Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil catch can idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch can idea

To start, im not 100% where this topic falls and i apologize in advance.

So as im slowly closing in on my turbo build ive been doing some research on oil catch cans. Many of which are the basic aluminum cans with a couple of AN fittings and a filtered breather. Is this really effective? could it be more efficient? The Stock PCV system brought an interesting thought to my mind. Now your going to have to use your imagination for a second and "go with me"

Take your average Oil catch can with breather off summit. Weld/seal the top 1 1/2" opening that the filter element closed with an aluminum AN male fitting pointed straight up. Using a 37* flare kit and some fittings you could easily manufacture a SS tube that will attach to the top of the can, just like a PCV system.

Unlike the PCV sys. that ran a line to the intake, which we all know introduces oil vapor into the intake, I was thinking of welding an extra AN steel fitting onto my turbos down pipe. The exhaust gasses rushing over the hole would create a vacuum and would "pull" crank case pressure caused by my turbo. With that being said, i hypothesis that as exhaust gas flow increases due to acceleration, the vacuum would equally pull more air from the engine. That would also mean that people utilizing a smaller AN hose size may yield better results compared to the atmospheric breather method, which in turn saves you money.

thoughts?
Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I think I know where you are going with this but you're confusing two types of catch cans I think. One is vented and one is not, Most people use the unvented placed inline on the PCV system not the vented style.
Something like this.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

i understand the PCV system. Air entering the intake manifold (red line to manifold) creates a vacuum which draws air from the oil catch can on the left. However the result of that type of set up pulls oil vapor and gunk into the intake manifold and eventually into the heads. Correct? its very effective but has a nasty payment

the breather system takes inputs from both valve covers and vents pressure to atmosphere. eliminating the hose that feeds to the intake manifold. Also effective but can leave a smell of oil in cabin or engine compartment

The OP is an idea to combine the two ideas and instead of running a line to the intake manifold, you run it to the exhaust pipe. This way oil vapor is pulled into exhaust and whatever is pulled into the hot gasses will be burned off
Old 04-15-2018, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OxTheGreat
i understand the PCV system. Air entering the intake manifold (red line to manifold) creates a vacuum which draws air from the oil catch can on the left. However the result of that type of set up pulls oil vapor and gunk into the intake manifold and eventually into the heads. Correct? its very effective but has a nasty payment
No the vapors are separated in the catch can, That's the whole point of using one.

There is a valve you can weld into the exhaust that will allow you to scavenge the crankcase, They have been around for a very long time.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

And where does the other end of that line go? because this is the first ive heard of it.
i was always been told that the way to relieve crank case pressure was through the valve covers into you catch can
Old 04-15-2018, 01:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is a link to the kit, They can be plumbed from the valve covers, Valley cover and so on. It depends on your setup. Like I said they have been around for decades.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-120108/overview/
Old 04-15-2018, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

so what would be the point of having this system in conjunction with a catch can? excuse my ignorance, for you blew my mind and now have conflicting understandings
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

so what would be the point of having this system in conjunction with a catch can? excuse my ignorance, for you blew my mind and now have conflicting understandings
Well those systems are not for use with mufflers because they will eventually clog from all the unburnt vapors that are now being pulled into the exhaust. You could still use a catch can to separate some of the solids before they are pulled into your exhaust.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Also keep in mind that most PCV systems only work with vacuum... so they they don't work under acceleration, They aren't there for performance they are there for emissions but do aid in keeping harmful vapors out of the crankcase so the engine will last longer and your oil will stay cleaner longer.
The system I linked are the opposite they better under acceleration but are also not a clean system, The only purpose they serve is to pull vapors out of the engine crankcase under acceleration.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

So my great idea is more an ok idea LOL!! Well I guess you gotta learn somehow. My exhaust is a hood dump so now I'm not sure which way to go.

#mindblown
Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

There are many ways to skin a cat as they say and some offer a performance increase and some do not.
You can also run a vacuum pump that will pull enough vacuum on the crankcase to help the rings seal but they aren't really practical for the typical street engine.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

So my great idea is more an ok idea LOL!! Well I guess you gotta learn somehow. My exhaust is a hood dump so now I'm not sure which way to go.

#mindblown
These systems have been around since the 60's on production cars and there are many different types. GM used to use a system called an A.I.R system that ran a belt driven pump that would pump fresh air into the exhaust using the one way valve like I posted and the sole purpose was to add air into the hot exhaust to promote the burning of excess fuel that would normally leave the tailpipe raw. If you've ever heard the term smog pump...that's most likely what they were referring to. They also figured out they could get cleaner emissions by taking crankcase vapors and running them thru the engine a second time to burn the vapors rather than purge them into the atmosphere.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

That sir is very true, since I already have hoses from valve covers with no catch can I suppose it's a coin toss on which route to go. Evac system would be much cheaper since cans run for almost $100 before hose fittings
Old 04-15-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Two right side valve covers with billet oil fill to 10an adapters. Fill the can with coarse steel wool. No issues at all.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3 window
Two right side valve covers with billet oil fill to 10an adapters. Fill the can with coarse steel wool. No issues at all.
How I that plumbed exactly? To me it looks like the vented catch can is on the fresh air side in the picture?
I don't see the PCV system or am I missing something?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
How I that plumbed exactly? To me it looks like the vented catch can is on the fresh air side in the picture?
there is no PCV system
Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

there is no PCV system
There is a line coming off the throttle body, Just not sure where/what it routed to.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Venting to atmosphere so no vacuum pulling on the crankcase via the intake manifold. My car is N/A and my set up is 10AN lines off the valve covers to a breather can. I've had zero issues other than having to drain the water out of the breather can during the winter months due to condensation and I've never seen condensation or water in the oil pan.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

There is a line coming off the throttle body, Just not sure where/what it routed to.
That’s an old pic. The line off the throttle body went to the manual boost controller.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Venting to atmosphere so no vacuum pulling on the crankcase via the intake manifold. My car is N/A and my set up is 10AN lines off the valve covers to a breather can. I've had zero issues other than having to drain the water out of the breather can during the winter months due to condensation and I've never seen condensation or water in the oil pan.
A lot of people run them that way and it works fine but keep in mind you aren't keeping the motor as clean as it could be. The byproducts of combustion are pretty nasty and shorten the life of oil and are a major cause of sludge over time. I don't run a PCV system on all my engines but over time I can see the effects.