Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

2001 SOM Camaro SS M6 Huron Speed V3 AC Retaining Turbo Build (long read & pics)

Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2001 SOM Camaro SS M6 Huron Speed V3 AC Retaining Turbo Build (long read & pics)

Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta cut that bumper, Yikes
Old 02-04-2019, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Default Lower Bumper cover and fan harness wires

As you can see from these pics, the lower part of the bumper cover bends down due to the intercooler bracket. Since this is the case, this reduces air flow being forced up to the radiator like OEM when driving down the road. This is not a fault of of Huron Speed, just the nature of the beast for a front mount IC. The intercooler bracket provides a channel to route and mount wires to.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Default 93-97 LT1 Radiator Support

Many posts ago I mentioned that I'm going towards an enhanced OEM look for my build. Trying to do so can be a challenge with the additional accessories and wiring that comes with a project this size. In my quest to have a clean OEM look, I bought a nice used 93-97 LT1 radiator support ($25.00) to finish the build. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it till I put it on the car. While the pics below look good, it's even better in person. I've had a few people comment on how nice it looks and looks like a "stock" engine bay.

I'm pretty pumped about how the overall look of the engine bay turned out. I might either powder coat the valve covers black or go chrome, not sure yet. What do you guys think?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Its more stock than most turbo builds. To me it looks like a nicely modified bay in an LT1 car that's been LS swapped (the right angle 'cold air' into the TB). That is, at a glance til you really look around in it.

Very clean and nicely done!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Thank you very much Photochop It's amazing the amount of time it can take to do a build like this all by yourself while having a family, home and work duties.

My next task is to install the boost and Alky controllers. I've been working on a way to sorta hide them along with easy access, I think I came up with something that my work.

If I can get some motivation, I'll get it done and post some pics, just can't wait till spring arrives. I'm sick of the snow and cloudy days with no sun, ugh....
Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Billiumss View Post
... It's amazing the amount of time it can take to do a build like this all by yourself while having a family, home and work duties....
I'm right there with you on this one! I've got an 8 and soon to be 4 year old and family stuff tends to take up all my time. Can't get motivated to go out and work in a 40* garage. Not setup to heat up the air as much as I need it to. On top of that, we're going to be moving soon and I'm starting to wonder if this is all worth it. I could part out this build, put mine back to stock, and buy a nice C5 ZO6...can't say I haven't given that some serious thought! But I know I'd get bored with that and it would feel slow to me in no time.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Photochop View Post
I'm right there with you on this one! I've got an 8 and soon to be 4 year old and family stuff tends to take up all my time. Can't get motivated to go out and work in a 40* garage. Not setup to heat up the air as much as I need it to. On top of that, we're going to be moving soon and I'm starting to wonder if this is all worth it. I could part out this build, put mine back to stock, and buy a nice C5 ZO6...can't say I haven't given that some serious thought! But I know I'd get bored with that and it would feel slow to me in no time.

Keep it, don't sell or trade it off. These cars still hold their own and defiantly have the unique factor when they have FI in them. While I did have a few issues with my install, I'm still glad I added a turbo to my car. When I talk to other car guys and they ask whats done to mine, they are like oh, awesome. (kinda like holy ****!) lol
Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Arrow Boost & Meth Controller Mount

Hey guys, it's been awhile since an update. Been very busy with family, work, training, travel and the such.... Time to get back to working on the final items of this project!

With my quest to have an OEM look to my build, I had to get creative on the placement of the Turbosmart eBoost2 & Alky Methanol controllers. The eboost 2 has larger diameter than a standard gauge and wouldn't fit in a pillar gauge pod, I tried, impossible. I wanted them hidden but also easy to get to, so my son and I were looking at many areas in my car and decided on mounting them in the glove box.

I only keep my line lock cord in the glove box so I had plenty of room. After some thought on a design, we made a prototype cardboard mount and placed it in it's place. If fit perfect!

With the help of my son and nephew, we designed and 3D printed a mount for the controllers. It turned out pretty damn good for our first try. A huge thanks goes out to Zach and Andy!

Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Any dyno numbers
Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28 View Post
I agree. Racetronix builds some great harness'. That said, they don't have the correct size eyelet on some of the wire ends. I've had to drill out the hole size or replace a couple of times to fit. I plan to get a similar Racetronix kit for my dual ac condenser fans. Thanks for a good writeup.

If you are not getting much air flow from the back side of the radiator, I think you will find that you will have to have both fans come on early, before everything heat soaks.

For example, my Spal Extreme 16 (3000 cfm) mounted on a Mighty Mouse shroud pulls so much hot air thru the radiator, I am not able to put my foot near the front of the passenger side wheel without burning my foot. That's how much heat it extracts/transfers out of the coolant. The small 9 inch on the driver side is the same - only problem is that it shoots all of the hot air directly into the engine bay with no where to go heat soaking everything in it's way (Procharge D1 driver side is in the way to exit from bottom of car).
Do you have pictures of the Mighty Mouse fan shroud?

Its a pusher shroud, right?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

No dyno numbers yet. I'm guessing right now it should be close to 600 RWHP with only 7.5lbs of boost with my combo. I can't go any higher since my Racetronix fuel pump won't support anymore than that. Next winter I plan on upgrading my fuel system to support 1000+ RWHP / 20+ lbs of boost.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Billiumss View Post
No dyno numbers yet. I'm guessing right now it should be close to 600 RWHP with only 7.5lbs of boost with my combo. I can't go any higher since my Racetronix fuel pump won't support anymore than that. Next winter I plan on upgrading my fuel system to support 1000+ RWHP / 20+ lbs of boost.
You think the Turbonetics Billet 7575 can make 1,000 RWHP?

I have the same Huron Speed kit that you do, they tell me I need to choose a larger turbo that requires a little grinding to make it fit as well as new cold side piping.....

I would use the S484 w/race cover........ Gotta stand up the radiator for sure and move the condenser behind the FMIC in the bumper to make it work. I'm told by the turbo gurus it should make 1,200-1,300 RWHP.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Not with as many cubes as he's running.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

If I could get one dyno pull at 1000 RWHP, that would be awesome (a little race gas, meth, more timing)... I know wishful thinking.

More realistically, 850 - 900 RWHP is where it will probably end up.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: