with the ID of the pipe? It looks like it might be exactly what I’m looking for.

Thanks,
JIM
Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
do you recall the overall height of the filter along with the ID of the pipe? It looks like it might be exactly what I’m looking for.

Thanks,
JIM
K & N has a lot of different sizes. Scroll to related items at bottom of page. Looks like MightyMouse has his own logo on top of filter.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...prod=RU-0150PK
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys for the kind comments!!! After months and months of work, it sure was a relief that everything worked thus far. without issues. Hearing the turbo spool up for the first time and the BOV go off, put a big *** smiling on my face for sure. I was kinda speechless at the time.

Which filter you referring to? As for the Air filter, I never really measured it, it came with my kit. I'm guessing it has a 4" opening, about 10-12" long and about 6-7 inches in diameter.

The small catch can filter is about 3" diameter, 2 1/2" tall and about 1 3/8" ID
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367

Thanks,
JIM
If you referring to the small catch can filter, this would be the part # based on Billiumss' specs.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=62-1430

From these groups.

https://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm?pkid=6232111&rw=4
Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Default Racetronix HD Series Parallel Fan Harness FNWH-007

During my first test drive I had to manually hook up my fans so it didn't overheat since I didn't have a fan harness yet. I was going to build my own which I would normally do but I knew Racetronix had a harness that mimics the factory series parallel setup so I gave them a call. You don't want to use your factory wiring to power the Derale fans, you will melt your harness!

Before I go any further, I gotta say this. While Racetronix provides great products, they are not always the most friendliest or welcome to talk to. I don't know if it's because they are from Canada and the culture is different there or what. Even in their posts on this site, they can be a little "harsh" at times. If they could work on their customer skills, they would be one of the best companies out there.

Ok, back to the main event! When I called them up to ask about their fan harness and told them what fans I was going to use, they said that their current "series parallel" harness is technically not ideal since it will be on the edge of what the relays can handle. The derale pusher fans draw A LOT of current, 22 amps continuous and over 30 amps on start up. The relays are designed for only 30 amps max.

Racetronix then told me they were in the process of building and testing a new HD (Heavy Duty) series parallel fan harness with 40 amp relays. It took a few weeks to get one since they were testing and verifying the first batch they have produced. Over the last year or so, I have searched for pictures of what their harness looks like and could never find them. So for anyone that does a search either on here or Google, you'll be able to find actual pictures of their Series Parallel harness FNWH-007.

The harness is of very good quality with OEM type appearance.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Great thread. Even though the kit required some additional fab work to make fit, the fact that it fit somewhat with a BMR swaybar is good.

I have so much less room in my bay with a BeCool radiator, 0 gauge "big 3 wiring" and a truck alternator, I wonder how much more of a pain it would be for me. Though I don't have the ABS anymore, that frees up some space on one side.

But the issue with the downpipe and a/c compressor are sad.

I also wonder how well those Derale fans work as pushers. I actually have the Mightymouse fan shroud for the Procharger kit with Spal fans. It frees up a lot of space. It almost looks like they would fit with that kit. Worth a try at least.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Thanks Jake!

Yeah kinda a shame I had to modify a kit designed for our cars so it will fit. There are areas in need of improvement to make it a great kit. I'll be posting my thoughts on improvements later on, hopefully Huron Speed can take constructive criticism well.

With the turbo placement, there is no way to have puller fans, at least ones that are big enough to do anything. Maybe with some tweaking to the kit, it may be possible. I dunno...
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Default Racetronix HD Series Parallel Fan Harness FNWH-007 Install

Now that the holidays are over, back to business! One area of concern with this harness was the ring terminals for the +12v and ground. For a 40 amp fan harness, they seem to be kinda undersized/cheap. I thought they would have been a little more heavy duty.

Here are some pics of the harness installed.

Racetronix suggests to tap into the wires at the PCM so it can turn the fans on. In my quest to do a clean install for this build, I decided to go straight to the factory relay block on the drivers side for the input signal from the PCM. I modified crimp forks as pins to plug in, simple and effective.

The ground wire for the fan harness is attached to the intercooler mounting bracket bolt. I sanded the areas front and back to have a good ground. I also used a star washer on the backside to help dig into the metal for better electrical conductivity.

I zip tied the fan harness to the bottom of the intercooler bracket and mounted the new fan relays under the passenger side headlight with self tapping screws.

Kinda hidden which is what I like...

I don't have any good pictures of the fan plugs but it's kinda straight forward. Racetronix includes plugs and pins to install onto your fan leads. I crimped and soldered each connection. You only get a 2 extra pins so make sure you get the polarity correct, they are not your standard pins.

After the install I did some testing and all seems to work as they should with the low and high function. It doesn't seem that a lot of air is coming out the back side of the radiator when compared to the stock fan setup. I'll have to drive the car and do more testing/scanning to see if it stays under 200 degrees.

Is the harness worth it? I'd say yes, trying to source the correct parts, wire, and your time, it's worth the $140.00 for this harness.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

I Love all Racetronix Harnesses . They all seem to work amazing . and are cheao enough that you coulsnt replicate it yourself!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. Racetronix builds some great harness'. That said, they don't have the correct size eyelet on some of the wire ends. I've had to drill out the hole size or replace a couple of times to fit. I plan to get a similar Racetronix kit for my dual ac condenser fans. Thanks for a good writeup.

If you are not getting much air flow from the back side of the radiator, I think you will find that you will have to have both fans come on early, before everything heat soaks.

For example, my Spal Extreme 16 (3000 cfm) mounted on a Mighty Mouse shroud pulls so much hot air thru the radiator, I am not able to put my foot near the front of the passenger side wheel without burning my foot. That's how much heat it extracts/transfers out of the coolant. The small 9 inch on the driver side is the same - only problem is that it shoots all of the hot air directly into the engine bay with no where to go heat soaking everything in it's way (Procharge D1 driver side is in the way to exit from bottom of car).

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 01-04-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Default Front Bumper Cover on...

I've been meaning to update this thread, kinda hibernating last month, can't wait till spring!

Here are some pics with the front bumper cover on.

Unless I cut up my grill and front cover, 85% of the intercooler is covered up.

Quick Reply: 2001 SOM Camaro SS M6 Huron Speed V3 AC Retaining Turbo Build (long read & pics)